> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

12 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 >  
Yash's Preparation Spot
Yash
Sep 29 2014, 04:30 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 29 2014, 06:35 PM) *
Hehe, how's it going so far? Can you sing C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C having a little break in between each one? I mean, sing a note, pause a bit to check and then if you are correct with the tuner and the guitar in the same time, go forward to the next one smile.gif This is one approach. What have you discovered so far, while exploring this exercise?

It's going weird and random so far smile.gif This is how I do it - C on guitar. Mute it. Sing it. Change pitch to match (and the volume changes automatically). Then, do them both together and while holding the note with my voice, mute the guitar to check if I am doing it right. And sometimes, when I do do it right, I become one with the instrument biggrin.gif For a few moments at least. Then, I go to the next note. The next step will be to do things in one breath smile.gif And, damn this is tough dry.gif I hope it does me good. But, day by day, I am getting better smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 29 2014, 04:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Yash @ Sep 29 2014, 03:30 PM) *
It's going weird and random so far smile.gif This is how I do it - C on guitar. Mute it. Sing it. Change pitch to match (and the volume changes automatically). Then, do them both together and while holding the note with my voice, mute the guitar to check if I am doing it right. And sometimes, when I do do it right, I become one with the instrument biggrin.gif For a few moments at least. Then, I go to the next note. The next step will be to do things in one breath smile.gif And, damn this is tough dry.gif I hope it does me good. But, day by day, I am getting better smile.gif

THAT SOUNDS AMAZING biggrin.gif Babysteps it is, matey, but it WORKS biggrin.gif All you need is patience and hard worj, here, deal?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Yash
Sep 29 2014, 05:22 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 29 2014, 07:42 PM) *
THAT SOUNDS AMAZING biggrin.gif Babysteps it is, matey, but it WORKS biggrin.gif All you need is patience and hard worj, here, deal?

Yup. Babysteps. And, I am giving my best. I am just not patient enough dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 30 2014, 01:03 PM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif I'll tell you a little story about patience:

There was a period of civil war in medieval Japan called Sengoku Jidai (1467-1600)

There were three primary leaders of this movement: Oda Nobunaga (1534-1582), Toyotomi Hideyoshi (1536-1598), and Tokugawa Ieyasu
(1543-1616), which are largely regarded as thee three leaders responsible for unifying Japan.

Every Japanese schoolchild learns the following poem that illustrates the different leadership styles of these leaders - one day, they were all three watching a bird in a tree and each said: What would you do if the bird does not sing?

Oda Nobunaga said "Kill it if it does not sing."
Toyotomi Hideyoshi said "Make it want to sing."
Tokugawa Ieyasu said "Wait until it sings."

.... the last one lived to unify all of Japan and his family came to rule Japan until the late 19th century - he had PATIENCE smile.gif That's what you need to have, if you want to achieve a high level in anything you endeavor in this life. Do we have a deal, Yash? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Yash
Sep 30 2014, 06:44 PM
We do Cosmin smile.gif I'll be patient and keep trying until I DO it right. Until I achieve it. But, when to give up ? Or never to give up ? wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 1 2014, 09:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Yash @ Sep 30 2014, 05:44 PM) *
We do Cosmin smile.gif I'll be patient and keep trying until I DO it right. Until I achieve it. But, when to give up ? Or never to give up ? wink.gif

NEVER give up smile.gif That's what Drew from Karnivool told me to my face, when I asked him what would he advise people who are on their way into music, learning and developing. He simply said with his thick Australian accent: 'Mate, whatever you do, DON'T give up' smile.gif I for one, plan on keeping things going - you?

+Quote Post
Yash
Oct 1 2014, 09:42 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 1 2014, 12:39 PM) *
NEVER give up smile.gif That's what Drew from Karnivool told me to my face, when I asked him what would he advise people who are on their way into music, learning and developing. He simply said with his thick Australian accent: 'Mate, whatever you do, DON'T give up' smile.gif I for one, plan on keeping things going - you?

Alrighty then. I'll never give up on my voice. I'll wait till it develops well. And, since I am just 20, I think I can do it. And, eventually, screaming will come along too. And, I still can't hit an A note from my sleep dry.gif This is embarrassing. Doing this for almost a week but still not good enough to record.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 1 2014, 10:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Yash @ Oct 1 2014, 08:42 AM) *
Alrighty then. I'll never give up on my voice. I'll wait till it develops well. And, since I am just 20, I think I can do it. And, eventually, screaming will come along too. And, I still can't hit an A note from my sleep dry.gif This is embarrassing. Doing this for almost a week but still not good enough to record.

Well, can I be the judge of that? smile.gif Just record and send it over and we'll take it from there wink.gif

+Quote Post
Yash
Oct 1 2014, 10:06 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 1 2014, 01:04 PM) *
Well, can I be the judge of that? smile.gif Just record and send it over and we'll take it from there wink.gif

Alright then, I'll record right now ! This instant, using the phone's front camera.

EDIT: Uploading it right at this moment. This is embarrassing, so, I'll PM you the link, GMC PM or message on Facebook.

This post has been edited by Yash: Oct 1 2014, 10:19 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Yash
Oct 1 2014, 11:48 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Yash
Oct 1 2014, 03:25 PM
I am in love with this song. I think it's in my range ? Both vocally and acoustic guitar-ally ?

PS - It's a G-D-C and my rhythm sucks. Let's get to work on this too ? I noticed, I did hit the write notes with Robert Plant. I had the tuner by the speaker, it detected the note, I paused to video, tried to match it, and voila.. just a few cents difference most of the times. Is this the kind of the song you were talking of Cosmin ? Just chords and strumming ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 2 2014, 09:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Yash @ Oct 1 2014, 10:48 AM) *

Heyyy biggrin.gif This is not bad, Yash! Listen - you are at the point in which you can reproduce the notes to an almost good extent, but your musical memory needs to be worked out wink.gif You tend to lose the pitch after singing a note for a while.

Here's what I want you to do:

- set a metronome at 70 BPM, 4/4 time signature
- play a note with the guitar continuously for 4 bars
- sing that note for 2 beats
- breathe in on the next 2
- repeat the procedure while playing the note
- play only on beat 1 and continue singing as described above
- your goal? Stay on pitch smile.gif

Please record this drill - use the A note. Just that, ok?

QUOTE (Yash @ Oct 1 2014, 02:25 PM) *
I am in love with this song. I think it's in my range ? Both vocally and acoustic guitar-ally ?

PS - It's a G-D-C and my rhythm sucks. Let's get to work on this too ? I noticed, I did hit the write notes with Robert Plant. I had the tuner by the speaker, it detected the note, I paused to video, tried to match it, and voila.. just a few cents difference most of the times. Is this the kind of the song you were talking of Cosmin ? Just chords and strumming ?

This song is GREAT smile.gif It's not easy, but it fits the job description - so, after a few more drills with the pitch control, we'll take this one phrase by phrase and as for guitar playing, you'll need to stick to the most basic form in which it can be played, so that you can ease up your job in respect to singing. Ok?

+Quote Post
Yash
Oct 2 2014, 09:31 AM
I am on this drill right now ! So, no aim for perfection, just record ?

No, I am not there at the point yet. I played an A on guitar. My voice sang an F or an F# or an A# -__- I seemed to do everything but an A

EDIT: This is much more difficult than I imagined.

This post has been edited by Yash: Oct 2 2014, 09:55 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Yash
Oct 2 2014, 10:57 AM
I am quick.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 3 2014, 11:27 AM
Instructor
Hey mate! At 0:56 - you managed to achieve a bit more consistency smile.gif

You forced things a bit, by singing on each beat - I mentioned singing the note with the length of 2 beats, so instead of having 4 notes in each bar, you would only have one smile.gif

Like this:

1, 2 - sing the A note

3, 4 - breathe in

1, 2 - sing the A note

3, 4 - breathe in

Try it like this and aim to be as relaxed as possible, ok? Try it with the E note this time as it will be easier - the E below the A, ok?

When you breathe, don't pull the air suddenly, but keep an open throat and inhale with the sensation of surprise - just like that redhead would've entered your room right then in that moment smile.gif Deal? This thing will tilt your larnyx up and you will inhale a lot more air than usual. Pull the air in to your stomach not in your chest. Try this drill without the guitar at first - the air inhaling, ok? Then apply it in the E note drill described above. These vids are VERY useful because they are showing me what you are doing - keep'em coming!

+Quote Post
Yash
Oct 4 2014, 12:07 PM
No. I'll go with the A ? OK ? I really need to push myself. I must be uber comfortable in the 3rd and 4th octave. Must push myself to be better biggrin.gif I'll start working on the exercise today smile.gif I was screwed up yesterday. I'll get to work on it already. I need to prepare Tears Don't Fall's acoustic version in a month's time. With vocals. Can we achieve that Cos ? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 5 2014, 12:12 PM
Instructor
Yash smile.gif take it easy on yourself man - I don't want to demotivate you or anything, but I want you to keep your overdriven impatience a bit at bay. You are currently working on being able to sing single notes in correct pitches and such a deadline is far from being realistic. I don't want you to end up heartbroken and thinking that you can't sing. You will sing and you will do it well, if you have patience. It might take a lot longer than you think though and that's what I want you to understand and accept.

Let's work things in stages:

1) Being able to sing any note as close to perfection as possible at any time - not with a particular vocal technique, but singing it in pitch.

I know you want to sing but I want you to become a good singer in an organic way and that takes time, practice and dedication.

Try to use the E note for the drill we spoke about and then push your voice up one half step at a time smile.gif If you do these crazy bounces up, you will only hurt yourself. Do we have an accord?

+Quote Post
Yash
Oct 5 2014, 02:31 PM
Oh God dry.gif This is difficult. I want to perform. We have a performance on 24th and a friend and I decided to do tears don't fall. I can do a cover for you! I don't think I am that bad sad.gif I really can't wait. Why do I suck big time at this ? dry.gif Robert Plant was 20 and he recorded Led Zeppelin I. I just hate waiting. It's too slow sad.gif And fine, E note it will be sleep.gif God I hate myself and my vocal chords.

Interesting thing - Yesterday, I was singing along to a Vocal track of Maiden's Dance of Death. And, I was doing everything with a tuner, the tuner listening to the recording then I singing. And, I was close ^^ I hit most notes correctly. Even the 5D ones, without the falsetto ! biggrin.gif Why does it happen easily with the songs and not without any song ?

PS - check Facebook messages

This post has been edited by Yash: Oct 5 2014, 02:41 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 6 2014, 08:17 AM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif I checked the FB messages and it's great that you are going for the audition! See what it feels like and try it before saying no smile.gif

A band experience will always help - in the worst case, you will learn about what you don't like - see it like that and things will be ok wink.gif

Now, about singing....as I said, impatience will lead to certain disaster - you have two choices here:

- follow my suggestions and take the long but surefooted road
- go berserk and get burned - this will also be useful, because you will learn the hard way. These lessons are the ones that stick with you for the rest of your life but you risk injuring your soul and recovering from this is very difficult for some of us.

It's a good idea to try and sing various songs, but at this point, you should do it for yourself only, in order to see what you like and to see where you stand. I wouldn't go out there and try performing just yet. Let's get past step 1 - deal? BTW, can I hear the Maiden song in your interpretation?

+Quote Post
Yash
Oct 10 2014, 07:12 PM
I didn't practice seriously for 3 days and all my ear training goes away dry.gif I hate myself Cosmin... I hate my musical brain. Really.. This is embarrassing, and annoying. Is this supposed to happen ? sad.gif And, YouTube is taking FOREVER to get my videos up ! It's the 5th attempt already. I recorded on Tuesday ! It won't upload !

--------------------

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:02 PM