Students That Dont Want To Learn
Jacob Sinclair
Aug 7 2008, 08:03 PM
GMC:er
hello there,
ive been teaching guitar for about 6 months now, and everything has been going very well. Except for a new student a started teaching a month ago. He is very young on 8 years old and he just dont want to learn. He doesnt seem interested at all in the guitar. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could get him more involved in the instrument?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JeroenKole
Aug 7 2008, 08:12 PM
8 years? that is very young.

I think he is being pushed by his parents to learn to play guitar (I think) and in that case it might be better to talk to the parents.

if that is not the case tell him what inspired you to pick up the guitar and show him some very inspirational players.

Also make sure the lessons are fun. I used to help classmates out with their history and they told me that because I used a touch of humor here and there they understood things easier.

At 8 years it is best you learn something like an instrument in a playful interactive manner. teach him one or two chords each lesson and make a game out of it.

If that doesn't help be sure to post again as I might get some more inspiration ^^

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Aug 7 2008, 08:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JeroenKole @ Aug 7 2008, 09:12 PM) *
8 years? that is very young.

I think he is being pushed by his parents to learn to play guitar (I think) and in that case it might be better to talk to the parents.

if that is not the case tell him what inspired you to pick up the guitar and show him some very inspirational players.

Also make sure the lessons are fun. I used to help classmates out with their history and they told me that because I used a touch of humor here and there they understood things easier.

At 8 years it is best you learn something like an instrument in a playful interactive manner. teach him one or two chords each lesson and make a game out of it.

If that doesn't help be sure to post again as I might get some more inspiration ^^

I agree with this, learning should be fun and interesting. Not forced.

Also, ask if he's got any favourite songs. At 8 you havent grown into you musical preference yet, but if there's a song he really likes, show him a thing or two from that song.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 7 2008, 08:43 PM
Instructor
Oh my, he's young indeed. Try with a couple of chords, or some interesting melodies, maybe even classical ones. Children like classical stuff, like Fur Elise, or some simple Mozart part.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 7 2008, 08:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
Very young indeed.

Find his favorite song. Teach him that.

And, yes, find out if he is being forced to play the guitar or if there's another instrument he'd rather play.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Bedlam
Aug 7 2008, 08:47 PM
I think the only way he'll get interested is if you teach him a song he knows. Ivan had a good idea to teach him Fur Elise...

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Aug 7 2008, 08:47 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 7 2008, 08:44 PM) *
Very young indeed.

And, yes, find out if he is being forced to play the guitar or if there's another instrument he'd rather play.

What Happens when he tells you his favorite song is Cliffs of dover? tongue.gif

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 7 2008, 08:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Aug 7 2008, 09:47 PM) *
What Happens when he tells you his favorite song is Cliffs of dover? tongue.gif

Then you tell him that it isn't. He's only 8, easy to correct and put in place! laugh.gif

Oh, man, just listened to Cliffs of Dover. Been a long time since I listened to Eric. He always leaves me in awe.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Gus
Aug 7 2008, 09:06 PM
I actually started classical guitar at the age of 8. I wanted to go for electric, but somehow someone convinced my mother that the right way was to learn classical first mad.gif

I actually start ed liking the classical stuff as well, but after some time just got stuck and bored. It started to get too hard. At the age of 11 I totally lost the interest for the instrument. It was not before 15, i started again with the songs I liked. Much simpler, actually, just chords.
My old dream of going to electric only happened at the age of 23...

Moral of story: You've gotta teach what he wants to play, not what his parents are forcing him.
Moral of story 2: He is still to young to be sure what he wants. So you better show a little of several things and let him choose. wink.gif
Moral of story 3: keep him motivated by letting him learning at his own pace. Do not push too hard, following a method or a book as you would do with an older student.

This post has been edited by Gus: Aug 7 2008, 09:09 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
Aug 7 2008, 09:13 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
QUOTE (Jacob Sinclair @ Aug 7 2008, 03:03 PM) *
hello there,
ive been teaching guitar for about 6 months now, and everything has been going very well. Except for a new student a started teaching a month ago. He is very young on 8 years old and he just dont want to learn. He doesnt seem interested at all in the guitar. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could get him more involved in the instrument?

Hey Jacob,
As much as I would hate to see anyone not experience the beauty of music my advice is to let the parents know he is not interested and hope they make the right choice. Learning an instrument is not for everyone. A child should not be forced to play music if he or she does not want to. I would love to spread the joy that music offers me with all but unfortunately not everyone would share my same passion for it. I think if the parents are that adimate about him doing something constructive with his time, they need to sit down with the child and make a list of realistic things that interest him and are acceptable to them. If he decides to do something on that list and again begins to show little or no interest then the parents are going to have bigger fish to fry in the future. In this case I think his parents should bring him to the center of town and chain him to a poll with the sign "quitter" around his neck. Leave him there 1 day for each thing he has given up on. He'll learn eventually.... laugh.gif

Just kidding of course!!!

That would be my approach because in my opinon, forcing anyone to commit to something they aren't interested in is a waste of everyones time and effort. Good luck

This post has been edited by Henry Dietzel: Aug 7 2008, 09:16 PM

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Aug 7 2008, 09:16 PM
I was forced to take piano lessons as a kid. I was taught classical, but just wanted to play Billy Joel songs. It was my teacher who forced me to quit, not my parents. I regret it now, of course, but I learned a lot and applied that knowledge to teaching myself guitar. Maybe suggest another instrument? Or, as I read in a reply, find out what music he likes.

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
Aug 8 2008, 12:31 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 7 2008, 09:44 PM) *
Very young indeed.

If the kid isn't into it, there's not much you can do!
I "HAD" a student like that, tough one.
Maybe finding out choice of music? that was a good suggestion!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 8 2008, 01:27 AM
Instructor
So he is taking classes by parent's suggestion,not his own will?
That might be a problem indeed,very young kid tho.

Some nice suggestions have been said above,try them. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
kjutte
Aug 8 2008, 06:32 AM
QUOTE (Jacob Sinclair @ Aug 7 2008, 09:03 PM) *
hello there,

Be blunt and ask him if he wants to learn at all. If he doesn't, then just noodle around. you're still earning money!

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Aug 8 2008, 08:34 AM
Singing Instructor
I haw a sister,she is 7 and she will be 8 in decembre,she is out playing the whole day,and I think that that is the way.kids haw to be kids and PLAY, making relations with other kids,so I agree,hi is a bit young.But ask him what cartoons he like,and try to find some well known melody from there.maybe that will make him interested a bit.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
superize
Aug 8 2008, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
It is important that he wants to play on his free will if his parents are forcing him talk to parents because it reallysounds like he is not playing on his free will. If he is there on his free will teach him something fun like a melody from a song he likes or from a cartoon like Nemanja said

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:29 PM