> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Mith's Guitar Journey, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 12 2014, 10:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Sep 11 2014, 10:17 PM) *
I'll have a look. I think my biggest hold back in trying to use these ideas. everytime I do something like double tapping it always feels disjointed. Maybe I should look at tapping one string appegios

yes, I know what you mean. 8 fingers tapping seems to be better for complete etudes that are based on this technique. I honestly don't use it too much, but I think that normal tapping and even using 2 fingers from your right hand to do some tapped patterns can be interesting and easy to connect during a solo or jam. Learn some of the licks from the lessons shared and let me know how it feels.

Check out this guitarist:

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mith
Sep 13 2014, 07:55 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
thats pretty awesome. I also like that fast little whammy bar dip

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Mith
Sep 14 2014, 02:54 PM
Well here is a recording of week 3. Its a little rough since I recorded it after practicing for hrs on end. I many focused on using arpeggios and adding in more legato stuff and really pushing the motif idea.

Things I like about this take
- its the most melodic I've been with arpeggios if not ever
- Adding in legato really helped making things more melodic
- The motif I came up with is REALLY catchy.

Things I learnt
- Changing note values during arpeggios has great effect.
-Write the motif as a longer segment and not just one lick

Things I think I should work on
- Still need to work on sequencing. it might be because it is late because I was playing sequences in minor much better than earlier
- I got so comfortable in G major that sometimes I got a tad lost in A minor so need a bit better familiarization

PS - I also found that the blues scale works great with this backing too

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mith
Sep 14 2014, 03:22 PM
PPS - I'm surprised how many people go through this part of the forum and downloading my takes. Am I doing well? you like? tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 15 2014, 04:58 AM
Instructor
hehehe yeah! Your takes are being downloaded! People is monitoring your improvisations and that's a very good thing! Why? Because your takes are getting more and more musical. This new one is very interesting. I can see how you applied the ideas that I gave previously and the big impact that they have in your improvisation. As you said, your leit motif is very catchy and the overall recording sound close to a finished song, it just needs some polishing and backing variations. smile.gif

There is nothing to improve here, just keep on exploring each of the topics previously discussed, since everything need practice, practice and more practice.

Congratulations on your great work! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mith
Sep 15 2014, 10:00 AM
Also are the any sequences that are typically the staple of metal and hard rock? just want to pick a few to really focus on?

And is this improv course going to get into 3 octave patterns or is that something to do afterwards?

This post has been edited by Mith: Sep 15 2014, 12:03 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 15 2014, 01:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Sep 15 2014, 06:00 AM) *
Also are the any sequences that are typically the staple of metal and hard rock? just want to pick a few to really focus on?

Hi Mith, there aren't sequences that sound more metal than others, but some very known guitarists like Yngwie Malmsteen, Vinnie Moore, Paul Gilbert and Zakk Wylde have made some patterns and sequences more popular. Check out this lessons and apply the ideas to the shapes that we are currently working...

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Metal_Patterns_1/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/My-Picking-Patterns/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Sequential-Patterns/

Most of the patterns and sequences that you will find in the previous lesson are some of the most used in Metal.

QUOTE (Mith @ Sep 15 2014, 06:00 AM) *
And is this improv course going to get into 3 octave patterns or is that something to do afterwards?

Off course. Everything will be covered. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mith
Sep 15 2014, 02:36 PM
yeah, i wanna do some fancy long runs lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 15 2014, 11:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Sep 15 2014, 10:36 AM) *
yeah, i wanna do some fancy long runs lol

hahaha, you will, but take your time to do this workouts because they are very helpful to learn the fret-board and to make the connection between mind and ear smoother. The course will cover all the stuff that I consider useful to master rock, blues and metal improvisation but it's also applicable for jazz and other fusion styles. Just be patient, the course will take some months. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mith
Sep 24 2014, 02:44 PM
Hey Gab,

Well Here is me messing about on week 4. Really didn't feel that comfortable with this backing track. Not sure what it was but really struggled thinking of melodies to fit in with the feel of the backing. I'm reasonably happy with the motif I came up with (tho a fumbled it a few times), vibrato is a little better but still needs some work. Probably should try make my slower vibratos wider and get close to the next step.

One thing I was really happy with was my 4 note sequence going down one pattern then up in the next one (it also happened to finished just at the right time at the end of the song lol).

Plan on working that 4 note sequence alot in all patterns. Probably drilled going down on one then up on the other then keep moving up then swap them over. Then try get them up to speed. Just for the way it sounds it sounds very much like a staple sequence so I'd like to be able to drop it anywhere and at any tempo.

One other thing I could probably work on is longer smoother legato runs. would also make it easier to add in 2 handed tapping.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 24 2014, 07:20 PM
Instructor
Hi Mith! Nice improvisation. I can notice that you aren't completely comfortable with the backing but you tried to create melodies after all. The result is a bunch of very original phrases with a melancholic and dark feeling. I think that your tone is a bit noisy, maybe too much distortion, not enough mids/treble or too much delay? There is something that makes your tone sound unclear and I think that it would be good to polish it.

As you said, there are some techniques that could be improved as well as some other stuff that could make your solo more interesting:

- More variety of vibrato: wider, faster, slower. Vibrato is a expression tool and you are not using it like that while you improvise.
- Bending? Use more bending as an expression tool. Play aggressive bending, double string bending, etc.
- Use more rhythm variation while you improvise to make your solo less static.
- Silences are part of the music. You don't have to make that guitar sound all the time. Use silences to divide phrases.
- Use of dynamics. Your tone is not helping but maybe setting your amp with less distortion could inspire you to use more dynamic variations when you improvise.

This recording shows that you are using the improvisation course stuff perfectly. The idea is to play along with the backing, play phrases, sequences, just random notes, everything that helps you to incorporate the sound of the scale and learn the notes in your fret-board. The things that I detailed would be the next step to make this practice more musical.

You are definitely on the right track. Keep on the great job! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mith
Sep 25 2014, 03:48 AM
I didn't even think about changing the tone. gah, its so obvious now.

I'm glad you got the whole melon colie dark feel to it since thats kind of what I'm going for which is a really good sign.

So more dynamics, does seem to be something holding me back a little so I'll try really focusing on that

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 25 2014, 01:54 PM
Instructor
Great mate. Please keep on practicing with these things in mind. There is a lesson that is not exactly in your style but that is great to practice dynamics. Check it out:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Blues-Dynamics/

As you will see in the video, Piotr goes from very powerful blues soloing to very soft section in a very smooth ways. The lesson is a very good training to control dynamics.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mith
Sep 25 2014, 05:02 PM
I actually like a bit of blues. its actually one of the subjects I'm looking forward to getting into with u in this improv thing. The other one is getting deeper into arpeggios. I've gotten a taste of them and have really like how its opened up my playing a bit. Even in rhythm playing. instead of going and playing the same old power chord I'm like hey i might put this 2 string arpeggio in there instead.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 25 2014, 08:56 PM
Instructor
Hi Mith! I can say that you are always one step forward the improvisation course! hahah. Please work on the current stuff because we will get deeper into arpeggios soon. Arpeggios are a great tool for improvising but also for rhythm and arranging so it's a great plan to master all that stuff.

About blues, that's great! It's always good to master different styles. I know that you like John 5 and you can see how he made his shred technique very unique incorporating elements from country music. Please give a try to Blues Dynamics lesson and share here a video playing it. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mith
Sep 29 2014, 11:26 AM
Hey Gab,

Well this is week 5's take. I tried focusing on the dynamic side of things a little and adding in bit more pauses. I also tried avoid using arpeggios. Even tho I'm enjoying them at the moment I don't what to be too dependent on them so threw that out the window for now. Things I noticed with this one. My little motif is something I really liked. Its got a pop punk kinda feel to it but since it is so diatonic I found when it came to trying to have some pentatonic licks in it they didn't work as well as their diatonic counter part.

I'm quite happy with how well the 4 note sequence is under my fingers now and I can almost do it anywhere at anytime. I should probably try incorporating some others for the next one. Some of those single string sequences in wk6 sound interesting so I'll give them a shot.

The other thing I noticed is I tried to do a quiet part near the end but i think I made it too quiet for too long. got a tad monotonous and the backing track built up before the lead guitar did

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 29 2014, 03:18 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, it's great to see you experimenting with this stuff and also being so analytic with the way you are applying each of the concepts we are covering on the course. I like the motif of this improvisation and how you connected with some other riffs. The way you managed silences is also really good, keep on experimenting with this tool to divide and give air to phrases.

One thing that I feel your improvisation is lacking is more rhythm variations, I think that most of the time the phrases have similar rhythm figures. I would add some longer notes as well as some faster stuff (if it's possible). However I know that it's difficult to generate more different feelings with a backing that stays all the time playing the same progression but with different intensities.

As well as the course advances, the backings will become richer (more chord progressions and variations) so don't worry about this detail. Keep on practicing like this to incorporate the sound of the scales.

I can notice that your phrasing is becoming much more melodic on each new recording and that's what we are looking for. Melody and direction. You are doing a great job.

Some other things to have in mind:

- Use more bending technique.
- Use more vibrato.
- Use legato technique.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mith
Sep 29 2014, 04:06 PM
yeah the same rhythm thing is something I had noticed too. But spent a bit of time tonight jamming with the wk 6 track and i think I can really work on that. Oh you mentioned "Aggressive" bending. I take it I should try bending like 1 1/2 steps (keeping in the scale of course) and doing it more sharply

Oh I also started messing around with a bit of pre-bending, that was fun. Also going to finally start trying to get a bit og whammy bar going since I don't use it nearly enough

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 29 2014, 05:25 PM
Instructor
That sounds very good! Check out this lessons for some inspiration about this topics:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Phrase-Book-Pre-Bends/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Phrase-Book/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 1 2014, 03:37 PM
Hey Gab,

You mentioned a few post back about the guitar tone I'm using being a bit noisy. I'm noticing it alot since I'm moving around alot getting use to using a whammy bar (working on "punching notes" where you depress the bar hammer on the not and release the bar) Anyway what would you recommend to correct this. I also notice notes don't "sing" as well as they probably could.

So what would you recommend for helping the guitar sing, harmonics to jump out and to help me get use to the whammy bar in optimal conditions. Any of your POD presets on your page be a good starting block since most the tones I make seem to be more or less the same gain/ noise wise.

Also those alternate picking (Tho I tend to economy pick them for the most part) exercise are great and I really like dropping them in random spots. is there anywhere to find more of that kinda of thing

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:29 PM