Pavel - What Say You?, an 8 string shreder?
ch00ch00man
May 8 2007, 05:19 PM
GMC:er
Pavel,

Just came across this beauty: http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBARG2228.
Curious to know what you think. Too much? Not enough? Can you (or anyone else for that mater) be a speed daemon on this thing? No tremolo, is that good/bad/indifferent.

Boris

BTW, I came across one of your posts (don't remember which), that said you are considering getting a Universe. I happen to be a proud owner of one of these babies, and I absolutely love it. I think you will too. I'm really looking forward to some seven string lessons (have been using it basically as a six string guitar).

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Pavel
May 8 2007, 06:07 PM
Instructor
Well - i totally love the look of that guitar - and first i was thinking that will be my next guitar to buy. But than - it doesn't have a tremolo and that's why i don't think i am getting one for now! And also - it has Edge III bridge which totally sucks!! But i think i'll have huge doubts going on when i finally collect the money to get one of new guitars! One of the guys here in my city ordered that guitar so i will definitely try it out when he gets it!

And i am pretty much sure Universe will win in my "choice of the year" between 8-string and UV! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Pavel: May 8 2007, 06:08 PM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Igorrr
May 8 2007, 07:23 PM
I am not sure about the 8 String Guitar but concerning 7 String I find the neck of the UV the best. It's actually really thin for a 7 String. Much better playability than the RG or Korn models.

+Quote Post
ch00ch00man
May 8 2007, 08:29 PM
QUOTE (Igorrr @ May 8 2007, 02:23 PM) *
I am not sure about the 8 String Guitar but concerning 7 String I find the neck of the UV the best. It's actually really thin for a 7 String. Much better playability than the RG or Korn models.

Igorrr,

Back in the day (>25 years ago), I was classically trained. So I actually prefer a wide neck. Also, the Universe has an unfinished neck, which I like a lot. When the palms get sweaty, those lacquered necks become like sticky fly paper (very difficult to play). But there is such a thing as too wide. I have a very old ten string classical guitar (with friction tuners) that I don't play for that reason alone. I was just wondering if anyone ever came across this thing (actually played it), and what they thought.

Pavel,

What is it specifically thats bad about the Edge III bridge?

Boris

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 9 2007, 12:03 AM
Instructor
I played one of those S series that have that kind of tremolo, My friend owned one of those and he brought it to me for a setup - the string locking sucks - you haev to cut the ball off in order to place the string and once you tighten it it happened a few times to me that the string just jumped out of the saddle. Later that same guy sold that guitar and bought himself an RG 1527 7-string guitar! So that's the main problem in my opinion!

I am still interested in owning one of those axes - so when i get into the guitar store i will for sure try both 8-strings and 7-strings to see which one to buy!!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 9 2007, 12:05 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Pavel @ May 8 2007, 07:03 PM) *
I played one of those S series that have that kind of tremolo, My friend owned one of those and he brought it to me for a setup - the string locking sucks - you haev to cut the ball off in order to place the string and once you tighten it it happened a few times to me that the string just jumped out of the saddle. Later that same guy sold that guitar and bought himself an RG 1527 7-string guitar! So that's the main problem in my opinion!

I am still interested in owning one of those axes - so when i get into the guitar store i will for sure try both 8-strings and 7-strings to see which one to buy!!

Pavel, that's not the case with the Edge Pro like the Prestiges have is it? My understanding is tha the Pros are a lot better ... does the Jem also have an Edge Pro?

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
n0x
May 9 2007, 06:11 PM
Yep the JEM comes with an Edge Pro. They are the best tremolo's ;]

+Quote Post
Rvddps
May 9 2007, 06:35 PM
QUOTE (n0x @ May 9 2007, 06:11 PM) *
Yep the JEM comes with an Edge Pro. They are the best tremolo's ;]

amen brother, any RG prestige will blow you away smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 9 2007, 08:14 PM
Instructor
Yes - Edge Pro are the best tremolos if you ask me! And JEM's have those!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 11 2007, 04:03 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Pavel @ May 9 2007, 03:14 PM) *

I simply have to get a Jem now .... I have opened negotioations with my wife, and early indications are that it is going to cost me at least a Louis Vuitton bag ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
guitargod
May 11 2007, 05:47 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ May 9 2007, 08:14 PM) *

what is the clear differences between the jem555 steve vai signature n the jem7V steve vai signature??

--------------------
live everyday of your life like its your last n treasure everything and everyone around you to the fullest!!!
max life!!!

+Quote Post
Ryan
May 11 2007, 06:49 AM
The name biggrin.gif..just kidding idk

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 11 2007, 12:10 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Unless your rusty cooley or Meshuggah, i dont think an 8 string is necessary, the universe would whip the 8 strings ass in playability, i just know it.

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 11 2007, 12:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (guitargod @ May 11 2007, 06:47 AM) *
what is the clear differences between the jem555 steve vai signature n the jem7V steve vai signature??

The quality! JEM555 are not as good as JEM7!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Igorrr
May 11 2007, 04:02 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ May 11 2007, 08:42 AM) *
The quality! JEM555 are not as good as JEM7!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY not as good. Overpriced as well. If you do not have the budget for a Jem get one of the cheaper RG prestige models which are a bit more expensive than the Jem 555 but a lot cheaper than the Jem 7V.
Or if you do not have that budget go for the normal RGs which are still good guitars (the 555 is also a good guitar) but 300 Euros cheaper with about the same specs....

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 12 2007, 05:18 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I think an RG And a JEM Are very close in how good they are. My Ibanez RG350MDX Is just as good as a JEM (for me), they feel identical to me and play the same....BUT....

A JEM Has a better sound (And im convinced there a little bit lighter to)

and of course,

JEM's are so beautiful!

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 12 2007, 08:28 AM
Instructor
JEM's brigde is just soo light! Using whammy bar needs no effort - before i had RG 370 DX and using whammy was a nightmare and it was pretty hard to dive.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
May 12 2007, 11:20 AM
Lets go fishing!
Im glad I have learnt the 555 is not great as I would surley have bought it!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
browq
May 12 2007, 12:43 PM
well it happens that i'm also browsing for a new guitar

seems to me that the jem555 and the rg prestige model are verry close in price. are the rg prestige models superior to the jem555? i'll try them both ofcourse but i would like everyones opinion

+Quote Post
Igorrr
May 12 2007, 03:26 PM
QUOTE (browq @ May 12 2007, 08:43 AM) *
well it happens that i'm also browsing for a new guitar

seems to me that the jem555 and the rg prestige model are verry close in price. are the rg prestige models superior to the jem555? i'll try them both ofcourse but i would like everyones opinion

The RG Prestige models are made in Japan, the same as all the other higher quality models. The Jem 555 is made in Korea where the budget lines are produced.

IMO the RG Prestige models are closer to the 7,77,777 Jems than the Jem 555 is.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:56 PM