The Most Underrated Guitarist In History?
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 10 2017, 01:48 PM
Instructor
This is what Joe Satriani has to say about it...

“George Harrison, without a doubt. Just think about this, here’s a young kid at the start of a movement. Not someone who ever thought he’d be a virtuoso on the instrument, he was an all-round musician, and he was destined to write two of the most popular Beatles songs of all time, ‘Something’ and ‘Here Comes the Sun.’ His guitar playing just got better and better, right up to his untimely death…
“I want to shout this, I want to put this in capital letters—HE WAS ALWAYS, ALWAYS MUSICAL! Most people can get good physically on the guitar, it’s not really that hard, but to be musical? That’s the real trick. There are a thousand other guitar players that could play rings around George, but what have they played that you really keep in your heart?”

What do you think? Who do you think is the most underrated guitarist in history?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 10 2017, 03:18 PM
GMC:er
Ha, ha! That's great. XLNT post Gab.
Ultimately, I think I have to agree with Joe S.

Harrison, while being supremely famous as a Beatle and even as a solo artist/songwriter, is very underrated as a guitarist. How many here have learned George Harrison guitar solos, parts or chord voicings? As a guitarist, George influenced pretty much every guitarist regardless of style, that came after him. And he quickly developed an original and unique voice on the instrument.

Having said that there are SO MANY guitarists world wide that play beautifully, make a living at it and that you hear all the time and never think about who they are - more unknown than underrated. One I like to call attention to is Canadian Lenny Breau. He began playing professionally when he was a kid, he had his own TV show, made a ton of records, gave masterclasses all around the world, had a column briefly in Guitar Player mag. There's even a documentary about him but most folks - even many jazz guitarists - don't know who he is or have heard of him but have never actually heard him play. *He died tragically in LA in 1984 (murdered).

Here's a short clip of him. He starts out playing solo in a Spanish/classical vein and then goes into a jazz waltz with a trio.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Mar 10 2017, 07:03 PM

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Mar 10 2017, 05:01 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
It's a good nomination no doubt but I would have to see Satriani's George Harrison and raise him a Tommy Tedesco.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 10 2017, 09:12 PM
Shawn Lane must be reminded frequent to new generation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grappa
Mar 11 2017, 12:25 AM
Learning Roadie
Danny Gatton for me..

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 11 2017, 02:50 AM
Unknown is different than underrated.
Lane, Tedesco, Gatton, Breau are well revered as 'guitarists' within the guitar community. They may not be known outside of that community but those who know them think they're amazing.

What Gab (and Joe Satriani) are getting at by mentioning George Harrison is that while GH was mega famous and known all over the world for generations as a Beatle, he's never mentioned in the same breath with the other hot guitarists. And in many ways he's a founding father of modern electric guitar.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 11 2017, 01:27 PM
Learning Roadie
That reminds me of a charity concert with lots of famous guitarists like David Gilmour etc and Chris Rea was there ready to play guitar and they just pointed him to the mic. He has a great voice but definitely no slouch on the guitar whatsoever

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 11 2017, 03:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 10 2017, 11:18 AM) *
Ha, ha! That's great. XLNT post Gab.
Ultimately, I think I have to agree with Joe S.

Harrison, while being supremely famous as a Beatle and even as a solo artist/songwriter, is very underrated as a guitarist. How many here have learned George Harrison guitar solos, parts or chord voicings? As a guitarist, George influenced pretty much every guitarist regardless of style, that came after him. And he quickly developed an original and unique voice on the instrument.

Having said that there are SO MANY guitarists world wide that play beautifully, make a living at it and that you hear all the time and never think about who they are - more unknown than underrated. One I like to call attention to is Canadian Lenny Breau. He began playing professionally when he was a kid, he had his own TV show, made a ton of records, gave masterclasses all around the world, had a column briefly in Guitar Player mag. There's even a documentary about him but most folks - even many jazz guitarists - don't know who he is or have heard of him but have never actually heard him play. *He died tragically in LA in 1984 (murdered).

Here's a short clip of him. He starts out playing solo in a Spanish/classical vein and then goes into a jazz waltz with a trio.

He was recommend by a Jazz Guitarist with whom I've studied improvisation and I've loved him. I've been a big fan of Ted Greene's stuff so dicovering Lenny was like discovering a treasure.

By the way, this is the guitarist who recommended me Lenny. I think that you will really appreciate his playing.

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Mar 11 2017, 03:37 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 11 2017, 04:00 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 11 2017, 07:29 AM) *
By the way, this is the guitarist who recommended me Lenny. I think that you will really appreciate his playing.

He is outstanding! He sounds a bit like Lenny, especially in his right hand and with his phrasing. You are very lucky to have a resource like him.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 11 2017, 05:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 11 2017, 12:00 PM) *
He is outstanding! He sounds a bit like Lenny, especially in his right hand and with his phrasing. You are very lucky to have a resource like him.

yeah, he told me that at a moment of his life he discovered lenny and become obsessed with his playing style and technique. He stopped using pick at that moment and turn into lenny's approach. I think that's why you can note the big influence.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:27 PM