3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
How Important Is The Guitar Brand?
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 5 2013, 11:20 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I have heard a lot of times the expressions that we "pay extra for the brand name on the headstock" and also the completely oposite ones where "name doesn't matter at all".

What is your opinion?
How much are those letters on the headstock important to you when deciding on buying a new instrument?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 5 2013, 02:35 PM
Learning Roadie
Hmmm

Depends on the name on the headstock. Some represent companies of really good quality and customer service.
The whole Gibson/Fender type name means little to me, they are trading on heritage more than current values.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 5 2013, 02:44 PM
Instructor
Getting a guitar with a popular brand name makes it easier to sell if you decide to do it. If you don't have in mind this, then the most important is that you feel comfortable with the guitar and you like the tone, nothing else matters.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 5 2013, 02:46 PM
Learning Roadie
That's true Gab, I have never thought about re sale value and ease when buying a guitar, it's almost like entering marriage with a prenup!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 5 2013, 05:32 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 5 2013, 05:44 AM) *
Getting a guitar with a popular brand name makes it easier to sell if you decide to do it. If you don't have in mind this, then the most important is that you feel comfortable with the guitar and you like the tone, nothing else matters.

We've sort of talked about this before in the 'custom' guitar (as in, what would want in a ... ) thread.
If you have money and you just don't care about re-sale value then no, it doesn't matter - and it shouldn't. But if you think you might want to sell it you better think about it or pray that some soon to be famous guitarist (maybe even you?) uses it.

One of my best playing/sounding axes is an Ibanez. And though it has slightly increased in value (it's 1979 335 rip-off model) it would't bring a 10th of it's Gibson counterpart in resale value. Even though most Gibson 335s of that period are probably some of the biggest POSs on the planet.

I cut my teeth in the 70s and 80s and I can tell you first hand that 90% of most Fenders and Gibsons manufactured during those 20 years are substandard instruments - but they command HUGE resale prices these days. History and Name association/recognition. 'Historicity' as Phillip K. Dick called it.

For me, if the new instrument is even a little pricey - I won't consider it unless it has a 'name' on the headstock.

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 6 2013, 11:39 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
The thing about brands is that many times they have become icons, something we've seen in the hands og so many guitarists and bands we enjoy, and that makes us own one too.

Who doesn't love a strat, a tele, Les Paul, SG... they have become more than guitars they are now part of rock history and popular culture.

And that's why many of us like to have a certain brand name guitar.

Having said that, and maybe because I already know how Gibson, Fender and others feel, if I had to keep just one guitar one it would be my Ibanez!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 6 2013, 12:52 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 5 2013, 05:32 PM) *
We've sort of talked about this before in the 'custom' guitar (as in, what would want in a ... ) thread.
If you have money and you just don't care about re-sale value then no, it doesn't matter - and it shouldn't. But if you think you might want to sell it you better think about it or pray that some soon to be famous guitarist (maybe even you?) uses it.

One of my best playing/sounding axes is an Ibanez. And though it has slightly increased in value (it's 1979 335 rip-off model) it would't bring a 10th of it's Gibson counterpart in resale value. Even though most Gibson 335s of that period are probably some of the biggest POSs on the planet.

I cut my teeth in the 70s and 80s and I can tell you first hand that 90% of most Fenders and Gibsons manufactured during those 20 years are substandard instruments - but they command HUGE resale prices these days. History and Name association/recognition. 'Historicity' as Phillip K. Dick called it.

For me, if the new instrument is even a little pricey - I won't consider it unless it has a 'name' on the headstock.

That's why I play a 1982 Burny Les Paul !

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 6 2013, 06:39 PM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Apr 6 2013, 04:52 AM) *
That's why I play a 1982 Burny Les Paul !

In the states Burnys and Grecos command pretty good prices (if it's known that that's what they are). Probably because 1) they started doing the high quality knockoff thing years ago and 2) a lot of high profile players admit to using them (Slash being the most vocal advocate early on).

*Many many players have replicas - but with the 'correct' decal on the headstock.

+Quote Post
dcz702
Apr 6 2013, 08:18 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I love fenders, and gibsons. I wouldn't be taken to the music store and pay full price. I have bout all my guitars second hand for a good deal.
The fender select is gorgeous, like art. Sam ash has got it for 1300 us because of over stock, and I think I have to get it, my girls gonna chew me out but I gotta have it. Don't know why but when it comes to other guitars I just love the way fenders feel and look. When I step in my house the first thing I look at is my guitars on the wall. Even a well playing guitar that's cheaper doesn't do it for me. I just like looking at them as much as playing them. I want to collect them and have them forever.
But I do agree with people saying they are over priced. And Sam ash selling a guitar for 700 less than what it usually sells for shows that the price is jacked up

This post has been edited by dcz702: Apr 6 2013, 08:29 PM

+Quote Post
lothomer
Apr 6 2013, 08:48 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 5 2013, 01:44 PM) *

I agree with you Gab. The brand of the guitar definitely determines the resale value of the guitar. But thats the second question.
First one is: How does a brand of a guitar and a guitarhero who plays that kind of guitar influence me in my decision to buy that guitar.
For example: Years ago i decided to buy a Fender Customshop Strat 60 reissue. I ordered that guitar in colour Olympic white as far as my formerly guitarhero Thomas Blug played a original 61 Strat. Same day i ordered the guitar, the shopmanager offered a original refinished 65
Strat to me. Dump ass me - i didn't buy it, cause of the colour 3 tone sunburst what reminds me of Country Players (yehaw!). Stupid me ... i missed a awesome deal for some bucks more.

A friend of me invited me some months ago for a special guitar blind audition. The deal was: Find your own voice on guitar, your own sound and the sound that you like (not what you like to see in your hands). We had around 20 different guitars to choose (most of them Strattype guitars). The playing musican had his eyes blindfold so that he couldnt see the instrument. Always the same Amp (Marshall JVM 410 H with clean, crunch and leadtone). Very interesting experiment what i can recommend to everyone. Suddenly the Cheapoguitar didn't sound so bad anymore, the expensive top of the line Customshop guitar did not win the race. Have to try that by yourself.
Yes i recognized my two main guitars among all of the others, as far as i'm very used to those guitars. When buying a new axe im thinking about buying it blindside - just "listening to my ears, not listening to my eyes"

--------------------
Never too old to rock!

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 6 2013, 10:43 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm not a Fender guy - I will say that. biggrin.gif That don't really produce the style of music I go for. Ibanez is more like it. But there are many more - it's really what the company offers in terms of what the guitars sound, feel, and look like. If I don't like the way a guitar looks - i won't pick it up. I am very image-biased when it comes to guitars. If I like the way it looks, then I will pick it up and try it.

Sometimes I will be drawn to a company if a musician I like has one. biggrin.gif Like when I bought a Jackson SLSMG exactly like Trond Vold's.

There are companies like Mayones and Skervesen guitars - such beautiful guitars but are way out of my price range.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 7 2013, 01:31 PM
Learning Tone Master
I have a schecter hellraiser( about 2 years old), it has completely ruined all my other guitars.
so if all schecters play like this one, brand will matter
of course , my problem you all know about is being left handed , I can't just walk into a store and try another one out

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 7 2013, 02:12 PM
Instructor
Yes - guitar brand determines some quality level that cannot be downgraded below some thin border line but...Guitars are not something really repeatable and what I found through years of playign is that when You have more expirience with high end guitars You can also more objectively appreciate some cheap producionts of no-name trademarks. Funny thing that mentioned Mayones and Schecter guitars are on my top guitars list. It depends of how much You have got to spend on guitar but if it's quite small ammount of money...Schecter is a killer choice smile.gif Anyway I've owned a few of them and after some pretty cheap improvements those were studio quality guitars. But... As those cheap series where new in europe...those were better guitars than the current production - I mean the range of 200-300 $. Anyway...diamond series is still a taugh one as competition for other producers.

Currently I don't look at trademarks. Lately some guy from my neighbourhood made a strat for somewhere about 300$ and...this guitar smashed my face....I think I'm gonna order one.

+Quote Post
korblitz
Apr 7 2013, 02:27 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Apr 7 2013, 02:12 PM) *
But... As those cheap series where new in europe...those were better guitars than the current production - I mean the range of 200-300 $. Anyway...diamond series is still a taugh one as competition for other producers.

Do you mean the SGR Schecter guitars?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 7 2013, 02:33 PM
Instructor
Nope...I mean Diamond series - like Omen 6, Omen Extreme, 006, etc smile.gif I had a few old And I have an acces to many new productions as I work at music shop and new ones had some fret leveleling isssues.

+Quote Post
korblitz
Apr 7 2013, 02:46 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Apr 7 2013, 02:33 PM) *
Nope...I mean Diamond series - like Omen 6, Omen Extreme, 006, etc smile.gif I had a few old And I have an acces to many new productions as I work at music shop and new ones had some fret leveleling isssues.

Have you tried those SGR guitars by Schecter?

I thought they stop making the Omen 6 and Omen Extreme or anything under the Diamond series.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 7 2013, 03:09 PM
Instructor
Omen 6 and Omen Extreme whre from diamond series...that's what is weird - We speak about series and it's a na amount from 300$ to 1000$...I have't opportunity to play SGR yet

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Apr 7 2013, 03:34 PM
I would never buy a guitar with a word Mayonaise written all over the Headstock.
Don't think that they're bad, just simply couldn't buy it at all!!

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Apr 7 2013, 03:35 PM

+Quote Post
thefireball
Apr 7 2013, 05:52 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Apr 7 2013, 08:34 AM) *
I would never buy a guitar with a word Mayonaise written all over the Headstock.
Don't think that they're bad, just simply couldn't buy it at all!!

It's a different spelling than the condiment mayo. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Apr 7 2013, 05:56 PM
QUOTE (thefireball @ Apr 7 2013, 05:52 PM) *
It's a different spelling than the condiment mayo. biggrin.gif

'
I wonder how much brand does matter now that you said that...If you had a guitar like that, I don't think it would matter if it had 'Tomato Ketchup' written on the headstock! smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:23 AM