Songs In Drop E. (8-string)
guitarguy93
Jul 28 2012, 02:11 PM
GMC:er
To start things off, I'd like to mention something about the thread I posted a while back;

I posted a thread stating that I had this crappy tone coming from my amp. I rolled back the presence slightly, and the ENGL sounds great now. I increased the gain on my POD slightly and it sounds wonderful as well. Sorry that I sort of ditched that thread. tongue.gif

Anyways, a couple of you around here might know me from chat, although it has been a while. Those that do might know that I have a Schecter Omen-8 that's been upgraded with DiMarzio DiActivator 8s. I want to put this bad boy to good use other than just improvising. I want to learn songs on it! I would prefer songs in Drop E (E-B-E-A-D-G-b-e), because that's what I generally tune to, but songs in standard tuning would be fine. I'm not all that fast. 16th notes at 110 BPM is about my top speed at the moment, but I hope to change that.

Any ideas, ladies and gentlemen?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Music is a way of life. You live it, you don't just listen.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 28 2012, 02:14 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I believe Animals As Leaders use that tuning. Although Tosin writes some fairly complex and intricate material. I'd personally recommend using alternate tunings, such as open tunings. I think the actual ability and range of an 8 string guitar shines much better, especially with the chord voicing. Otherwise you are looking at a tuning that just isn't used commerically all that much.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
guitarguy93
Jul 28 2012, 02:17 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 28 2012, 01:14 PM) *
I believe Animals As Leaders use that tuning. Although Tosin writes some fairly complex and intricate material. I'd personally recommend using alternate tunings, such as open tunings. I think the actual ability and range of an 8 string guitar shines much better, especially with the chord voicing. Otherwise you are looking at a tuning that just isn't used commerically all that much.

I honestly wouldn't have guessed that an Open Tuning would be the best way to go. I'm not too familiar with them. Any suggestions?

AAL has been brought up in my mind, but I can't find any songs of theirs that are as basic as my skills would allow. tongue.gif

--------------------
Music is a way of life. You live it, you don't just listen.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 30 2012, 10:37 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
For an 8 string I couldn't give too much advice, I stick to my 7's.

On a seven string I like to use a Open Dmin with an added low A, so it would be (ADADFAD), I think an 8 string really isn't "meant" for standard intervals, of course its whatever you want, just open tunings and other alternate tunings give a range that makes the instrument more unique than just two lower strings.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:48 AM