Another Pickup Question
MattE
Sep 1 2008, 01:04 AM
GMC:er
Hello everybody!

Alrighty, my question for today is another pickup question.
My musical adventures normally fall into neoclassical metal, rock, shred, and blues

I am a little edgy about active pickups with the whole replacing the battery bit, however if it's what works best with my genre, it's easily put up with

I enjoy playing Rusty Cooley / Michael Angelo Batio / Michael Romeo style music. Basically a mixture of rhythm and lead

So what do you think?

I am looking for a Single Coil shaped pickup and a Humbucker shaped pickup
(I say shaped because I have seen "humbuckers" the size of a single coil pickup)

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
Sep 1 2008, 01:28 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Hi Matt, I would suggest you look into Kent Armstrong's pickup's. They very versatile and relatively inexpensive. I think Smells will vouch for them as well. smile.gif

http://www.kentarmstrong.com/

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
FrankW
Sep 1 2008, 02:53 AM
You need to make a pickup choice based on your amps' capabilities. If you own a high-gain amp or one that can produce alot of distortion, and that's the setting you choose, you should consider a pickup that is not overly powerful because articulation and note definition can be lost. Typically, ALNICO pickups produce the best balance of tone and moderate power output for those that use the modern high-gain amps of the day.

+Quote Post
MattE
Sep 1 2008, 01:15 PM
Right now I use a Fender GDEC 15 watt amplifier, so I'm not really sure how you would classify that amp tongue.gif

@skinnington: I took a look at that site, what a selection! Just curious as to the difference between "open" and "Closed" pickups, other than the look (if there is any difference)

+Quote Post
skennington
Sep 1 2008, 03:14 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (MattE @ Sep 1 2008, 08:15 AM) *
Right now I use a Fender GDEC 15 watt amplifier, so I'm not really sure how you would classify that amp tongue.gif

@skinnington: I took a look at that site, what a selection! Just curious as to the difference between "open" and "Closed" pickups, other than the look (if there is any difference)

Well I could be wrong here, but I know they are wired the same. I think that the difference is in whether or not they have a cover. Like a LP model with a silver or gold cover. There could be differences in the magnet though, not sure. I'll have a look around and see what I can come up with.

+Quote Post
MattE
Sep 1 2008, 08:04 PM
Much obliged sir! Thank you!

The closed pickups are of real interest to me, as that style of pickup fits well into the guitar design I have swimming around my head

I also plan to upgrade the pickups on my Ibanez ARX320, dual humbucker setup there

happy.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 2 2008, 01:21 PM
Instructor
You need a modern style pickups, I would recommend moderate output, not too hot, not vintage either. Check with Dimarzio, they have good modern pickups, choose something from their moderate output range that you like. There are samples there, and descriptions of each pickup.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Sep 2 2008, 02:12 PM
Instructor
For a moder sound I agree with Ivan. Check out the fast track and the air zone from dimarzio.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:19 PM