2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Best Punk Rock Band
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 31 2013, 03:11 PM
Instructor
Hello guys! Today it a punk day for me. I have been listening a lot to punk rock. I wonder which is your favourite band.

Here I post 2 of my favourites...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 31 2013, 06:45 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hmmmm overall, I think it would be The Damned.

A very close second would be Rancid.... but The damned just win it for me smile.gif

I remember seeing the damned live a while ago, it was quite a small venue and they were absolutely amazing.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 31 2013, 07:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 31 2013, 02:45 PM) *
Hmmmm overall, I think it would be The Damned.

A very close second would be Rancid.... but The damned just win it for me smile.gif

I remember seeing the damned live a while ago, it was quite a small venue and they were absolutely amazing.

Interesting choice. I don't know too many fans of them, but everybody respects them. I first heard this song on Gun's & Roses covers album.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Jul 31 2013, 08:21 PM
GMC:er
Exploited Barmy Army !!

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 31 2013, 09:27 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 31 2013, 07:23 PM) *
Interesting choice. I don't know too many fans of them, but everybody respects them. I first heard this song on Gun's & Roses covers album.

Thats quite surprising. Maybe they were just a bit more well known in the UK. You should check out some of their stuff, well worth listening to.

* if I ever play another gig, Im totally dancing like the guitarist ( captain sensible ) in this video smile.gif

another couple worth listening to, IMO cool.gif :

This post has been edited by bleez: Jul 31 2013, 09:30 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 1 2013, 12:41 AM
Green Day, hands down.

I don't listen to punk rock because I don't like it very much. But Green Day I listen to almost every day. I'm still not too sure about their new stuff, but their older stuff like the American Idiot album, songs like 21 Guns and the John Lennon "Working Class Hero" cover was absolutely amazing!

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Aug 1 2013, 06:35 AM
Learning Roadie
This could easily turn into a Slav-like discussion on what is REAL punk rock and what is pop punk.

Sam you make me feel old categorising American Idiot as older stuff! I class Dookie as older stuff!

I have to say I would have to choose The Arrivals (an old chicago based band) I heard them on the radio the first timewhen I was in my car and I had to pull over to make sure I found out who they were.

A big nod to Rise Against but although they have the social message in their music, it just seems to polished to call Punk rock to me, I see them more of an evolved punk band into a rock band. They're very much like earlier Foo Fighters musically now

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 1 2013, 07:36 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Rancid, best basslines in punk ever.
And catchy as hell smile.gif

Blood For Blood.

Roger Miret & The Disasters.

Lars Fredriksen (from Rancid).

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Aug 1 2013, 09:30 AM
Learning Roadie
Also a shout out for Post Punkers The Replacements!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 1 2013, 12:51 PM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Aug 1 2013, 05:35 AM) *
Sam you make me feel old categorising American Idiot as older stuff! I class Dookie as older stuff!

Hahah we're not old mate, we're vintage cool.gif and yeah not that old tongue.gif but still, those songs are insane!

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 1 2013, 03:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 31 2013, 05:27 PM) *
Thats quite surprising. Maybe they were just a bit more well known in the UK. You should check out some of their stuff, well worth listening to.

* if I ever play another gig, Im totally dancing like the guitarist ( captain sensible ) in this video smile.gif

another couple worth listening to, IMO cool.gif :

Yeah, here in Argentina the big classic names are Ramones (at the top), then The Clash, Sex Pistols, Stooges, and then the others.

QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jul 31 2013, 08:41 PM) *
Green Day, hands down.

I don't listen to punk rock because I don't like it very much. But Green Day I listen to almost every day. I'm still not too sure about their new stuff, but their older stuff like the American Idiot album, songs like 21 Guns and the John Lennon "Working Class Hero" cover was absolutely amazing!

Green Day has some of the best rock songs I've ever heard. They are fantastic.

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Aug 1 2013, 02:35 AM) *
This could easily turn into a Slav-like discussion on what is REAL punk rock and what is pop punk.

I have to say I would have to choose The Arrivals (an old chicago based band) I heard them on the radio the first timewhen I was in my car and I had to pull over to make sure I found out who they were.

A big nod to Rise Against but although they have the social message in their music, it just seems to polished to call Punk rock to me, I see them more of an evolved punk band into a rock band. They're very much like earlier Foo Fighters musically now

haha good post. You can check my "Pop Punk Lesson" video at youtube which had a big discussion. There were some guys saying that "pop punk" isn't punk, and things like that. It was a funny discussion. tongue.gif

http://youtu.be/jkmj-8Kv3Fs

Rise Against is a great band!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 3 2013, 11:41 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Speaking of 'The Damned' smile.gif I thought this was quite funny, Its from a book where this guy talks with the damned drummer Rat Scabies. The guy is trying to tell Rat about the first damned gig he went to but Rat cant remember it...

The Guy : "you set your drums on fire and most of the stage went up with them", I told him. "The rest of the band buggered off, but you were still playing when the fire brigade turned up. They flooded the venue and started a riot. Every window in the place got smashed. People were fighting in the car park for hours afterwards. You MUST be able to remember that!"

Rat : "Sorry, mate, you're going to have to give me something more. There were loads of gigs like that."

laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 3 2013, 05:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Aug 3 2013, 07:41 AM) *
Speaking of 'The Damned' smile.gif I thought this was quite funny, Its from a book where this guy talks with the damned drummer Rat Scabies. The guy is trying to tell Rat about the first damned gig he went to but Rat cant remember it...

The Guy : "you set your drums on fire and most of the stage went up with them", I told him. "The rest of the band buggered off, but you were still playing when the fire brigade turned up. They flooded the venue and started a riot. Every window in the place got smashed. People were fighting in the car park for hours afterwards. You MUST be able to remember that!"

Rat : "Sorry, mate, you're going to have to give me something more. There were loads of gigs like that."

laugh.gif

hahahaha laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Aug 5 2013, 01:40 PM
One of my favourites from back in the day:-

And:-

far too many I could mention so I'll leave it at that!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 5 2013, 03:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Aug 5 2013, 09:40 AM) *
One of my favourites from back in the day:-

And:-

far too many I could mention so I'll leave it at that!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

These are new names for me... Are they from England?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Aug 5 2013, 05:52 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 5 2013, 03:00 PM) *
These are new names for me... Are they from England?

Stiff Little Fingers were from Northern Ireland and had quite a few political songs about the troubles there.
The Ruts were English. A few other bands from that era were Sham 69, the Buzzcocks, X Ray Specs, the Slits, The Skids, Vice Squad, The Members....
I could go on and on and on and on and on!!!!!!
wink.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 5 2013, 07:14 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
SLF and The Ruts smile.gif definitely!!

Babylons burning is a brilliant track. I also really like their song 'staring at the rude boys' although I must admit I thought the Gallows cover version of it was damn fine.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 6 2013, 02:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Aug 5 2013, 01:52 PM) *
Stiff Little Fingers were from Northern Ireland and had quite a few political songs about the troubles there.
The Ruts were English. A few other bands from that era were Sham 69, the Buzzcocks, X Ray Specs, the Slits, The Skids, Vice Squad, The Members....
I could go on and on and on and on and on!!!!!!
wink.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Interesting list, there are some of them that I know by name but there are some other that I've never heard about...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Aug 7 2013, 06:00 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Since Gab started with Die Toten Hosen, I'll throw in some more great german punk bands. These three bands usually sing in german, however ZSK and Terrorgruppe have a few songs in english. Sadly, Terrorgruppe and WIZO already split up, but who knows, maybe a reunion will follow. ZSK just reunited biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 7 2013, 06:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Aug 7 2013, 02:00 PM) *
Since Gab started with Die Toten Hosen, I'll throw in some more great german punk bands. These three bands usually sing in german, however ZSK and Terrorgruppe have a few songs in english. Sadly, Terrorgruppe and WIZO already split up, but who knows, maybe a reunion will follow. ZSK just reunited biggrin.gif

Amazing! I've never heard this bands so I'll play them right now. Thanks friend! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:14 PM