> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

78 Pages V  « < 76 77 78  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 24 2018, 03:42 AM
Post #1541

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Hi Phil, great stuff!

I've checked that note at 15 seconds, and yes, there is a slide from a higher fret there to generate that "effect". It can be seen if you check the guitarist hands in the video (I know that you don't want to do it yet).

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 24 2018, 09:21 AM
Post #1542

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Thanks Gab,

Yeah I'll look at that slide detail once I've finished, it's hardly audible. I wonder if it's just one of those habits some players get where they just slide down a string without picking it during a bit of a gap. I'll also watch some live videos to see if he always does it or of it was just on that take.

Still finding it odd that I find it one of the most enjoyable things I've ever played when I've never really been into the song that much smile.gif

Cheers buddy

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 24 2018, 09:05 PM
Post #1543

Gab,

Further to the above post, I was trying to put it all together tonight, adjust fingerings because it covers a lot of the neck. I had a go at finding that slide we talked about, I was too elusive so I had to look at the video. I can't see him do a slide after the note at 00:15.

I've also noticed that the note he plays at 00:12/00:13 is at the opposite end of the neck to where I play it but I feel my way is ok and as this is ear training and not position training I think it will be okay. I've entered the TAB below and the note I play at the opposite end of the neck is in red just for you to give your opinion.

First though here are the sound files of that ghost slide note that I can hear. I am sure it is part of the backing, it's definitely descending though. Dont worry, the longest file below is five seconds wink.gif

Just after the 6th note:
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/ghost-note-full-speed-with-six-pre-notes

Just after the 6th note:
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/ghost-note-half-speed-with-six-pre-notes

Right after the single note:
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/ghost-note-half-speed-with-one-pre-note

Right after the single note:
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/ghost-note-quarter-speed-with-one-pre-note

Ghost note only:
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/ghost-note-only-quarter-speed

Below is the TAB with the note highlighted in red where he plays it at the opposite end of the neck at 00:12/00:13 I can't find a note to match high up the neck. It's a B that I play and even the open B is higher than what I can hear on the recording.

E|-----0--0--0------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B|--------------2--2------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G|--------------------------4--6------------------------------------------4--4--4h6----------------
D|--------------------4--6--------6\4/6--------2--4--2-----2--4--2-4-4/6-------------6\4--2---2--
A|---------------------------------------2--4-----------4-----------------------------------4-----
E|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers buddy, it's going to take me a couple of sessions to get the fingering right on this piece and I'm going to be trying to some up with something for the blues workshop wink.gif

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 24 2018, 09:07 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Yesterday, 09:22 PM
Post #1544

Hello Gab,

Further to the two posts above, I've cracked the fingering, it's a bit of a tap dance in places, I can play it all the way through at 80% but not twice accurately consecutively yet. It's got my first ever double hammer on on frets 14,15,16 on the E string, I'm pretty sure its hammer ons and not a slide.

Once up to speed and second nature I'll post a video.

I might even post the music for others to have a go and and put my TAB (once you've checked my playing) as a spoiler.

Cheers buddy

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Yesterday, 09:49 PM
Post #1545

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil, the slide is VERY short, and quick. It can be done in two different ways (directions). Check my video:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Today, 07:54 AM
Post #1546

Thanks for taking the time to record that video for me Gab, I'm so sorry but that's not the note I'm talking about.
I already played that note in this take here >> https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=758118 and you said "Hi Phil! This take sounds flawless! You could be the lead player for the band. smile.gif"

It's immediately after that, slide, it sounds like he has just gently hammered on and slid down the neck, it's so quiet but it's there. I guess it isn't a guitar tone as you're not picking up on it. If you get headphones on you'll hear it. I suppose we can ignore it as it appears to be part of the backing.

Thanks for your help buddy, and sorry for wasting you time sad.gif

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Today, 12:16 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Today, 02:26 PM
Post #1547

Instructor
Group Icon

Do you mean that you hear a note there but that you can't see him playing it in the video?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Today, 03:01 PM
Post #1548

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 26 2018, 02:26 PM) *
Do you mean that you hear a note there but that you can't see him playing it in the video?

Yes Gab,

I worked on it for quite a while, in the end I had to watch the video to get some idea of what was going on. It's so subtle but could be a finger sliding down the neck on maybe the G string without being picked or even hammered on very hard. I started thinking maybe the video was actually recorded at the same time or that there were some subtle overdubs put in. It fits in between that note that you recordorded and the next one so it was feasable in my mind. Can you hear it? I must be the backing but I'm intrigued now as to what it actually is.

I'll probably post a video tonight. Did you get chance to check out that "other end of the neck" note?

Cheers mate.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Today, 03:40 PM
Post #1549

Instructor
Group Icon

My theory is that the "playback" in the video missed that note that was played when recorded at the studio. That video is obviously a playback, not the real take.

Does it make sense?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Today, 09:07 PM
Post #1550

It makes perfect sense Gab, I also think that's what is happening with that note a couple of posts up with the TAB where the note is in red.

Listening to the track with headphones on, I can hear the "ghost note" again or something very similar while he is playing other notes. It's hard to hear without headphones and I'm convinced it isn't Paul playing it, I'd love to know what it is though, could it be keyboards? I'm not going to try to find it any more, I'll be chasing rainbows wink.gif

Here are two files, first with me hard right and second with me central. I do want to polish it and get the tone closer so if you can give me any tips that would be great. Absolutely 100% enjoyed doing this one. Love it! Am I getting soft in my old age learning to play this pop music? laugh.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/best-thing-take-3-whole-intro-phil-right-channel

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/best-thing-take-3-whole-intro-phil-central-blend

Here's a different version of the intro, the more I investigate Paul Weller the more respect I have for the man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqgw2SqTciQ

Cheers Gab

This post has been edited by Phil66: Today, 09:08 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

78 Pages V  « < 76 77 78
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: Gabriel Leopardi

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2018 - 09:51 PM