2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Do You Like Pop?
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 11 2011, 05:55 AM
Instructor
I can find myself listening to In Flames and then I can be listening to Blur... I don't know if it's weird or not but I can enjoy many different music styles going from Extreme Metal to Pop or Classical. As I have been listening to many different Pop songs the last hour I was wondering if you guys enjoy Pop Music and which bands or artists..

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 11 2011, 06:53 AM
GMC:er
I'm much the same way smile.gif My tastes tend to be quite broad. This is not something I've found common with many band mates I've had over the years. Far too often, folks get almost "stuck" listening to the same music/type of music to the exclusion of other things. The good news is, as time passes, one's ears tend to get "bigger" and you start being open to things outside a given niche.

I actually picked up playing Bass guitar and played in a gigging blues band for about a year to learn more about blues, then took classical lessons for a couple of years, after years of being self taught. I even bought a mandolin to learn bluegrass.

I think it's very important to embrace as many styles/influences as possible. Even if they only impact your playing to a small degree, I think we grow when we step outside our comfort zone so it's crucial.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Oct 11 2011, 07:16 AM
Instructor
I love this song by Rihanna

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 11 2011, 12:40 PM
Instructor
I can listen lots of different stuff too, ranging from country, blues, RnB, soul, funk, jazz, pop, classical, rock, hard rock, metal, heavy metal, progressive metal bands, djent, everything I find interesting. I like melody, good melody, this is why I don't really listen a lot to modern metal bands, I think it's over the top. Each age, it's own music I guess. I was into progressive techno music for a while when younger, listened to minimal, trance and other electronic music, that can be cool too sometimes smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 11 2011, 04:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 11 2011, 08:40 AM) *
I can listen lots of different stuff too, ranging from country, blues, RnB, soul, funk, jazz, pop, classical, rock, hard rock, metal, heavy metal, progressive metal bands, djent, everything I find interesting. I like melody, good melody, this is why I don't really listen a lot to modern metal bands, I think it's over the top. Each age, it's own music I guess. I was into progressive techno music for a while when younger, listened to minimal, trance and other electronic music, that can be cool too sometimes smile.gif

yeah, you give me the reason why I can enjoy lots of different styles... I love melody, no matter the shape, sound or background that can be heard, melody is so important for me.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Oct 11 2011, 05:49 PM
I like soda pop, is that counted? tongue.gif

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Oct 11 2011, 06:18 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Mostly no, american pop music is devoid of dynamics for me. I am probably being picky but I find that most of it feels so 'automated', like it is churned out by a pressing machine. I am not saying it is, but a lot of the singers and musicians have such a 'standard' voice or sound. I mean between the few people I can think of like Kesha, Lady Gaga, Rihanna, nothing I hear actually differentiates them. Heavy vocoders, and similar vocal melodies.

This is just what my ears hear, but like I said, I am probably too picky.

+Quote Post
Sickz666
Oct 11 2011, 07:10 PM
I can listen to more instrument oriented pop, not too much into the techo pop scene (except maybe one or two gaga songs).

When i listen to pop i listen to stuff like: Michael Jackson, Coldplay, James Blunt, John Mayer, Jason Mraz and Jack Johnson. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Oct 11 2011, 07:51 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
I like some pop songs, it all comes down to melody for me. But I'm not always in the mood for pop music.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Oct 11 2011, 09:28 PM
Instructor
I can listen to pop casual, you can hear a lot of interesting tunes there smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Oct 12 2011, 12:35 AM

(Blame Sollesnes)

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Oct 12 2011, 12:42 AM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Oct 12 2011, 01:04 AM
Learning Tone Master
Yes. Although I prefer japanese and korean pop by far (I completely love jpop smile.gif), there are severeal great pop musicians in the west, Lady Gaga being one. smile.gif

Oh, if we're posting videos I might as well post this. Beautiful song with great lyrics smile.gif

or this

..I'm such a geek. xD

+Quote Post
rokchik
Oct 12 2011, 01:13 AM
The Dark Canuck
I listen to just about everything... well except new country, I'm not a fan. But I could be listening to Rammstein one moment then Frank Sinatra, then Rhianna, then GNR, then Johnny Cash, then The Dubliners smile.gif

I enjoy pop music but I don't like much of what is played on the radio today. But there are some gems... Adele for one is brilliant.

+Quote Post
OzRob
Oct 12 2011, 09:05 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Oct 12 2011, 03:18 AM) *
I mean between the few people I can think of like Kesha, Lady Gaga, Rihanna, nothing I hear actually differentiates them.

It's interesting how differently any of us hear things. From where I stand Lady Gaga is a breath of fresh air in the pop world. In terms of musicality and professionalism I think she's head and shoulders above the crowd. She has the flair and showmanship of Madonna, and there is a maturity to her music that is lacking from others in the genre. Personally, I've actually bought a few Gaga singles. tongue.gif

--------------------
------------------------
My website (Flash) My other website (non-Flash)
------------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Oct 12 2011, 10:24 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (OzRob @ Oct 12 2011, 04:05 AM) *
It's interesting how differently any of us hear things. From where I stand Lady Gaga is a breath of fresh air in the pop world. In terms of musicality and professionalism I think she's head and shoulders above the crowd. She has the flair and showmanship of Madonna, and there is a maturity to her music that is lacking from others in the genre. Personally, I've actually bought a few Gaga singles. tongue.gif

My wife loves her, and I have actually listened to entire albums of her - two I think. I hear the lyrics, and it just makes me feel ambivalent. For me, I kind of need mental stimulation, I need music that I can daydream to, so that eliminates a lot of pop.

That being said, JPop can be very interesting with its odd vocal stylings and strange melodies.

I also too, blame Sollesness. Every time he posts a video on facebook I find myself watching the whole thing laugh.gif

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Oct 12 2011, 10:53 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Oct 12 2011, 11:24 PM) *
I also too, blame Sollesness. Every time he posts a video on facebook I find myself watching the whole thing laugh.gif

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 13 2011, 01:15 AM
Some really cool vids. smile.gif Speaking of pop, here is Sting doing a tune while playing a classical guitar which he picked up some years ago. As pop songs go, it's one of my favs. But I don't think it ever got that "popular", so maybe pop is a stretch. Good clasical guitar / pop lead in the middle too. Constructing a lead like this can be a challenge and he pulls it off pretty well.

This song was used in on of my fav films. LEON The Professional. The American Theatrical cut is CRAAAAPPP! But the real version (the one only released in theatres in Europe and Finally on DVD in the states) is a monument of a film. Just brilliant. Here is a clip. (Feat. Natalie Portman in her first film, age 12, and Gary Oldman as a nut job)

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 13 2011, 01:23 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 13 2011, 01:58 PM
Instructor
Music is still music smile.gif we're the only ones creating the categories wink.gif I listen to a lot of styles so I have nothing against pop music, as long as it's good!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 13 2011, 08:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (rokchik @ Oct 11 2011, 09:13 PM) *
I listen to just about everything... well except new country, I'm not a fan. But I could be listening to Rammstein one moment then Frank Sinatra, then Rhianna, then GNR, then Johnny Cash, then The Dubliners smile.gif

I enjoy pop music but I don't like much of what is played on the radio today. But there are some gems... Adele for one is brilliant.

yeah, Adele is brilliant!

Great posts and links guys! Sollesnes links sound unique to my ears....

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Oct 13 2011, 09:35 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Oct 12 2011, 11:24 PM) *

I think we all know that phenomenon laugh.gif But let's be honestm there are worse fates in the world wink.gif
Though I will always blame him for posting the nyan-nyan cat! And this piece (since Christmas is coming soon, according to the stuff they sell in the supermarket since the beginning of september):

Isn't it funny how this thread got from a pop music to a "What has Sollesness done to us?" thread? laugh.gif
May the winter fairy bless him wink.gif

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:06 AM