8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Beat's Bootcamp, Earn or Burn!!!!
Todd Simpson
Oct 5 2020, 08:31 PM
GMC:er
Nice Work with the pInky Soldier!! This lick is partially to prepare your hand for sweep picking so the use of econ picking (two down strokes as you cross to the higher string) is crucial. Also, the use of the pinky is crucial. That too is to prepare your hand. The triad shape is meant to get you ready for SWEEP PICKING WORK. It's coming and it's not easy. You are ready Soldier! Also, good synch here. The only issue seems to be your pick hand digging in a bit to hard which can reduce precision, speed. It's not going to keep you moving ahead, it's just worth focusing on in the next Mission. Try to approach fretting and picking with as light a touch as possible. It's not easy. It's instinctual to dig in and tense up. Much as in life. Facing an obstacle forces the body to react. That reaction can be overcome and controlled. It's often the barrier preventing one from making progress. As Bruce lee said, "become water", water can take any shape. It's not hard, it flows.

MEDALS OF HONOR

*Sweep Shape: This starts with a sweep type shape with two down strokes. This is the
most important part. It's not easy at first you nailed it!

*Follow Up: Following the sweepish bit, you go right in to a scaleish bit. Getting this
transition to be smooth is the entire point of the drill. You adapted quite well. NICE!

*Precision: A high degree of precision is required for this entire thing. If you falter at any point it will stick out like a sore thumb. Your synch is good your precision is great, congrats!!

You got this one Soldier.

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image
Onward!

Sarge

QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Oct 4 2020, 03:25 AM) *
Since I didn't use my little finger very much in lesson 14, I cannot do without it in this lesson.
But Slash grew up without it ..... cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 5 2020, 08:33 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 9 2020, 12:40 AM
Well Fought Soldier!!!! This is your intro to several NEO CLASSICAL bits we will be fighting through. This uses a triad base to build out a neo classical looping riff. It's also good practice to prep the hand for arpeggios. Let's Debrief!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*SOLID MUTE:
Without a good mute this would sound like a huge mess of noise. Your mute continues to improve with each mission. The better your picking while muting gets, the better a player you'll be!!

*SYNCH OR SWIM:
Hand synch is getting better and better. Tighter, more precision, well played! There is a lot more where that came from!

*ARTICULATION: Well done using the fingers/hand on the picking and NOT using the stiff arm / picking from the Elbow. Picking from the elbow is a cardinal sin. Avoid it at all costs.

You are on the path Soldier!! Keep Fighting!!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!!
Sarge

QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Oct 4 2020, 03:55 AM) *
My Lesson 16

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 9 2020, 12:55 AM

+Quote Post
Beat Zbinden
Nov 1 2020, 10:30 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hello Todd
Lesson 17 is done. Rhythmically a little difficult to understand ...

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 2 2020, 12:52 PM
Well Fought Soldier! The slower version is a good example of what I'm looking for. The fast once has good precision but your picking technique degrades quite a bit on the faster run. Watch the vid again and notice how you switch from controlling the pick with your hand on the slower one, to almost picking from the elbow/stiff arm style on the faster one and losing grip on your palm mute as well. Your left hand is clearly rate for the higher rate of speed, but your picking hand is having to give up most of it's control and mute to keep up on the fast run. Let's look at the slower one for the debrief.

MEDALS OF HONOR

PLAYING WITHIN ABILITY: It's always tempting, on a lick like this, to push the envelope well past where one actually can play,.. Quite easily it slips in to sloppy playing. The first run is tight and under control. Score!

NOT TENSING UP
: Not tensing your arms is the key to shredding. Tension is Death for shredding. It wrecks your speed, kills your precision and causes injury. The first run is a good example. Nice!

PACING: It's also tempting on a lick lick this to play the parts that are easier for the hand faster than the parts that are more difficult. This can lead to rushing/lagging. You played both licks at good even pace. Double Kill!

Keep this lick in your warm up routine. Focus on your picking more than your fretting to balance out your hands. Very good progress here. You just...

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Nov 1 2020, 05:30 AM) *
Hello Todd
Lesson 17 is done. Rhythmically a little difficult to understand ...

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 10 2020, 03:06 PM

+Quote Post
Beat Zbinden
Nov 21 2020, 09:44 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hello Todd

Here is my lesson 18.
I keep trying not to move out of my arm. Unfortunately not always ...

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 21 2020, 10:05 AM
Well Fought Soldier!! This is what it's all about. Being able to take licks and make music. I"m very impressed with how you put this together. Technique is solid and the solo is very listenable. The big challenge here is not just to play the licks, it's to take licks that weve been working on and use them in a musical context. That's where the rubber hits the road for every musician. You hit it quite well!!

You have made great progress solider. Your hand sync and mute are very solid. Your hand position at the start keeps a very solid mute while picking. I notice you do lift a bit towards the end but that's just hand fatigue. You are making good use of the pinky on your pick hand by extending it and letting it keep a solid mute.

You've got this one Soldier. For next time, a few bits.
1.)Give me a look at your pick at the start of the video. I'm wanting to see what the pick looks like and how you are holding it.
2.)Bit more gain, not a ton, but a bit. This will make things harder to tame but will show you if there are any gaps in your mute and it will allow you to pick with less pressure.
3.)Try to pick with less pick pressure and use a shallow pick strike depth.

These are small adjustments and I'm sure you can make them along the way. Good Solo!!!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Nov 21 2020, 04:44 AM) *
Hello Todd

Here is my lesson 18.
I keep trying not to move out of my arm. Unfortunately not always ...

+Quote Post
Beat Zbinden
Dec 9 2020, 08:25 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Here is my lesson 19.
Tapping and hammering are not my favorite occupations yet

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 10 2020, 07:57 AM
Well Fought Soldier!! Welcome to the world of the 5 note per string tap!!! This is taking EVH style tapping and making it much harder. The good news is you played it with style and confidence. I'm very impressed. This is NOT an easy bit to play. Not only do you have to use left hand hammer ons and pull offs, you have to use an open string as well, and keep perfect synch between right and left hands. Nice! Let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*TAPPING TO GLORY-This is NOT an easy tapping bit as it requires a 5 note per string tap that includes an open string. Most Eddie VanHalen style tapping uses fretted strings only and 3 notes. You handled it quite well. Congrats!

*QUIET AS DEATH-The open string is there partially to test your muting. Without solid muting, the string noise kills this lick. You keep it nice and quiet!!! Score!!

*PULLING FOR POWER-In addition to the tapping, there are pull offs that fit in as well. Without the pull offs, the lick doesn't work at all. You nailed the hammer ons and pull offs. Double Score!!!

In short you KRUSHED it !! you just..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!!
Sarge

QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Dec 9 2020, 03:25 AM) *
Here is my lesson 19.
Tapping and hammering are not my favorite occupations yet

+Quote Post
Beat Zbinden
Dec 15 2020, 05:20 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi Todd
Here is my lesson 20.

At your request, I also filmed my right hand.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 15 2020, 09:30 PM
Impressive!! I want you to go back and look at your first few missions, hopefully you have a playlist of all of them on youtube. If not, please make a playlist of your lesson vids on youtube. It's a great way to track progress. You are smoothly moving through every string using alternate picking. This is very well played. Can you feel the difference from where you began? I can certainly see it. Your picking is more precise, more smooth, more even. It doesn't rush or lag, and you are not over commiting to any single pick strike. You are making great progress. This lick is hard to play at this pace and hard to keep steady and even. One missed note and you gotta start over. That's why I have you run all the up and down. It gives the hand a chance to find if there are any problems at any point along the way. Congrats on your progress Soldier! Let's drill in and see if we can make some very small changes that may help as you move forward.

1.)Keep the thumb bent. It's a good idea to keep the thumb bent at the knuckle nearest to the thumbnail. Just a bit more of a bend. This allows for finger/thumb articulation to happen whenever it's needed.

2.)Resting Position for the palm mute. Your resting position for your palm mute is perhaps a pinch high. Your mute is solid but if you move your hand down just a bit, you will be able to mute all the strings using only your left hand. This comes in very handy when playing open string licks that use every string.

3.)Your pick angle is very good and your not going too deep on your pick strikes which is great! I looks like you may be using a rounded pick? I can't really tell here, but often a rounded pick results in more hand wag. A really sharp and pointy pick can help reduce hand wag as the pointy tip allows the picking hand to stay very close to the string after a strike. This allows the next strike to happen quickly as the recovery time is reduced. Try to keep the pick as close to the string as possible after each pick strike. The sharper the pick, the easier this is to do.

Your playing this lick very well. These changes are small, but they can help! You've got this sorted Soldier. You are ready for the madness to come.

You just...

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!!
Sarge

QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Dec 15 2020, 12:20 PM) *
Hi Todd
Here is my lesson 20.

At your request, I also filmed my right hand.

+Quote Post
Beat Zbinden
Dec 17 2020, 06:27 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks for your rating, Todd.

Here is a photo of my current pick.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 17 2020, 08:52 PM
Perfect!!! Those are NICE picks. For one thing they are nice and thick, very stiff and very pointy. Well done in selecting those. They look great!!!!!

QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Dec 17 2020, 01:27 PM) *
Thanks for your rating, Todd.

Here is a photo of my current pick.

+Quote Post
Beat Zbinden
Dec 25 2020, 11:12 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
My lesson 21.

I like it...

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 26 2020, 07:28 AM
Impressive work Soldier!! This is a very tricky bit to play. Most folks have real trouble playing that fast bit. This is a great thing to practice as it works so many different things at once. The slower bit at the start is contrast to the fast bit and moving between them can be tough. You didn't miss a beat. You keep it nice and tight and you play every note. Also, your mute is very good. Your precision and speed have both improved. Can you see the improvement? You are playing very briskly and with precision. Keep it up!!!

You Just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!!
Sarge

QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Dec 25 2020, 06:12 AM) *
My lesson 21.

I like it...

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 27 2020, 07:54 PM

+Quote Post
Beat Zbinden
Jan 3 2021, 11:36 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Lesson 22

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 5 2021, 04:29 AM
Look at him go!!!! This is your best one yet Soldier. You are full on SHREDDING it here. I hope you will take the time to go back and watch your first 20 or so missions to see just how much progress you've made since you started this journey. Your Fret hand is ready to SHRED. It's what has to happen before you can put the right hand in there and make it all work. Sometimes, the picking hand develops first, this can be frustrating for players as it means the pick hand can out pace the fret hand making synch tricky. Your fret hand is ready to shred like a fiend. Your pick hand now has to come up to meet it and you'll be ripping it up like you will not believe. You've developed a lighter touch on your fretting hand and this is what is also required on the picking hand. Digging in will kill your pseed. Playing with a light pick strike is the way to go.

I look forward to seeing you progress even more Soldier!! You just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!!
Sarge

QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Jan 3 2021, 06:36 AM) *
Lesson 22

+Quote Post
Beat Zbinden
Jan 31 2021, 09:05 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Lesson 23

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 1 2021, 07:52 AM
Well fought Soldier!!! It is obvious that you are making great gains in your playing!! This is a solid shred run up most of the neck!!! When you first started, something like this might have been tricky for you. Now, it's cake and pie!! You scream through it. The first take is very solid. The next couple are nice and fast but maybe just a pinch less precise. Still, it works in all the takes. You can use this lick in a solo for a great sense of building tension. I often use this like, or one like it, to build up tension in a solo. Nice!!

FOR NEXT TIME:

PICK HAND POSITION:
It's great to see you sitting in classical position with the guitar at a natural angle. I want to make sure you have something under your left foot to raise it up a bit. It looks like you do, just want to make sure. I do notice that your pick hand position could use a tweak. Try to move the pick hand a litle lower on the bridge. Perhaps increase the angle of the guitar a little bit so that the head stock is raise up a bit and the bridge is rotated down just a bit. Increasing the angle of the guitar will make finding an efficient hand position possible. Here is a screen grab from a great video on pick angle and hand position. notice that at a resting position, his pick lines up in the middle between the low and high string. This is where the hand should ideally rest. Yours is often resting near the low E. It's a subtle change but can have a profound impact on your playing.

Attached Image

Here is the full video. It's worth a watch!! Try to do what he's doing here and calling "Pick Edging"
https://youtu.be/jBLka76n9q0

As for this mission, you just...

LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Jan 31 2021, 04:05 AM) *
Lesson 23

+Quote Post
Beat Zbinden
Mar 1 2021, 04:45 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Lesson 24
It's difficult for me...

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 2 2021, 01:34 AM
NICE!!!! You got it Soldier!!!! This is a lick using the "strike once, hammer many" approach. It's using my fave scale, Minor, to work on being able to strike one note and hammer on the following two notes in a three note per string version of the minor scale. This drill requires not only being able to play the scale up and down all the strings, but also being able to alternate between striking and doing hammer ons. Being able to strike then hammer is a key skill in solo work. This drill is meant to hep build that ability. You can use this on any 3 note per string scale of course. I use this type of lick all the time in solos. When muted, it sounds almost like it's being picked the entire time instead of being legato. It is also easier to run the scale like this than to pick every note. It allows one to play faster than would otherwise be possible. See if you can use this technique in a solo against a youtube backing.

BTW: That is a killer looking Axe Soldier!! is that new?

You've got this one down Soldier!

You just.....

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!!
Sarge

QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Mar 1 2021, 11:45 AM) *
Lesson 24
It's difficult for me...

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 2 2021, 01:34 AM

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:47 PM