Best Way To Record My New Amp
liveOASISforever
Jun 23 2013, 07:46 AM
GMC:er
I just bought a H&K Tubemeister 18 and looking to start recording lessons in the next couple of months.I am able to record the amp two ways and am not sure which way will be the best.

option 1) Mic the amp then into a audio interface

option 2) Buy a Red Box (speaker simulator) and go into a mixer then into my iMac.

I have no experience in recording either way.The advantage of option 2 is I can turn my amp down to 0w so that I can record silently but I am not sure what the quality will be like.

What do you guys think

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 24 2013, 12:33 AM
Instructor
I think You just answered yourself smile.gif You can use both...it's a matter of circumstances. Also...very often a blend of both could sound descent. Recording the mic will needmany experiments and usually also good eq-ing.If Your room is not prepared for recording than You can expect some low end problems. It's possible that You'll choose the redbox option then

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jun 24 2013, 06:33 AM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jun 24 2013, 12:33 AM) *
I think You just answered yourself smile.gif You can use both...it's a matter of circumstances. Also...very often a blend of both could sound descent. Recording the mic will needmany experiments and usually also good eq-ing.If Your room is not prepared for recording than You can expect some low end problems. It's possible that You'll choose the redbox option then

Thanks for your reply Darius.I understand using a mic and then into a audioface. The problem is I really dont understand the Red Box set up. I have searched for videos on YouTube and can not seem to find anything on it that I find useful.Does the Red Box have to go into a mixer then my iMac or can there be other ways of doing this and will it work with most DAW.

Cheers Sean

+Quote Post
kklee100
Jun 24 2013, 09:17 AM
Learning Rock Star
I asked Todd the same question days ago.

You can have option 3:
connect your amp( from headphone jack) to the audio interface, and using free software(like Amplitube...etc.)for cabinet simulation. It really works well!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am sorry.
I just check the specification of your amp and there is no headphone jack.
So the option 3 can not be used in your case. Sorry.

You can ask Todd. Maybe he has better solution.

This post has been edited by kklee100: Jun 24 2013, 09:18 AM

+Quote Post
pdf64
Jun 24 2013, 09:19 AM
This particular amp has got a built in load (also known as power soak) and recording output (called Red Box)
http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products...ter%2018%20Head
but in general, amps, especially with tube output sections, should not be operated without a speaker (or a load equivalent to a speaker) connected.
Otherwise they can be damaged (think of it like revving a car engine past the 'red line' at traffic lights).
If in doubt, consult the amp's manual, ask the manufacturer; competent people on the forum will help if they can, but may not know the specifics of a particular amp.
Pete

This post has been edited by pdf64: Jun 24 2013, 09:21 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 24 2013, 10:41 AM
Instructor
You can plug the signal from the red box directly to Your audio interface. Red box is an cab sim at least if it's same red box built-in as the stomp box version. You should check what pdf64 wrote...All tube amps need the cab connected ...if not...You could destroy the transformer + some more. There is a possibility that in those such advanced electronics days...H&K has design the amp to work with no-cab option while recording direct signal.

+Quote Post
Mattfig
Jun 24 2013, 12:00 PM
QUOTE (pdf64 @ Jun 24 2013, 08:19 AM) *
This particular amp has got a built in load (also known as power soak) and recording output (called Red Box)
http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products...ter%2018%20Head
but in general, amps, especially with tube output sections, should not be operated without a speaker (or a load equivalent to a speaker) connected.
Otherwise they can be damaged (think of it like revving a car engine past the 'red line' at traffic lights).
If in doubt, consult the amp's manual, ask the manufacturer; competent people on the forum will help if they can, but may not know the specifics of a particular amp.
Pete

That is a nice feature on that amp....You are limited to whichever Redbox IR it uses but I'll bet it sounds great! Like the poster above said, that output is designed to go straight into your audio interface...And you can play it silently as it has a built in loadbox to boot...

Great amp, especially for a beginner - great choice!

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jun 24 2013, 04:29 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone.I understand that the power soak on the amp when turned down to 0w automatically cuts of the speaker.Then the Red Box simulates a cab being used.I checked online and on H&k website and always seen the Red Box going into a mixer.

So going what Darius said I can go from

Amp-Red Box-audio interface-imac

This is what I was hoping to do but never knew if I could go into a audio interface from the Red Box as all I have seen is it going into a mixer.

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Jun 25 2013, 10:25 PM
Using a speaker simulator is always a quicker way to record valve amps for home recordings.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 25 2013, 10:26 PM
if your up for experimenting, I'd suggest you actually record two tracks for each guitar bit in your daw. If you are using REAPER just arm two tracks and feed one track the output of the amp/soak, and feed the other input with just the dry guitar signal. You can do this with a signal splitter (provided it doesnt make noise) or small mixer.

That way you can use the clean signal under the amp signal to create detail and you can duplicate the clean track and apply amplitude etc.

This way you can really create a massive tone that retains it's detail. This does create 3 tracks for each recording which can become a burden with overdubs. But it can sound really huge smile.gif

P.S. Sounds like your amp has a soak built in to you can just run out to your interface which is spiff!

Todd

QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jun 24 2013, 11:29 AM) *
Thanks for all the replies everyone.I understand that the power soak on the amp when turned down to 0w automatically cuts of the speaker.Then the Red Box simulates a cab being used.I checked online and on H&k website and always seen the Red Box going into a mixer.

So going what Darius said I can go from

Amp-Red Box-audio interface-imac

This is what I was hoping to do but never knew if I could go into a audio interface from the Red Box as all I have seen is it going into a mixer.

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jun 26 2013, 05:34 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 25 2013, 10:26 PM) *
if your up for experimenting, I'd suggest you actually record two tracks for each guitar bit in your daw. If you are using REAPER just arm two tracks and feed one track the output of the amp/soak, and feed the other input with just the dry guitar signal. You can do this with a signal splitter (provided it doesnt make noise) or small mixer.

That way you can use the clean signal under the amp signal to create detail and you can duplicate the clean track and apply amplitude etc.

This way you can really create a massive tone that retains it's detail. This does create 3 tracks for each recording which can become a burden with overdubs. But it can sound really huge smile.gif

P.S. Sounds like your amp has a soak built in to you can just run out to your interface which is spiff!

Todd

Yeah mate its got a power soak on it already which is great. I just need to buy a Red Box and a interface and then I can jump into the world of recording.

+Quote Post
SixStringSamurai
Jul 1 2013, 10:30 AM
Is it the combo version?

To take another side of the argument...

If you're happy with the sound you're getting from your speaker, it is a very simple matter to grab an industry standard dynamic mic (SM57 or Audix i5 are the most affordable) and put it straight onto the speaker cone.

Sure, you can adjust and experiment with placement, but right on the cone is the most "present" sound, and it's immediately going to give you quite a decent recorded sound.

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jul 1 2013, 05:37 PM
QUOTE (SixStringSamurai @ Jul 1 2013, 10:30 AM) *
Is it the combo version?

To take another side of the argument...

If you're happy with the sound you're getting from your speaker, it is a very simple matter to grab an industry standard dynamic mic (SM57 or Audix i5 are the most affordable) and put it straight onto the speaker cone.

Sure, you can adjust and experiment with placement, but right on the cone is the most "present" sound, and it's immediately going to give you quite a decent recorded sound.

I got the head and cabinet mate

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:55 AM