> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Amitai's Technique Builder
Cosmin Lupu
May 1 2013, 12:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Amitai Kedmi @ Apr 30 2013, 09:52 PM) *
Hey Cosmin, I'm bumping this since I have moved back to my old place after a few months of traveling.
So now I have the time, and after you made that video about becoming a better lead guitarist, I knew you
could help me a lot more.

If you have the time, I'd love to continue this journey.

Amitai.

Heheheey biggrin.gif Welcome back little buddy! Sure thing smile.gif Let me know what you are currently working on and i will answer using videos because it's a lot easier to talk and demo things with the guitar rather than write!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Amitai Kedmi
May 1 2013, 01:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 1 2013, 12:59 PM) *
Heheheey biggrin.gif Welcome back little buddy! Sure thing smile.gif Let me know what you are currently working on and i will answer using videos because it's a lot easier to talk and demo things with the guitar rather than write!

Well first, I came back last night really late, and saw your video response.
So I played a little with inspiration from you (first singing and then trying to find it on the fretboard).
https://soundcloud.com/amitaik/cosmins-wise-words
Please ignore any rhythmical issues, it was really late and I was drunk. laugh.gif

Second, I am trying to work on my creative writing and composing, aswell as lead technique and understanding
guitar licks theoretically. I would love some guidance.

Thank you very much,
Amitai.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 1 2013, 03:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Amitai Kedmi @ May 1 2013, 12:22 PM) *
Well first, I came back last night really late, and saw your video response.
So I played a little with inspiration from you (first singing and then trying to find it on the fretboard).
https://soundcloud.com/amitaik/cosmins-wise-words
Please ignore any rhythmical issues, it was really late and I was drunk. laugh.gif

Second, I am trying to work on my creative writing and composing, aswell as lead technique and understanding
guitar licks theoretically. I would love some guidance.

Thank you very much,
Amitai.

Hey man, this sounds promising and I have the following idea smile.gif let's establish a chord progression and create a dialogue, you play a phrase and I play one. The rule is - sing it first and then play and record. After recording and being satisfied with the result, we analyze and say to each other what we played smile.gif ok?

+Quote Post
Amitai Kedmi
May 1 2013, 05:23 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 1 2013, 03:15 PM) *
Hey man, this sounds promising and I have the following idea smile.gif let's establish a chord progression and create a dialogue, you play a phrase and I play one. The rule is - sing it first and then play and record. After recording and being satisfied with the result, we analyze and say to each other what we played smile.gif ok?

Sounds great. Just to start it off, I'll be first. smile.gif

6/4, 120BPM.

Attached File  Phrasing_with_Cosmin_1___120BPM_Backing.mp3 ( 1.37MB ) Number of downloads: 113

Attached File  Phrasing_with_Cosmin_1___First_Phrase.mp3 ( 1.37MB ) Number of downloads: 122

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 2 2013, 12:38 PM
Instructor
Very nice mate - I'll cook up something and post tomorrow morning biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Amitai Kedmi
May 5 2013, 01:37 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Cosmin!

Well for now, here's something I recorded while playing with intervals on the first mode.
Attached File  Sixths.mp3 ( 2.97MB ) Number of downloads: 137

Would also appreciate it a lot if you could recommend me a lesson about rock/blues phrasing, and right using of the pentatonic positions.

Thank you!

Amitai. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 5 2013, 01:54 PM
Instructor
Hey man! I'm delaying a bit on the recording of that phrase - it's Easter here and we are celebrating this weekend (Most likely I'll record on Tuesday). But, my most heartfelt recommendation for you, regarding the blues/ rock lessons are definitely the ones our former fellow instructor Mate Nagy wrote for GMC - let's start with this one - it's got groove and it needs great control over the bends and vibrato!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Angus-Attitude-Blues/

What do you say, my friend? biggrin.gif

Cosmin

PS: The recording showcases a great atmospheric idea! I definitely like it, but tell me, what do you mean by the first mode? Because it doesn't sound Ionian to my ears smile.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: May 5 2013, 01:56 PM

+Quote Post
Amitai Kedmi
May 6 2013, 09:58 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Cosmin, happy Easter!

I will definetaly try that one.

And about the recording, you are right.
The "Rhythm" guitar is played on the Ionian mode (playing sixth and seventh pairs), and for the rest,
it's a combination of the Ionian and the Aeolian.
And thank you smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 6 2013, 09:41 PM
Instructor
Hey buddy smile.gif Here's what came to my head - after playing it, I realized that my aim (subconsciously) was to hit E or B notes whenever the riff changed to one of those chords. Tried to be as laid back as possible, in order to keep a smooth bluesy atmosphere.

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: May 6 2013, 09:43 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Amitai_1.mp3 ( 501.25K ) Number of downloads: 88

+Quote Post
Amitai Kedmi
Jan 27 2014, 12:45 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Cosmin!
How are you?

I'm back once again, after six months being away from home, only had my classical guitar.
I didn't have much time to practice, but I did play almost daily for about an hour.
Now I'm back home hopefully for atleast a few months. First thing I did was taking a look around GMC
and looking for good acoustic lessons. Since I only had my classical guitar, I got a bit into fingerstyle playing.

Began the Brazilian Choro lesson a few days ago. Playing it all day and all night, it's an amazing lesson!
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Brazilian-Choro/

I'd like to tackle it and play it full speed, including the last bit with the diminished arpeggios!
I can upload a video (haven't got my little studio set up yet, but I can record it with my shitty laptop) if you wish.
I have a serious problem understanding the diminished arpeggios timing.

So yeah! It's awesome to back. And if you have the time to help me, I'd be super glad!
Got motivation and ambitions smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 27 2014, 12:40 PM
Instructor

Hello and welcome back Amitai!

I would be glad to help out - so please show me where the problem is smile.gif Note that I don't know any classical guitar technique - especially in respect to the right hand and I can only tell you what doesn't sound right or in good timing smile.gif But let's give things a shot!

How is life going, man?

+Quote Post
Amitai Kedmi
Jan 27 2014, 04:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 27 2014, 12:40 PM) *
Hello and welcome back Amitai!

I would be glad to help out - so please show me where the problem is smile.gif Note that I don't know any classical guitar technique - especially in respect to the right hand and I can only tell you what doesn't sound right or in good timing smile.gif But let's give things a shot!

How is life going, man?

Hey!
Everything is great. Home feels good.
Hows Romania? I'm going to be there in four months, meeting up with friends that are traveling the area, then going to Germany through Hungary and Austria.

And for the classical guitar technique, I don't mind. I would like to add on to my current theory knowledge, and make it more practical.
I'd like to compose (not classical tunes, more jazz and indie/folk), and understand it. I don't want to play around, stop myself on something
specific, say "Hey! That's good!" if I won't understand why it's good.

This post has been edited by Amitai Kedmi: Jan 27 2014, 04:43 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 28 2014, 08:35 AM
Instructor
Hehe! Good choice man smile.gif I am pretty much the same - trying to borrow from everywhere, understand everything, but use only what I really like. Well, in the mean time, I am waiting for your recording and if you wish, maybe we can meet up when you arrive here in Romania - what do you say? We can make a pic for GMC biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Amitai Kedmi
Jan 28 2014, 11:07 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 28 2014, 08:35 AM) *
Hehe! Good choice man smile.gif I am pretty much the same - trying to borrow from everywhere, understand everything, but use only what I really like. Well, in the mean time, I am waiting for your recording and if you wish, maybe we can meet up when you arrive here in Romania - what do you say? We can make a pic for GMC biggrin.gif

Well I think I got the "Brazilian Choro" under control hehe. I got the diminished part timing right, it's just super fast so I'm pacing myself.
I'll work on it a bit more, then I'll post a recording.

In the mean time, I'd like to get guidance on the theory=>practical theory part.
I know modes, not really good, but I know how to build them.
I'd like to have modes as a second nature. So I can play them fluently and understand them better.
So if we can begin with that it'd be super. I don't really know what else should I mention. Maybe arpeggios?

And yeah! If we'll be somewhere near Bucharest I'll be sure to let you know! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 29 2014, 10:47 AM
Instructor
Hey there mate smile.gif

I know what you mean and I will help out as best I can. The whole thing that you need to master, is the relationship between notes and chords. That's basically what modes are all about - first step smile.gif Watch the replay of this video chat here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=671081

After this, please follow these steps:

- record 7 modal vamps (simple modal progressions - do you know how?) - one for each mode
- use the concepts in the video chat replay over each vamp on ONE string smile.gif - basically at this step I want you to play the characteristic scale degree of each mode against that modal progression so that you may get acquainted with the flavor of the mode.

The characteristic scale degree is that particular note in each mode that gives it its flavor. Let me know if I am too fast, ok?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Amitai Kedmi
Jan 29 2014, 06:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Cosmin.

I've watched it, great stuff!
I think I understand. So I need to use a diatonic chord progression that revolves around a chord that represents
a mode.

So I'm using a G root note (Ionian).
If I want to do a Dorian modal vamp, I can play 2-5-1 |Am|Am|D|G|. Is that right?
Then play the Dorian scale on one string?

*So I gave it a shot, playing G Dorian on the first string, with one finger.
It was hard because I haven't got my full set up yet, so playing on my classical guitar, which doesn't have markings.
https://soundcloud.com/amitaik/g-dorian-1st-string

This post has been edited by Amitai Kedmi: Jan 30 2014, 02:04 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 30 2014, 08:41 AM
Instructor
Yes mate! Haha - great ideas - I think you nailed it totally biggrin.gif I'm so glad - the situation you described is best noted as:

i IV VII as you are regarding it in an A Dorian context rather than ii V I judging it by the functions of the chords in the G major scale context - of course for the Am D G progression smile.gif

What do you think so far?

+Quote Post
Amitai Kedmi
Jan 30 2014, 11:17 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 30 2014, 08:41 AM) *
Yes mate! Haha - great ideas - I think you nailed it totally biggrin.gif I'm so glad - the situation you described is best noted as:

i IV VII as you are regarding it in an A Dorian context rather than ii V I judging it by the functions of the chords in the G major scale context - of course for the Am D G progression smile.gif

What do you think so far?

I think that it's pretty amazing. After a few minutes of playing I think I know the Dorian scale on the first string better than I ever have biggrin.gif

But isn't it more confusing that way?
I mean, I know that when talking about a major scale, from the root note -
I - maj7
II - m7
III - m7
IV - maj7
V - 7
VI - m7
VII - dim
I understood why I-IV-VII, every chord is taken one "step" back when talking about the 2nd mode.
If I wanted to play this progression on the Phrygian it would be VII-III-VI wouldn't it?
And if I play with someone, when he says B Phryigian VI-III-II, its actually |Gmaj7|D7|Cmaj7|?

You also said, unless intending to do so, to avoid finishing phrases on the 4th and the 7th, because they are suspension notes.
If I'm playing the Dorian scale, is it the same with the 4th and 7th, or 3rd and 6th, or not the same at all?

And one more question. Should I play all the modes in a parallel way?
Like you said in the lesson. If I said G Ionian, I should have also played the G Dorian, G Phrygian and so on...?

Thanks! Going to work, afterwards I'll tackle the rest of the dorian strings smile.gif

This post has been edited by Amitai Kedmi: Jan 30 2014, 11:23 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 31 2014, 08:31 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Amitai Kedmi @ Jan 30 2014, 10:17 AM) *
I think that it's pretty amazing. After a few minutes of playing I think I know the Dorian scale on the first string better than I ever have biggrin.gif

But isn't it more confusing that way?
I mean, I know that when talking about a major scale, from the root note -
I - maj7
II - m7
III - m7
IV - maj7
V - 7
VI - m7
VII - dim
I understood why I-IV-VII, every chord is taken one "step" back when talking about the 2nd mode.
If I wanted to play this progression on the Phrygian it would be VII-III-VI wouldn't it?
And if I play with someone, when he says B Phryigian VI-III-II, its actually |Gmaj7|D7|Cmaj7|?

You also said, unless intending to do so, to avoid finishing phrases on the 4th and the 7th, because they are suspension notes.
If I'm playing the Dorian scale, is it the same with the 4th and 7th, or 3rd and 6th, or not the same at all?

And one more question. Should I play all the modes in a parallel way?
Like you said in the lesson. If I said G Ionian, I should have also played the G Dorian, G Phrygian and so on...?

Thanks! Going to work, afterwards I'll tackle the rest of the dorian strings smile.gif

Hey mate - everything is correct wink.gif up to the question regarding the VI III II - you also need the i - that means the B chord. Otherwise, you will not be able to tell the nature of the progression. Most of the times, a modal progression begins with the chord derived from the scale step that dictates the mode. That would mean that this progression should look more like this: i VI III II or even better i II VI III wink.gif

Regarding the tension smile.gif It is more of an interval knowledge question - there are intervals which can solve phrases in a very fluid way or others which can create more tension and not release the phrase at all - I recommend you to read this thread for more ideas on the matter:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0#entry644329

And yes, try the modes in the parallel but also in the derivative way biggrin.gif In that way, you will become even more knowledgeable wink.gif I am SO glad you understand these things biggrin.gif Really!!

+Quote Post
Amitai Kedmi
Feb 2 2014, 02:09 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 31 2014, 08:31 AM) *
Hey mate - everything is correct wink.gif up to the question regarding the VI III II - you also need the i - that means the B chord. Otherwise, you will not be able to tell the nature of the progression. Most of the times, a modal progression begins with the chord derived from the scale step that dictates the mode. That would mean that this progression should look more like this: i VI III II or even better i II VI III wink.gif

Regarding the tension smile.gif It is more of an interval knowledge question - there are intervals which can solve phrases in a very fluid way or others which can create more tension and not release the phrase at all - I recommend you to read this thread for more ideas on the matter:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0#entry644329

And yes, try the modes in the parallel but also in the derivative way biggrin.gif In that way, you will become even more knowledgeable wink.gif I am SO glad you understand these things biggrin.gif Really!!

Hey Cosmin, how was your weekend? Or is it not over yet?
Our week starts on Sunday, so mine is unfortunaly over sad.gif

It confuses me. If I'm playing 7 different modal vamps, what differs them from one another if they should start with the "nature of the progression" meaning the root notes chord? I don't really know if I'm sure how to make 7 different modal vamps.

It's a bit much, I'm sure you know. 6 different string, 7 different modes, parallel, derivative. I think I'll just begin with the first few
modes, in a parallel way, string by string. What do you think?

I'll try and upload some takes tomorrow, or in 2 days.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 09:47 AM