3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Home Studio On A Budget!
deeaa
Jun 2 2013, 08:54 PM
GMC:er
The fives definitely need a subwoofer.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
Jun 2 2013, 09:24 PM
Lots of good info flying around here, and a killer setup too (I didn't have a table for my setup for a long time too haha).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 2 2013, 10:14 PM
I"d say SCARLETT. I hope this is ok, since I think you mentioned buying the EMU? The Scarlett has really nice specs for the price and a bit better mic preamps imho.

Todd
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 1 2013, 06:20 AM) *

YUP!!! Almost any smaller near fields (5 inch, 6 inch, woofer especially) really do need a subwoofer. Otherwise you are just guessing about the bass. The result is usually overbassy mixes.

Many folks, new to home recording, often think that home stereo speakers that "sound good" will work well for mixing. Sadly, these speakers are typically not good for mixing since they exaggerate the bass/treble. However, sometimes there is no other choice. If the budget does not permit good speakers, then you have to work with what you've got.

Todd

QUOTE (deeaa @ Jun 2 2013, 03:54 PM) *
The fives definitely need a subwoofer.

The ROKIT 5 speakers are a great choice IMHO!!! For the price they are hard to beat. I"ve got the ROKIT 6 and I really like them. They have served me really well.

I did have to add a subwoofer and that's not cheap as you know. But once I did, I could actually here what was going on in the bottom of the mix. Without the sub, it's pure guesswork. HEadphones will give you some clues, but it's not quite the same.

I have an unmatched sub from a generic builder. I want the matched KRK sub but it's a bit pricey. I've got my eye out for one smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 27 2013, 03:02 AM) *
Nice article man! Well, at this point, I decided to upgrade a bit and get the KRK Rokit 5 monitors and this audio interface: http://www.thomann.de/gb/emu_0404_usb.htm

If anybody has any experience with it, I'd be grateful for some info smile.gif I worked with the 0402 and it is a very reliable device.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 3 2013, 07:12 AM
Instructor
Thank you for the great input guys!

So, I will stay with the KRK Rokit8 and probably think the interface a bit more - I am thinking of expanding my budget a bit, so that I may have a better choice. What would you recommend for about 250-300 bucks?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 3 2013, 09:26 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Jun 2 2013, 03:16 PM) *
Heres my setup. Oh God, I even don't have a table. sad.gif I can't place things permanently as my room is pretty small so need to pack things when done. I bought the speakers about 2 years ago and this is only probably 2nd time I used it.. lol! I do plan to make a good home studio (like Steve Vais except for gears) within the next 2 years where I will be spending my retirement. wink.gif

I use Axe FX II for guitars and I recently bought the Focusrite 18i20 which is awesome! biggrin.gif

Ha ha smile.gif I used to use the boxes as a stands too smile.gif Better this than anything solid, that links the bass to the floor or table. Now I have to fix the new place. Sound is bad as hell - room is smaller than the previous one (but it's now only for the audio purpose and I don't have to "sleep at work place" smile.gif. I think I will not survive without making some bass traps and putting something "not solid" on the table. at this point there is no chace I could refer to the sound coming out of this speakers. But...it's alwyas a bit wof work to be done when move to different place smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 3 2013, 05:51 PM
Maybe add a couple hundred bux to it and get the SCARLET that MAHARZAN bought? It's got plenty of inputs and sounds good smile.gif

The trouble with the $2500$300 range is that most gear in that range is sonically not that different IMHO. Your mostly choosing based on what features you want, rather than quality preamps etc.

In that range, the Presonus stuff is good, and the smaller SCARLET is good as well.

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 3 2013, 02:12 AM) *
Thank you for the great input guys!

So, I will stay with the KRK Rokit8 and probably think the interface a bit more - I am thinking of expanding my budget a bit, so that I may have a better choice. What would you recommend for about 250-300 bucks?

+Quote Post
deeaa
Jun 3 2013, 09:09 PM
+1 for presonus.

I don't think any manufacturer is always up to speed on everything...studio grade soundcards are a bit of a niche market anyway in the great scheme...but, I've had a lot of soundcards, and this current presonus has been so far and by far the most trouble free. Usually I've changed soundcards due to driver issues with new os'es. They always come late, the drivers I mean.

Still, not perfect. I can't get it to send midi from cubade for whatever reason. Or, it could be the alesis drum brain is the culprit.

My next card will likely be presonus too, or, if I can afford it, possibly Motu.

+Quote Post
Britishampfan
Jun 3 2013, 09:37 PM
I really hate to say it but the recording gear that gets used the most is my Mac book Pro, a Fast Track Ultra.

I gave up on pro tools, hardly ever use it anymore the machine just sits there in the studio, and really for just home and small band use a cheap interface and garageband on a mac is as good as anything, and easy too.

How many tracks do you need recorded at once? My fast track can do 6 enough for me. I try to keep recoding easy and simple.

Lots of great projects were recorded on garageband.

I am a big Logic fan, cause it just works, all the time no issues.

I have a really hard time operating the equipment and performance at the same time, left brain, right brain thing for me I can`t do both, my writing and playing suffers. I need easy, or I just get lost and frustrated.

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jun 4 2013, 05:46 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Just to add My Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 just worked when I plugged in. They said to download drivers but it worked without them too, which is awesome. I had a lot of issues with Pro Tools, having to stick that thing and then needed to install drivers etc and with no firewire 400 port, it just got difficult. Its all personal choice afterall and you get used to things you have. I wanted to buy a USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt interface since thats the future but not many are there and they are over 3000 bucks. sad.gif I am also after good design, afterall I am a designer. smile.gif If you need lesser inputs, this looks good too: http://global.focusrite.com/usb-audio-inte...s/scarlett-18i8 or http://global.focusrite.com/usb-audio-inte...es/scarlett-2i2

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 4 2013, 12:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 3 2013, 04:51 PM) *
Maybe add a couple hundred bux to it and get the SCARLET that MAHARZAN bought? It's got plenty of inputs and sounds good smile.gif

The trouble with the $2500$300 range is that most gear in that range is sonically not that different IMHO. Your mostly choosing based on what features you want, rather than quality preamps etc.

In that range, the Presonus stuff is good, and the smaller SCARLET is good as well.

Todd

Thanks Todd! After doing some more research I found the following gimmick - a pair of old generation Behringer monitors the 2030 NOT the 2030A which are made now. I understand they are a sort of a 'manufacturing mistake' which actually sounds excellent, but the thing is they are not made anymore so I should find them on eBay. Anybody know stuff about them?

+Quote Post
deeaa
Jun 4 2013, 04:41 PM
They're direct Genelec copies so yeah, they sound GREAT for the money indeed...my friend had a pair but when they started darting later he got the original Genelecs. And they really don't sound hugely better even. Clearly a little, but the behris are quite good.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 4 2013, 11:07 PM
Which speakers you are talking about? It's a good sized thread with lots of replies so using a snippet of what you are replying to is always helpful smile.gif Are you talking about the KRK speakers?

Todd

QUOTE (deeaa @ Jun 4 2013, 11:41 AM) *
They're direct Genelec copies so yeah, they sound GREAT for the money indeed...my friend had a pair but when they started darting later he got the original Genelecs. And they really don't sound hugely better even. Clearly a little, but the behris are quite good.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 4 2013, 11:08 PM

+Quote Post
deeaa
Jun 5 2013, 05:10 AM
Behringer 2030 is Genelec 1030 copy.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 5 2013, 08:13 AM
Instructor
Yes, yes, those are the ones my friend was talking about and he also said that he can hunt them down for me on eBay biggrin.gif Will keep you guys updated on this little endeavor!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 5 2013, 08:26 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (deeaa @ Jun 5 2013, 04:10 AM) *
Behringer 2030 is Genelec 1030 copy.

Yep. A lot of Behringer stuff is a close copy of other gear. This probably helps explain why Behringer stuff is cheap as they probably have low R&D. Another reason though is that the build quality of Behringer can be a bit hit and miss, you can strike lucky and get a good one but often they go wrong. If you can Cosmin you need to physically check the monitors out just to make sure the build quality and also that the speaker cones are ok etc. (This is true of all used monitors though - some people have bought used Yamaha NS10s and then find that they've been thrashed.)

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 5 2013, 08:55 AM
Instructor
Yep...Behringer is a weird thing. I still think that the Truth series is one of the best that money can buy in it's price range. Also little tube mic preamp are cool. I thought that I'll get tons of noise out of it or some other issues...but I was surprised and decided to keep it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 5 2013, 09:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jun 5 2013, 07:26 AM) *
Yep. A lot of Behringer stuff is a close copy of other gear. This probably helps explain why Behringer stuff is cheap as they probably have low R&D. Another reason though is that the build quality of Behringer can be a bit hit and miss, you can strike lucky and get a good one but often they go wrong. If you can Cosmin you need to physically check the monitors out just to make sure the build quality and also that the speaker cones are ok etc. (This is true of all used monitors though - some people have bought used Yamaha NS10s and then find that they've been thrashed.)

Thank you Tony - indeed this can be a major miss, simply because if I get them from eBay, I can't check anything .... pfff. I should think this thoroughly. I also thought about these: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-produ...dio/?mode=model

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 5 2013, 11:34 PM
COSMIN:

I had a pair of 2030a and they were AWFUL. I don't know about trusting a manufacturing mistake for mixing. I"d honestly suggest avoiding behringer speakers. Speakers are just to crucial.

I"ve tried those yamaha and they were pretty awful as well. Zero bass, wonky shrill treble. Only good for talk back monitors.

For the price, I'd say (same as most folks so it's hardly original) get some KRK Rokits Get the 6 or the 8 and add a sub later, whenever. Those Behringers and those yamahas are just not worthy of mixing your music. sad.gif

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 5 2013, 11:42 PM

+Quote Post
deeaa
Jun 6 2013, 06:33 AM
Generally, I always avoid anything Behringer. Too many quality issues...

But, nearfield monitors are kinda supposed to sound awful, by and large...especially the Yamaha NS-10's. Well anyway, they
re designed to be anything but pleasing to the ear. The idea is they should reveal every little flaw in the recording, mercilessly make it sound terrible until it actually is good...you make your mixes sound great on a pair of the classic Yamahas or 1030's and they will sound AWESOME with most any consumer grade speakers.

I suppose that's why they named them 'Truth' as they should reveal the ugly truth of recordings indeed...BUT it could of course be just the usual Behringer quality & a bad pair. I've owned likely 20 or so Behringer products and about the only thing that never let me down & I constantly use is teh UltraG d/i box. Everything else has proved to be a noise generator like their mixers, or simply gotten broke real quick. Merely mixers, I've gone thru about four.

KRK's are pretty good, but whenever I take my mixes to my friend's 'big' studio and listen to them on his systems (several pairs of Genelecs, KRK's, etc.) I always find a lot of things wrong with them and try to remember what it was when I correct the mixes.

I wish I could get a pair of real 1030's...my friend has one and they're totally in a different class than my KRK's. But then again, they're like five times more expensive too.

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
Jun 6 2013, 07:40 AM
QUOTE (deeaa @ Jun 6 2013, 05:33 AM) *
Generally, I always avoid anything Behringer. Too many quality issues...

Behringer actually make great mixers and a fantastic MIDI controller that's built super solid and has great features for really cheap. Otherwise though you are correct, not great quality.

KRK's are solid speakers. They are the SM57 of the studio monitor world - everyone has 'em. They may not be the best, but they are everywhere, and that should say something about them. I love mine, very nice speakers.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:13 PM