Guns N Roses 1st Solo
Frank
May 23 2011, 01:19 AM
GMC:er
Let me know what do you think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruG2szxP2tw

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 23 2011, 08:47 AM
Instructor
Hi Frank,

This is a good attempt.. I would say to spend some time working on the timing of the solo as you went behind a little bit. If you also spend some time working on string bending it will benefit you greatly. Your bends were quite good but they could be even better yet smile.gif

Your tone was good and very authentic... very similar to a certain Mr Slash himself cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Sean_1234
May 23 2011, 09:42 AM
QUOTE (Frank @ May 23 2011, 02:19 AM) *
Let me know what do you think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruG2szxP2tw

Some really god stuff going on here! I advise you to take a few extra good listens to the original, or watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5gEgqLultI (see description for lesson). Then, try to play the backing track and sing the solo, so it's exactly like it is on the record (regarding timing of course! Whether you sing like Axl rose or like a 9-year old, doesn't really matter wink.gif )! When you're able to do that, then try to use your guitar and record the solo.

As for technique, actually prety much OK! Vibrato is really nice, and that's a good thing for beginners. Bending is sometimes out of tune, but that just takes time to learn and controll smile.gif

Have fun with it!

Sean

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 23 2011, 09:45 AM
Nice! smile.gif Putting the pieces together is tough and it's starting to sound very SLASH! Ben is right on the money here with his thoughts. You can slide the track of you playing around a bit in your DAW, or maybe go back and do a few more passes. The more the merrier smile.gif Keep them all and pick the one you like best. Hopefully your DAW will let you do this. If not, go download REAPER! smile.gif

When recording a solo, I'll often let it loop and do repeated takes and they do sometimes get better and better. Sometimes, playing, stopping, previewing, playing stoping previewing, can get in your way. So try to do several takes in a row and then listen afterward. See if this helps smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 23 2011, 09:59 AM
Instructor
biggrin.gif Hey Frank, indeed, as Mr. Higgins pointed, your tone is very good biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
May 23 2011, 03:44 PM
Instructor
Yes, I agree the tone is getting very close to the original and slashy, it cuts through.

I think a big problem is the start of the third phrase. Notice that the first two are perfectly executed but the third one starts at the wrong beat.

Maybe a good exercise you could try is to play ONLY the first 1 or 2 notes of each phrase so you know where each phrase starts.

Don't worry about playing the whole solo in the first attempt. Just play one or two notes of every phrase and sing in your head the rest of the phrase,

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Frank
May 23 2011, 05:24 PM
HI! Thank you guys fore the good comments. Daniel pleas point out exactly where that 3rd part starts. As far as bending goes, I just got this guitar yes today and I have to get use to it. I notice that the bending is slightly different from anther guitar with what I play every day. Thank you fore letting me knows that the ton is good. Should be good.The Guitar is Gibson Traditional with a 50s neck and the old original Humbucking pickups and the guitar is brand new. Thank you all.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:16 AM