Running around in circles, Trying to get something new
Doofs
Dec 12 2006, 06:21 PM
GMC:er
Hi guys, hi Kriss...

typically I've been more into soft rock, later queen and so on as I progress through guitar - however I would love to pick up a few techniques to play backing.

My training schedule involves a lot of work on scales, moving around, reinforcing (bad habits R us beating) alternate picking techniques, but this isn't helping me with a huge amount of 'background' work.

I'd love to be able to play those crunchy chunky backings heard in the the likes of Nickelback, Evanescence etc, but can't seem to get close to the sound and rhythm... the whole BWACHHH! BUCHH BUCHH sounds.

Anyone suggest any techniques for working on that?

Curt

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Red Tie
Dec 12 2006, 07:21 PM
Cool strumming or?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Doofs
Dec 12 2006, 11:28 PM
QUOTE (Red Tie @ Dec 12 2006, 06:21 PM) *
Cool strumming or?

Yeah strumming...

You know... rhythm strumming but with power chords and runs...? (I think - self-taught, this site is the only tuition I ever received lol)

--------------------
Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

+Quote Post
Fender23strat
Jan 3 2007, 12:07 AM
I think I can help you out a little bit with this one. Step one Distortion is your friend. Using distortion will definitley give you a good sound for what your going for. And I find that if you tune to Drop D tuning you can create some simple rythms very easily. Just you the Low E( now a D) and A string by placing your first finger on the same fret for both strings you get a simple power chord. Try to create a simple rythm at first. You don't even have to play the guitar you could just tap your hand and think of a simple rythm that lasts like 3 seconds. For instance a simple dun dun dun. Then you could play that on the guitar like this...

E---------------------------------------
B---------------------------------------
G---------------------------------------
D---------------------------------------
A--000----222----444----555--------
D--000----222----444----555--------

And there you go a simple rythm and when used with a nice crunchy distortion you create a cool sound. Try creating your own and as you move along try using palm muting in a rythm and maybe some pinch harmonics. Have fun! Hope this helps.

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Jan 3 2007, 02:22 AM
Use an electric guitar with hot pickups, an amp or pedal with good distortion. That should be enough for the guitar-amp sound.
When blasting out heavy riffs it's always good to have a strong attack with the picking hand, and if you want the real low chugging sound palm muting is the way to go, you may also want to detune your guitar. A good heavy song to start out with is Symptom of the Universe by Black Sabbath.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 3 2007, 08:55 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Fender23strat @ Jan 3 2007, 02:07 AM) *
I think I can help you out a little bit with this one. Step one Distortion is your friend. Using distortion will definitley give you a good sound for what your going for. And I find that if you tune to Drop D tuning you can create some simple rythms very easily. Just you the Low E( now a D) and A string by placing your first finger on the same fret for both strings you get a simple power chord. Try to create a simple rythm at first. You don't even have to play the guitar you could just tap your hand and think of a simple rythm that lasts like 3 seconds. For instance a simple dun dun dun. Then you could play that on the guitar like this...
E---------------------------------------
B---------------------------------------
G---------------------------------------
D---------------------------------------
A--000----222----444----555--------
D--000----222----444----555--------

And there you go a simple rythm and when used with a nice crunchy distortion you create a cool sound. Try creating your own and as you move along try using palm muting in a rythm and maybe some pinch harmonics. Have fun! Hope this helps.

Yes drop D is a fairly easy - but very neat -"trick"! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Jan 17 2007, 12:11 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 2 2007, 11:55 PM) *
Yes drop D is a fairly easy - but very neat -"trick"! smile.gif

Question though - When you drop D tune, is the chord progression still the same in relation to standard tuning. For example, in the tab example above, what would those chords be called in order? D E A?. I get confused on how to shift everything on alternate tuning.

This post has been edited by Guitar1969: Jan 17 2007, 12:18 AM

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Jan 17 2007, 08:02 AM
QUOTE (Guitar1969 @ Jan 17 2007, 12:11 AM) *
Question though - When you drop D tune, is the chord progression still the same in relation to standard tuning. For example, in the tab example above, what would those chords be called in order? D E A?. I get confused on how to shift everything on alternate tuning.

As I understand it, when you detune E to D you standard power chord becomes ex. E| 2 A|2 instead of E|0 A|2 which simply means that it's the same chord just played differently and therefore, yes it's still the same chord progression. Just sounds heavier.

I could be wrong though.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:40 AM