Songwriting, Feeling stuck
Fsgdjv
Oct 7 2007, 12:51 AM
GMC:er
I've been playing the guitar for almost a year now, and while I feel that I've made a lot of progress when it comes to the technique and even theory, I'm feeling really bad about my songwriting. And that isn't a minor problem, because the reason I play guitar is to play my own stuff, playing others songs can be fun, but it's just not satisfying.

In my year of playing, I've only "completed" (it still need some polish, but..) one song. I know it's not supposed to be easy, but I try to sit every day and make up riffs etc, but it feels like it's my hands who just plays something, and not that I actually control what sound comes out of the guitar. And when I finally make up something I like, it's almost impossible to make something fit together with it. I know it takes time, but I still think that I should be making some progress.

So basically, what I'm wondering is if you have any tips for composing stuff, and I also just would like to hear about how you feel about composing, how long time it took for you to become good at it, etc. Just whatever you have to say about songwriting and the likes will be appreciated. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Oct 7 2007, 08:01 AM
Instructor
Hi Fsgdjv,
First of all, thanks for starting this thread. It's a very interesting side of music.
I can talk about my experience. I don't remember when I started to write my own music but I know what happens now. Sometimes I play cover songs, licks or just improvising. Then some ideas come out from my hands. After that, I try to follow what my head "sings".
Sometimes I wake up in the morning and I have a melody on my head.
It's important to ear a lot of different music. You can write original music but however you have been influenced by other artists.
You can analyze many songs, chord progressions, structures, riffs, etc.
You can learn chords, scales, licks and these become parts of your musical vocabulary.
With this vocabulary and (hopefully) with your own ideas you write your music.
I know that there courses for music writing. But, honestly, I don't know how useful they are.
Maybe in classical music...

I hope you will find your way.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Oct 7 2007, 08:15 AM
Get to da Chopper!
I think that having a songwriting board/lesson series would definately benefit the site.

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Oct 7 2007, 06:36 PM
Thanks a lot jerry, yeah, I suppose if I just give it a bit time, everything will come. And I agree that courses for writing music seems a bit of a waste. Thanks a lot for those words smile.gif

And DeepRoots, I agree, a songwriting board would be great rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Oct 7 2007, 07:27 PM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Oct 7 2007, 01:15 AM) *
definately

http://d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/ wink.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Robin
Oct 7 2007, 07:56 PM
QUOTE (botoxfox @ Oct 7 2007, 06:27 PM) *

Why havent anyone told me that before >_< thanks 8)

About songwriting. I cant possibly "write" music, no freakin chance, not to save my life. All I do is jam. Thats it, jam, and suddenly you have plenty of riffs that you can use in a song. If I think about whats right and wrong it goes straight to hell. Also I often hear melodies in my head that I just play on the guitar.

Whenever I come up with a kickass riff I use my headset mic to record so I wont forget how the riff was. I just use that windows sound recording thing.

Oh and btw, one year is

NOTHING!

Give it a few more years.

This post has been edited by Robin: Oct 7 2007, 07:59 PM

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Oct 7 2007, 08:08 PM
QUOTE (Robin @ Oct 7 2007, 12:56 PM) *
Why havent anyone told me that before >_< thanks 8)

Oh, but I have.... biggrin.gif
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...ost&p=67931

--------------------

+Quote Post
Robin
Oct 7 2007, 08:49 PM
QUOTE (botoxfox @ Oct 7 2007, 07:08 PM) *

Oh didnt notice biggrin.gif

I definitely got to start spelling "definitely" correct from now on blink.gif

This post has been edited by Robin: Oct 7 2007, 08:49 PM

+Quote Post
steve25
Oct 8 2007, 07:03 AM
I'm the same at the moment but i've also only been playing for a year. Haven't learned enough on my guitar yet. Still a long way to go

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:59 AM