Analog Or Digital Delay?
sted
Sep 19 2009, 06:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
finally got my tax rebate, which is going on sorting out a nice new pedalboard, the list so far reads:

TS-9, OCD, Hardwire Tuner, EH electric mistress, MXR 108 fuzz (or maybe muff pi) all on a diago pedal board with power station.

I need to add a delay and have been quite taken with the new Nova repeater, however i keep hearing that everyone prefers analog delyas such as the EH memory man, I want something gig friendly so tap tempo is very high on the list, as is the ability to be powered from the power station, any suggestions?

Oh and feel free to point me to any awesome pedals you think I should check out, I like Hendrix, SRV, Gary Moore etc smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 13)
ZakkWylde
Sep 19 2009, 06:44 PM
Learning Tone Master
First of all: Tubescreamer and OCD?!? Two overdrive pedals? I think the OCD does everything a tubescreamer does but that's your call...You could save some money if you don't need them for diffrent things!

An analog delay will sound much fuller and warmer while a digital delay has more tweaking options. Analog delays are a bit limited with delay speeds and such while digital delays sound thinner and more sterile compared to an analog one.

I really love the new MXR Carbon Copy delay, it's fully analog with a beautiful sound and surprisingly versatile tweaking options for an analog pedal! It's no wonder that it's already on Slash's and Gary Moore's pedal board!!!!
Give the Carbon Copy a try, it has the widest band of tweaking options of all (non boutique) analog delays. If you need more tweakability then go for a digital one...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Sep 19 2009, 06:47 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
My preference would be Analog. I haven't shopped for pedal in quit a long time so I'm not sure if you can get one with Tap tempo function. Also try and find something that is true bypass so you don't kill your signal with all this chained together.

I have always found Analog to be a much more natural, warmer sound. Digital can become a little thin and sterile.

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
JVM
Sep 19 2009, 06:56 PM
Learning Roadie
Check out the electro harmonix stereo memory man with hazarai. Basically a digital version of the analogue deluxe memory man, with many awesome features. Includes a filter knob to fatten up the delays and sound more analogue. My favorite pedal out there, hands down.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Staffy
Sep 19 2009, 06:58 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Sep 19 2009, 07:47 PM) *
I have always found Analog to be a much more natural, warmer sound. Digital can become a little thin and sterile.

I think TC Nova is a really good digital one, but i agree to that an analog is warmer, but then its a question of what you should use it for. I mean, just for adding a lttle delay in the background of the sound, there's no need for spending a lot of money. I own an old Boss DD-2 and it works fine in live situations.

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
sted
Sep 20 2009, 08:38 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Sep 19 2009, 06:44 PM) *
First of all: Tubescreamer and OCD?!? Two overdrive pedals? I think the OCD does everything a tubescreamer does but that's your call...You could save some money if you don't need them for diffrent things!
I really love the new MXR Carbon Copy delay, it's fully analog with a beautiful sound and surprisingly versatile tweaking options for an analog pedal! It's no wonder that it's already on Slash's and Gary Moore's pedal board!!!!
Give the Carbon Copy a try, it has the widest band of tweaking options of all (non boutique) analog delays. If you need more tweakability then go for a digital one...

The TS9 is a really nice bluesy pedal, but it just doesnt push my amp hard enough, hence the OCD as well for more rocking sounds, im getting an 18v supply for the OCD as well which should improve things further. I looked at the Carbon copy but its very sparse on features, which does put me off a little, I suppose just for a bit of trail it would be ideal but the nova has features that just appeal to me.

QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Sep 19 2009, 06:47 PM) *
My preference would be Analog. I haven't shopped for pedal in quit a long time so I'm not sure if you can get one with Tap tempo function. Also try and find something that is true bypass so you don't kill your signal with all this chained together.

there are some with tap tempo, I beleive the diamond memory lane has one but its a lot of dough for a delay pedal, plus its huge!

QUOTE (JVM @ Sep 19 2009, 06:56 PM) *
Check out the electro harmonix stereo memory man with hazarai. Basically a digital version of the analogue deluxe memory man, with many awesome features. Includes a filter knob to fatten up the delays and sound more analogue. My favorite pedal out there, hands down.

Yeah I checked this out, very cool pedal but probably a lot of features I wouldnt use, i like the 9v opration though, maybe ill revisit this one.

QUOTE (Staffy @ Sep 19 2009, 06:58 PM) *
I think TC Nova is a really good digital one, but i agree to that an analog is warmer, but then its a question of what you should use it for. I mean, just for adding a lttle delay in the background of the sound, there's no need for spending a lot of money. I own an old Boss DD-2 and it works fine in live situations.

//Staffay

Quite agree staffy mate, the nova repeater is like 125 pound which is a lot but not compared to its big brother the nova delay which is double, then theres the eventide stuff ofc but that silly money! One that caught my eye was this one:

Attached Image

Seems to have all the bases covered but I cant find a price on them yet, let alone find one in the uk! it might be worth just getting a boss or something until this is available.

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 20 2009, 12:47 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I recently got me a Vox Time Machine, it has tap delay, up to 6 seconds delay time, and a modern/vintage mode to choose either digital delay or simulate the warmth of an analog unit.

Give it a try in your shop if you can.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 20 2009, 01:06 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
The best Delays I've tried is the T-REX Replica and the Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay.
The T-REX got much more options, but they're both awesome! You should check it out smile.gif

+Quote Post
sted
Sep 20 2009, 01:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
Someone else recommended this one.......

Attached Image

Unbeleivably it has analog (Proper bucket brigade chip) and digital with tap tempo, ratio adjust for faster slapback, 9vDC compatible, wet/dry knob, effects loop....

A little more than the Nova at around 200 pounds but seems to tick every box I wanted and take away the decision about analog or digital because its both! also love the true bypass or buffer mode for trails, excellent bit of kit.

+Quote Post
Alex87
Sep 20 2009, 01:58 PM
GMC:er
I'd go for either the T-rex replica which has extremely many features. I believe it's a hybrid of digital and analogue.
Personally i use Carl Martin DeLayla XL, which is very nice analogue delay. It has nice and easy tap tempo, and also a cool slapback function smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender Lead I - 1979, Hamer Steven Stevens sign. (modified) - 1986, Cort western, Santana acoustic

Amps:
Laney Lionheart LH5, Roland Cube 20 (the original orange one)

Effects (on board):
Boss TU-2 Tuner, Homebrew CPR Compressor, EHX Small Stone, Maxon OD-9 Overdrive, Mad Professor Mellow Yellow Tremolo, Boss DD-2, Carl Martin DeLayla XL, TC Electronic SCF1 Chorus/Flanger/Pitch Mod.

Effects (spare):
Boss OD-1 Overdrive, Boss CE-2 Chrous, Boss CS-1 Compressor, Schaller Volume Control, Boss PH-2 Phaser, Boss RV-2 Reverb

+Quote Post
sted
Sep 20 2009, 04:03 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Alex87 @ Sep 20 2009, 01:58 PM) *
I'd go for either the T-rex replica which has extremely many features. I believe it's a hybrid of digital and analogue.
Personally i use Carl Martin DeLayla XL, which is very nice analogue delay. It has nice and easy tap tempo, and also a cool slapback function smile.gif

Well, it is a very nice pedal, but its still digital, and its nearly 320 pounds, way, way too expensive. I'll check out the carl Martin, but I think the SD has me sold now.

+Quote Post
JVM
Sep 20 2009, 04:13 PM
Learning Roadie
You may not use all of the features of the hazarai, but even if you only use one or two (and maybe more as you grow to like it biggrin.gif) that leaves you more space open to save several nice delay presets. Just sayin' wink.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
inertia
Sep 20 2009, 06:33 PM
GMC:er
definitely grab the new EHX memory boy, it's half the price of most delays and sounds great, much better than the carbon copy and much less expensive plus way more control over of the modulations
I already have the hardwire dl8 which is a great pedal but the memory offers better analog and modulation and at the price point you can't beat it

This post has been edited by inertia: Sep 20 2009, 06:34 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 22 2009, 12:06 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (sted @ Sep 19 2009, 07:36 PM) *
finally got my tax rebate, which is going on sorting out a nice new pedalboard, the list so far reads:

TS-9, OCD, Hardwire Tuner, EH electric mistress, MXR 108 fuzz (or maybe muff pi) all on a diago pedal board with power station.

I need to add a delay and have been quite taken with the new Nova repeater, however i keep hearing that everyone prefers analog delyas such as the EH memory man, I want something gig friendly so tap tempo is very high on the list, as is the ability to be powered from the power station, any suggestions?

Oh and feel free to point me to any awesome pedals you think I should check out, I like Hendrix, SRV, Gary Moore etc smile.gif

Analog delays will cost you more, specially the ones packed with features like tap tempo or modulation.

I am getting analog delay stomp soon, so I investigated quite a lot in the boutique and mainstream categories. I will give you some pointers if you can tell us whats the budget. This is the main thing that determines the stomp you will get, and I can narrow down the search a lot (since there are quite a few delays out there).

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:03 PM