New Axe, First Impressions + A Few Questions., Schecter Hellraiser C1 FR
LaneGriff
Apr 17 2008, 03:33 PM
GMC:er
These are my first impressions, because I've only logged about 10 hours of playing time on this thing.

Edit: Forgot to mention, thanks to Goliath for introducing me to this guitar via this thread

I'm kind of dissapointed at this point. I do believe I can get to the point where I'm not dissapointed, but comparing this to the les paul Im used to playing... I guess I set myself up for failure.

Dissapointments:
1. The sustain is far less than my les paul. I was expecting less sustain, but this is a dramatic change.
2. I have to push the strings down much harder than what I'm used to (maybe this has to do with the action or whatever, im not sure).
3. The EMG's (81/85) sound only a fraction hotter than the stock LP's with regards to distortion. Hopefully this is just a problem with my amp (Line 6 Spider III).

2 and 3 don't bother me much, because I'm sure I can find its groove and make the guitar work for me. But the sustain issue... This is bad me thinks.

The Pros:
1. Floyd rose baby! The dive bombs, squeals, and just incredible wacky noises you can make are awesome!
2. Looks great, the black cherry finish is fantastic. No picture does it justice
3. Its light, and thin, and the frets that are hard to reach on the LP are very easy reach on the Hellraiser
4. Contrary to popular "interwebz" beliefs... the cleans from the EMG on the neck are great (atleast on this particular guitar), much better sounding than my LP. They are warm and full, and even sound good when your aggressive with the pick on them.

So heres a few questions I'd like to ask.

I want this guitar to be in Drop C, locked in... and never change the tuning really. Only time I would even unlock it would be to change strings. Looking around the net, I've read numerous articles citing that you need to adjust springs, widen screw holes (?), block the bridge etc... What do you guys suggest?

Should I get this thing professionally set up? Should I take it somewhere, and list my problems, and see if a professional could help me out?

Here's a picture of the 2 ladies, vying for my attention now.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by LaneGriff: Apr 17 2008, 03:35 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pi38
Apr 17 2008, 03:39 PM
Just so see those two guitars...*sniff* it brought a tear to my eye. Seriously, those are Beautiful with a capital "B".

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
at lights end
Apr 17 2008, 03:52 PM
wow, those guitars are gorgeous!
love the hellraiser.
as for the setup, widening screw holes? i can't see where that would come in.
you could set it up yourself, but it will take a long time. you have to adjust the springs in the back to make sure the bridge is level. make sure you have the right kind of string gauge for drop c (012s or 013s). you might have to adjust the intonation too. if you don't know how to do it then getting it professionally done is your best option.

edit: getting a pro setup should sort the action problem too.

This post has been edited by at lights end: Apr 17 2008, 03:53 PM

--------------------
“You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.”

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 17 2008, 03:57 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Nice looking guitar!

Lack of sustain. Could be that the distance between the pickups and the strings is too short. I don't know what's recommended for active EMG's but try to adjust the two screws, one on each side of each pu sitting on the frame.

Maybe also comparing to a Gibson LP is unfair to all other guitars wink.gif

For Drop C I'd put on really thick strings, like 011, and then adjust the springs or even replace with new springs that are fit to hold 011 in drop C. The gauge is possible to calculate in theory.
Drop D is just the thick E string and if I get the terminology around tunings correct drop C is all strings?

Mind that you can't add thicker strings, tune down, remove all springs but one and expect a teriffic sound. Try to meet an appropriate gauge... f.ex try the tremolo now, remember how it feels,
- adjust the "sled" that holds the springs (screws into the body)
- for starters, keep the springs you've got on.
- tune to drop C until the tremolo aligns with the body (there's either a marker on the trem or you just match it to the flat part of the body.
This can take quite some time the first time around. But it's really good to know how to, and be familiar with this.

Put a piece of wood, battery, whatever, under the back of the tremolo so it doesn't fall back into the cavity.

Regarding the pushing-string-down-harder part, I don't know the FR at all, perhaps it's frets are higher and you press your finger too far back from the fret, trying to meet the wood instead of "fretting". The distance would be farther and maybe harder to push. Just guessing here.

About how hot they sound. ...man, excuse me for being so blunt but you have to ditch the Spider. Find a hot tube amp for your compadres wink.gif

+Quote Post
LaneGriff
Apr 17 2008, 04:03 PM
Wow. Quick and helpful responses. Thanks.

QUOTE (MickeM @ Apr 17 2008, 09:57 AM) *
About how hot they sound. ...man, excuse me for being so blunt but you have to ditch the Spider. Find a hot tube amp for your compadres wink.gif

No need to be excused. I believe this myself laugh.gif

This post has been edited by LaneGriff: Apr 17 2008, 04:04 PM

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 17 2008, 11:15 PM
Instructor
Beautiful guitar man. COngratulations smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Apr 18 2008, 01:06 AM
Instructor
Nice guitars, love the lp!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Nick325
Apr 18 2008, 01:17 AM
nice guitar smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:17 PM