2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Talent Vs Practise
Phil66
May 31 2018, 08:38 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Somehow I got a free 30 day trial to this guy's lesson site. One of the videos on his site is an updated version of this one but this still gets the point across.

https://youtu.be/kys6POthOk8

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Jun 5 2018, 01:58 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 31 2018, 07:38 PM) *
Somehow I got a free 30 day trial to this guy's lesson site. One of the videos on his site is an updated version of this one but this still gets the point across.

https://youtu.be/kys6POthOk8

Yeah... been saying this for years. Talent doesn't really exist. You get good at that which you practice. Simple as that.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 5 2018, 07:40 AM
GMC Founder
He does a great job explaining the obvious - skills come through practice. "Natural talent" is just a simplified way of labelling fortunate circumstances from an early age.

Whatever you truly put your heart into will become your thing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jun 5 2018, 07:53 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hmmm, short reply as I'm out the door in a second. Haven't seen the video.

I do believe some people are more gifted at grasping and learning things in specific areas (gardening, guitar, football etc.) than others, who have other areas. Football came VERY natural to me. But this made me WANT to practice, and so I ended up enjoying and having training 5 days a week, and I became good quite fast.

So when you have an area in life that you find is easy and FUN for you, you MAY want to put more time and effort into it.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Jun 5 2018, 07:53 AM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 5 2018, 09:11 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jun 5 2018, 08:53 AM) *
Football came VERY natural to me. But this made me WANT to practice, and so I ended up enjoying and having training 5 days a week, and I became good quite fast.

When you say it came natural to you, do you remember the first time you played with a ball - and how that went?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jun 5 2018, 11:38 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jun 5 2018, 10:11 AM) *
When you say it came natural to you, do you remember the first time you played with a ball - and how that went?

I mean, it didn't go well, obviously, but the learning felt easier for me than say learning German, whereas I had a friend who was not very good at football, but very good at German.

Of course it's a matter of interest too - if you're interested in something you're willing to invest more hours into it.

But I don't agree if you tell me we all come with a clean slate equal to everything. I do agree everything can be learned, but some people need to work harder for it than others.

Obviously I'm not saying you can just go and do something without practice.

But to me there a many factors and I can't tell you the exact equation, but a natural ability to learn a certain trade is a factor in my world. With that comes motivation to practice more and so on.

Also, what is it they say, hard work beats talent if talent doesn't work hard?

With hard work and dedication anything can be achieved, but I still think we all have certain we're more easily inclined to become good at.

--------------------

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Jun 5 2018, 12:20 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jun 5 2018, 10:38 AM) *
With hard work and dedication anything can be achieved, but I still think we all have certain we're more easily inclined to become good at.

Sure but almost always that's a consequence of factored experience rather than "born-with" attributes. Although most people can't trace them. It's described very well in the book Piano Fundamentals where some students will just be so interested in the topic that they start to visualize themselves playing very early. While others can spend years not even thinking that visualizing is a valid thing to do.

I think I'll never become good at anything I don't enjoy doing. It just wont happen. But if there's a spark, patience and belief that you can do it-you can become the best at it even if you suck at it to begin with. That, at least, has been shown to be true thousands and thousands of times over. Mozart is probably the best example. He wasn't very good at all until he's estimated to have practiced over 10,000 hours, just like everyone else.

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 5 2018, 03:08 PM
I've said it here a million times.
'Talent' is just the desire and ability to find joy in doing the hard work.
When you start young you also have all the time in the world to put in that work.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 5 2018, 08:46 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jun 5 2018, 12:38 PM) *
I mean, it didn't go well, obviously, but the learning felt easier for me than say learning German, whereas I had a friend who was not very good at football, but very good at German.

Your analysis might be correct - but this has nothing to do with the anxiety people feel when they get to hear they need natural talent to make it as musicians. It is simply not true. You need dedication and a genuine love for the music you play - no natural-talent-musician-gene.

I think Ken put it well!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 5 2018, 09:03 PM
This is turning into a good discussion, I only posted the video to help those newcomers that think they have no "natural talent" wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Jun 5 2018, 09:08 PM

Overused cliché but still valid.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 5 2018, 09:12 PM
Excellent quote.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jun 5 2018, 09:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jun 5 2018, 09:46 PM) *
Your analysis might be correct - but this has nothing to do with the anxiety people feel when they get to hear they need natural talent to make it as musicians. It is simply not true. You need dedication and a genuine love for the music you play - no natural-talent-musician-gene.

I think Ken put it well!

completely agree. Hard work beats anything, Kris!

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jun 6 2018, 03:28 AM
Learning Tone Master
there is natural giftedness , yes you have to practice and develop it , but for some it is easier than others . As there are some no matter how much they practice they will never have great timing as well as someone who is tone deaf , one of the hardest things tell tell someone who has great timing and a great passion and work attitude is that they are tone def.

There are spectrum's with giftedness , how else do you explain the 13 year old shredder that has been playing one year , I have practiced more years than he has been alive.I am not saying those that have less can not overcome and become good , but I don't think you can try to wisp away the truth . Lets face it, sometimes dedication and a love for music is not enough . That being said , I think it is wonderful when passion and dedication do overcome a lead someone to a satisfying ability whether in music or elsewhere

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 6 2018, 04:20 AM
There is a Lot of truth in that to be sure. It can really throw folks off when they hear "it takes talent" and folks may feel like they have no talent. I sure had zero talent. But I wanted to play guitar from about age 5. Got my first electric after asking for one for 8 years when I was about 13. Was just horrible for another 5 years til I taught myself enough to be dangerous smile.gif

I'm sure folks get a bit of a leg up with some sort of innate ability. Not me, but some. smile.gif I would say that playing guitar just takes the will to play and a guitar smile.gif

quote name='Kristofer Dahl' date='Jun 5 2018, 03:46 PM' post='759467']

I think Ken put it well!
[/quote]

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jun 6 2018, 08:34 AM
Learning Tone Master
Music skills will always be a result of a hard work. To be absolutely honest, I really believe that a bunch of people use the word "talent" like an excuse to put no effort in.
It's much easy for them to say that someone was born "gifted" than to recognize how many hours per/day that person practiced to achieve flawless skills.

All of us we have different aptitudes. Some people are very ambitious and self demanding, some have good ears and a nice sense of melody or a good rhythm, etc. Some people come from a different corner where they are damn good at math, logic or abstract thinking. But you know what? No matter what kind of skill you have, in the end all these aptitudes (related or not to music) prove to have an important roll in making music.
All you need is to be honest with yourself and analyze if you really want to become a good musician or not. The biggest obstacle which are holding you back, it's no one else than yourself wink.gif

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Jun 6 2018, 02:11 PM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jun 6 2018, 02:28 AM) *
there is natural giftedness , yes you have to practice and develop it , but for some it is easier than others . As there are some no matter how much they practice they will never have great timing as well as someone who is tone deaf , one of the hardest things tell tell someone who has great timing and a great passion and work attitude is that they are tone def.

There are spectrum's with giftedness , how else do you explain the 13 year old shredder that has been playing one year , I have practiced more years than he has been alive.

Tonedeafness is a myth though. There's an actual condition but it only affects about 1% of the population. If you're tonedeaf you can't learn to speak a language. There are virtually no 13 year old shredders that have been playing for only one year neither. And the ones who have usually have terrible technique or play simple things. I've personally not seen any child prodigies that are actually "good". I've seen a couple that can monkey perpetual burn by Jason Becker, but so could I when I practiced similar things in my early teens for a year straight...

It's also ofcourse a matter of what and how you practice too. Jimmy Rosenberg might be the exception... he was truely fantastic as a kid although he probably had 15 000 hours played by then already.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jun 6 2018, 02:58 PM
Learning Rock Star
Here's another interesting article: https://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/ju...-talent-kaufman

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 6 2018, 04:59 PM
When I was teaching private guitar lessons at a music shop in the 80s and 90s, there were little kids (early teenagers) that had only played for a year or two but had learned "Eruption" and the "Flying High Again" solo. I know these kids played for like 4 hours a day, 7 days a week. Their parents told me. They didn't play baseball, they didn't do their homework, they didn't chase after girls, etc. They played guitar. It's all they 'desired' to do.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 6 2018, 05:00 PM

+Quote Post
Arpeggio
Jun 6 2018, 09:38 PM
oh

This post has been edited by Arpeggio: Jun 6 2018, 09:39 PM

--------------------
Founder of new startup social network site that brings the good aspects of MySpace, Twitter and FaceBook together.

MyTwitFace.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:41 AM