Laney Amp. Help? Urgent :mellow:
bsamn
Dec 29 2007, 12:38 AM
GMC:er
Hey guys.

Ok i wanted ur advice on something.
Im getting a kickass deal on Laney amp Lionheart series (L20T-410 which is combo one and L20H head with LT212 cab).

This will be my first tube amplifer. and where i live this is the only thing i can get plus its falling in my budget perfectly.

I dunno what to get either the head with cab, which is a bit more expensive than the combo?
or the combo one? Link for the site

And one more thing will it be worth it, i mean buying it?

Anyone pls help?

Quicker the better, coz then just close the deal.

Thanks for the help is advance smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 29 2007, 01:10 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I've looked at this amp since it came out. smile.gif

I like the looks of the L20T but I'd prefer to own a the L20H + cabinet for one reason only, it's got 12" speakers while the other got 10".
So that's what I'd do, oh well there's four of the 10" ones but only two of the 12" but never the same I've had 8x10 and exchanged for 4x12 and the 12" are less responsive but are so much fatter in sound.

Hope that helped.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
bsamn
Dec 29 2007, 01:32 AM
Hey MikeM, thanks alot for the help.

Just one more thing i wanted to ask you, why is it so pricey? even though its just 20watts, i mean is it a diff kind of output rating than normal watts?

and whats the advantage of having cab+head then just having combo.

Thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
Goliath
Dec 29 2007, 05:56 AM
the tubes in a head will typically last longer if the rig is not abused, but the vibrations generated by the speakers in a combo will typically shorten the tube life of the amp. Plus, if you decide you want to switch up your rig down the road and go for the 4x12 then you will be fine. Plus, sometimes the extension 2x12 cab + the head is easier to transport than the combo.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 29 2007, 08:01 AM
QUOTE (bsamn @ Dec 29 2007, 01:32 AM) *
Hey MikeM, thanks alot for the help.

Just one more thing i wanted to ask you, why is it so pricey? even though its just 20watts, i mean is it a diff kind of output rating than normal watts?

and whats the advantage of having cab+head then just having combo.

Thanks

I belive the price is set a bit on the high side from this amp being class A (four EL84 class A is leaning towards it's at 24W)
Then some gold pated stuff inside so this is to be seen as a baron among pesants wink.gif Whether it's infact is a baron or not I belive you have to judge. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 29 2007, 01:01 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well combo is great for carrying around for gigs etc..But I think the head + cab is much more versatile option..You can change cabs(speaker configuration options)...I bought a bass combo amp (that has a separate option same head + cab) and I regret it..I mean its great for gigs to carry around but I now want a different speaker configuration wink.gif So If you can , go for the Head + cab option..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
bsamn
Dec 29 2007, 03:34 PM
Hey,

Thanks every1, for the info, especial mikem.
I got both the head and cab for 900 USD, hope its a kickass price.

Finally my first awesome amp.....i mean i have been playing on mg30 (marshall) forever, and this is one just kills it.

Thanks again every1.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 29 2007, 03:55 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (bsamn @ Dec 29 2007, 02:34 AM) *
Hey,

Thanks every1, for the info, especial mikem.
I got both the head and cab for 900 USD, hope its a kickass price.

Finally my first awesome amp.....i mean i have been playing on mg30 (marshall) forever, and this is one just kills it.

Thanks again every1.

You're gonna love it biggrin.gif I'm saving for a laney myself.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
bsamn
Dec 29 2007, 04:03 PM
OK now, help me out here.

For some reason im getting this weird static shock from the strings.
Another thing when i go around the amp i get this weird smell, i mean is that fine is it the smell of the tube.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Dec 29 2007, 05:29 PM
Learning Roadie
I don't think tubes have a really distinct smell - at least i haven't noticed any.

You're getting a shock from the strings? That sounds really bad. I don't know what would be causing that but be careful man. Where'd you get it from?

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
preownedguitar
Dec 29 2007, 05:40 PM
When I had my Mesa boogie, I could smell the tubes when the heat up. I like the smell actually. But hey, you could always try a different brand tube.

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strings:
Any 9-42's for strings.
Amp:
Carvin Bel Air 212 (2x12 50 Watt all tube), Carvin 212E Cabinet (2x12 120w)
Gutars:
Ibanez RG2550e Prestige, Galaxy black
94' Fender Stratocaster Black w/Black pearl pickguard
Pedals:
Keeley Flexi 4x12 Ibanez Tube Screamer
Keeley DS-1 Ultra
Keeley Compressor
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah
Pod X3 Live
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 29 2007, 08:19 PM
Congrats on the new amp! I'd really like a Lionheart too. smile.gif

The smell is possible from (someone fill in the right word here) inflammable-protection-paste/spray.
Smells like the guys locker room or an old music store storageroom.

The static electricity in the strings... I've got no clue. They should have no contact with anything electric... beats me.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Dec 29 2007, 08:20 PM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 29 2007, 09:52 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (bsamn @ Dec 29 2007, 04:03 PM) *
OK now, help me out here.

For some reason im getting this weird static shock from the strings.
Another thing when i go around the amp i get this weird smell, i mean is that fine is it the smell of the tube.

Do you hear electricity noise when you touch the strings ?? That can be caused by bad wiring in guitar , or power socket that is not well grounded...

For the smell I don't know..I think its new amp burning up (excess glue , paint , etc) wink.gif When you buy something new It always smells when you plug it in for the first time wink.gif

Congratulations on a new amp! wink.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Dec 29 2007, 09:54 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
bsamn
Dec 29 2007, 10:04 PM
yea

Thanks everyone.

the static was coz of my freaking 3 pin plug, which has gone bad, once plugged straight into the wall it was perfect.

Anyway thanks again everyone, for the help and support,

Appreciate it alot.

Take care.

This post has been edited by bsamn: Dec 29 2007, 10:05 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Owen
Dec 30 2007, 12:31 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Dec 29 2007, 11:19 AM) *
The smell is possible from (someone fill in the right word here) inflammable-protection-paste/spray.
Smells like the guys locker room or an old music store storageroom.

Yeah, my amp still smells of that stuff a year after getting it, so dont expect the smell to go away fast, its bearable though.

Congrats on the purchase though, I hope you enjoy it! smile.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
bsamn
Dec 31 2007, 11:02 PM
Yup owen, enjoying every bit of it biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 1 2008, 06:09 PM
Learning Roadie
Awesome - write a review of it! I'm considering this along with the GH50L for my next amp purchase - is this loud enough for band situations without being mic'd (obviously not for all situations, but practice rehearsal stuff - I don't mind mic'ing at a club)?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:23 AM