Scale Exercises Wanted
Saint_arc
Dec 30 2008, 04:52 AM
GMC:er
I need some new exercises for running through scales everyday. Any suggestions? What lesson videos seem to help the most? Thanks!!

Mike

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Mike

Alaska..........I'm so going to retire here!!!!

Guitars:
Parker Fly, Fender Deluxe American Strat, Taylor 414ce.

Amps: Fender Supersonic 212/head, Fender Champion 600, Powered Mackie floor wedge.

Effects: BOSS GT-10, Line 6 POD Pro XT, Sennheiser Wireless, TS 808 tube screamer, BOSS RC-20XL Looper, SW-95 Cry Baby Slash wah, Weeping Demon Wah, Route 66 overdrive/compression, and many more.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Dec 30 2008, 04:55 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
What have you been doing so far and which scales?

Monte

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Saint_arc
Dec 30 2008, 05:40 AM
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Dec 29 2008, 06:55 PM) *
What have you been doing so far and which scales?

Monte

Here's my issue. I can play my major scales with Arpeggios only 2 different ways. There not fast but there not slow either, I would say 160 BPM as 8th notes. I can play my minor pentatonics mostly only in one position pretty fast. I have worked on the other positions but seem to be having issues using the other positions on the neck. I really haven't worked on any melodic or harmonics lately. I can play a few modes but really haven't been messing with them as much. I just need an exercise or to that I can incorporate into my daily practice routines for scales. Thats probably the one thing I need more work on than anything. My solo's need a lot of work and I know getting my scales down better will help alot. Thanks!!

--------------------
Mike

Guitars:

Amps: Fender Supersonic 212/head, Fender Champion 600, Powered Mackie floor wedge.

Effects: BOSS GT-10, Line 6 POD Pro XT, Sennheiser Wireless, TS 808 tube screamer, BOSS RC-20XL Looper, SW-95 Cry Baby Slash wah, Weeping Demon Wah, Route 66 overdrive/compression, and many more.

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Dec 30 2008, 11:23 AM
Instructor
I made a lesson about modes where you can play all the scales over each relative chord. It's also a good warm-up exercise.

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Dec 30 2008, 11:50 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Saint_arc @ Dec 30 2008, 05:40 AM) *
Here's my issue. I can play my major scales with Arpeggios only 2 different ways. There not fast but there not slow either, I would say 160 BPM as 8th notes. I can play my minor pentatonics mostly only in one position pretty fast. I have worked on the other positions but seem to be having issues using the other positions on the neck. I really haven't worked on any melodic or harmonics lately. I can play a few modes but really haven't been messing with them as much. I just need an exercise or to that I can incorporate into my daily practice routines for scales. Thats probably the one thing I need more work on than anything. My solo's need a lot of work and I know getting my scales down better will help alot. Thanks!!

What do you mean you can play your major scales "two different ways"? Do you mean that you know 2 out of the 7 boxes of the diatonic scale? I would suggest the first thing you do is to make sure you know all the boxes of the diatonic scales and the pentatonic scale. The best way IMO to do this is to use a timer. On one day set the timer for 2 minutes and just run up and down one of the pentatonic boxes. Do this for every position. That way in 10 minutes you will have thoroughly gone over all the postions of the pentatonci scale. Then on the next day do this same thing for the diatonic scale. Play the scales just straight up and down and play them nice and clean. After doing this daily for a few weeks you will have these memorized and you can move onto the next thing. The next thing is to start coming up with different patterns and playing them in the different boxes. This is where learning scales becomes fun. Take for instance a 2 string pattern of say 4 beats of sixteenth notes. Play that pattern on the 1st and 2nd strings, then play that pattern on the 2nd and 3rd strings and keep repeating this on every group of 2 strings. This is where shredding comes in and how you see these great guitarists come up with runs. Most "shred runs" that I have learned are very basic patterns played extremely clean and fast. Have you noticed when you see Muris demonstrate one of his impressive runs at a slow tempo that it doesn't sound so impressive anymore. laugh.gif Shredders are players who do the fundamentals EXTREMELY WELL!! Let me know if I am making any sense and if not I can post a couple of tabs of what I am talking about. For now though, take a few weeks and make sure you know the boxes in every position. Learning these is like learning the alphabet. These positions are the letters you are going to use to compose your musical sentences or phrases. Hope that helps and I didn't make you even more confused. laugh.gif laugh.gif

Monte

+Quote Post
Tolek
Dec 30 2008, 12:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
I wrote a SI lesson about scales/modes, but I haven´t done the videos yet! laugh.gif I´m going to give you the link to it when it´s posted.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 30 2008, 05:36 PM
Instructor
I suggest focusing more on positions that you can't play so good, so you learned them all equally well. In general, every positions should be covered equally.

Check out my pentatonic workshop and modes workshop lessons for some runs. The other one has some 3 note per string patterns that you may find interesting mate.

CHeers ! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Saint_arc
Dec 30 2008, 07:53 PM
Thanks guys!!!!! I will definitely be working on this.

--------------------
Mike

Guitars:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:09 PM