Amp Output To Computer?, errr..
Rooks
Jul 22 2008, 07:18 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys.. I got my hands on a cable with big jack in one end and small jack in the other. One fits amp one fits computer.. And I got Reaper for recording software.. Now all I'm worried about is, theres no headphone output from my amp, only an output in the back saying "Extern Speaker - 50w RMS" and then a warning sign .. hmm ..

I dont want to break my laptop OR new amp.. Is it safe to plug that output into my soundcard? I'm thinking .. This is a pretty big amp.. And a very small soundcard .. Is there anything to worry about on that account?

Thanks wink.gif

-Rooks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear: Guitar Cort EVL X4 , Squier Strat Amp Peavey Valveking 112 50w
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 22 2008, 07:20 PM
QUOTE (Rooks @ Jul 22 2008, 08:18 PM) *
Hey guys.. I got my hands on a cable with big jack in one end and small jack in the other. One fits amp one fits computer.. And I got Reaper for recording software.. Now all I'm worried about is, theres no headphone output from my amp, only an output in the back saying "Extern Speaker - 50w RMS" and then a warning sign .. hmm ..

I dont want to break my laptop OR new amp.. Is it safe to plug that output into my soundcard? I'm thinking .. This is a pretty big amp.. And a very small soundcard .. Is there anything to worry about on that account?

Thanks wink.gif

-Rooks

DOOOO NOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

Your soundcard needs a standard signal, not a power signal.
A signal to soundcard should ALWAYS be from the preamp.

Unless you have an output saying "headphones" or "Emulated line out" or something like that, do nottttttttt do it.

Edit:

And by the way, is it a tubeamp?
Also, make sure you ONLY USE POWERCABLES (they have much thicker wires than signalcables, and no shielding.) from the poweroutput to your cabinet.

Again: be very careful here and ask before you act.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by kjutte: Jul 22 2008, 07:22 PM

+Quote Post
Rooks
Jul 22 2008, 08:08 PM
Its a combo amp, so it is built in on top of the cabinet.. No cable..

That port is the only jack output from the amp.. But I wont put it in my soundcard if you say its a no-go..

On the front of the amp I have two jack ports under "effects" saying "Send + Return" .. Im not all sure how this is used.. I did read the instr. manual but didn't clearify it for me ..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 22 2008, 08:16 PM
Instructor
You need to use Balanced Line Out jack/s to connect it with your PC,
even unbalanced Line Out isn't best option.

But DO NOT plug it via speaker out jack. biggrin.gif

Send + Return are for use of external effect device,to put it into fx loop. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Rooks
Jul 22 2008, 08:20 PM
Ok, Someone please tell me then happy.gif

How the schnitzel am I going to get signal from my amp to my computer, without breaking anything smile.gif
What output from amp, what hardware? I went to the hi-fi store local they knew nada.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 22 2008, 08:36 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
The Valveking is a tube amp and (if) it has no line out you can't connect it to your computer.

But don't despair you could get a redbox/DI box and connect to the computer from that. If converts your signal from the Extrernal speaker jack into a balanced signal. The down side is that the poweramp can't work without a connected load so you have to get a speaker cabinet to connect the redbox speaker-our jack into.

Otherwise you can get a SM-57 mic to get the sound from your amp into your soundcard.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 22 2008, 08:59 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
If it doesn't have recording out or balanced di out than you can't connect it that way , and I suggest using MickeM's method with di box..Also I would suggest getting a cheap recording interface like Toneport and using a microphone to capture the sound of the amp.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Rooks
Jul 22 2008, 08:59 PM
Maybe I should just skip the amp and record directly from the guitar, that way I suppose I can use my signal cable ... ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jul 22 2008, 09:16 PM
Instructor
I would have done what MickeM and Bogan suggests. Get a DI-Box. They dont cost alot and will make your recording-projects a LOT easier.

Here's an example of one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BBE-ACTIVE-DIRECT-...1QQcmdZViewItem This one's got the sonix maximizer feature aswell.

You can probably find cheaper ones too.

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Jul 22 2008, 09:18 PM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Rooks
Jul 22 2008, 09:21 PM
He. Except I'd need a connected load along with the DI-Box according to MickeM, and thats where it stops being cheap i guess tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 22 2008, 09:27 PM
QUOTE (Rooks @ Jul 22 2008, 10:21 PM) *
He. Except I'd need a connected load along with the DI-Box according to MickeM, and thats where it stops being cheap i guess tongue.gif

Perhaps there are tools that can simulate a load. Someone else might have ideas on what to put in the "through" connector.
Otherwise there are cheapo 1x12 cabinets at thomann.de for 60 Euro ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jul 22 2008, 09:33 PM
Instructor
I might be mistaken here as i have little experience with DI boxes, but i thought the point of them was to connect it after the poweramp (instead of cabinet) and straight into a mixing console/soundcard, and that the DI Box handles the load problems.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 22 2008, 09:50 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Some power soaks have a line out, but I always though DI boxes were instead of an amp ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 22 2008, 10:23 PM
Instructor
Yeah, I'm with everyone else here, DIbox or Toneport for recording. DIBox is a nice cheap solution that will not fry your computer. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 23 2008, 12:06 AM
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Jul 22 2008, 10:33 PM) *
I might be mistaken here as i have little experience with DI boxes, but i thought the point of them was to connect it after the poweramp (instead of cabinet) and straight into a mixing console/soundcard, and that the DI Box handles the load problems.

I'm quite sure that when taking the signal from the poweramp you have to connect the "through"-connector into a speaker. I.e if you're dealing with a tube amp.
If you take the line out from the pre amp you can go straight into your PA/Computer or whatever, with a balanced signal.

But for sure there's hundereds of more DI boxes than the Redbox that I know and it's not at all impossible there are more advanced DI boxes that can handle the load aswell. unsure.gif

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 22 2008, 10:50 PM) *
Some power soaks have a line out, but I always though DI boxes were instead of an amp ...

And here's where the confusion starts. I know, I called it DI box above but usually I always say RedBox but I thought people would understand DI box but not redbox.

So perhaps the Redbox is the correct term then for a speaker cabinet simulator (or miked cab sim) after all and the DI box, as you suggested, has the use of replacing an amp and goes directly into the PA/soundcard.

+Quote Post
Rooks
Jul 23 2008, 12:07 AM
Well I'm confused now .. happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 23 2008, 12:11 AM
QUOTE (Rooks @ Jul 23 2008, 01:07 AM) *
Well I'm confused now .. happy.gif

You need a redbox and a small cab to handle the load wink.gif

unless... the poweramp section is connected to the speaker section with a cable that you can unplug. the you connect that cable into the redbox and the through into the speaker.

poweramp->redbox through->speaker

then the redbox output into the soundcard.
But I doubt it's a cable back there.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jul 23 2008, 12:11 AM

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 23 2008, 09:17 AM
QUOTE (Rooks @ Jul 22 2008, 09:08 PM) *
Its a combo amp, so it is built in on top of the cabinet.. No cable..

That port is the only jack output from the amp.. But I wont put it in my soundcard if you say its a no-go..

On the front of the amp I have two jack ports under "effects" saying "Send + Return" .. Im not all sure how this is used.. I did read the instr. manual but didn't clearify it for me ..

Well, you could split your signal at the return part, that means one going to comp and one going back to return, in fx loop. That is if you have any effects.

QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 23 2008, 01:11 AM) *
You need a redbox and a small cab to handle the load wink.gif

unless... the poweramp section is connected to the speaker section with a cable that you can unplug. the you connect that cable into the redbox and the through into the speaker.

poweramp->redbox through->speaker

then the redbox output into the soundcard.
But I doubt it's a cable back there.

You will however have to add Cabsim with an application on your computer, or it will sound shitty.

QUOTE (Rooks @ Jul 22 2008, 09:20 PM) *
Ok, Someone please tell me then happy.gif

How the schnitzel am I going to get signal from my amp to my computer, without breaking anything smile.gif
What output from amp, what hardware? I went to the hi-fi store local they knew nada.

This by the way is why I bought a TSL instead of a DSL. The DSL has no Emulated Lineout.
You need so much extra gear when going around it -> OR getting a real cab mic. but then you'll still get noise complaints from your mommy.

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jul 23 2008, 10:08 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 22 2008, 10:50 PM) *

Here is one, a real cheap one, https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/micromass.htm
But you will need a bigger one, this maybe: https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/mass150.htm

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 23 2008, 10:49 AM
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Jul 23 2008, 11:08 AM) *
Here is one, a real cheap one, https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/micromass.htm
But you will need a bigger one, this maybe: https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/mass150.htm

Nice one smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:06 AM