What Do You Guys Think I Should Upgrade First On My Yamaha Pacifica?
Praetorian
May 11 2008, 02:16 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I have been playing my Pacifica 012 for a few months now, and am coming along (slowly!). I know that the guitar is still better than I am able to play...but I am an admitted technology junkie! I was wondering what you guys think would be the best upgrade. Pickups? Bridge? I mention bridge because the one that is on it is really crappy. The screws for adjusting the string height on the neck always dig into my hand when I am palm muting. Is this guitar worth upgrading? Or should I play it as it is and save $$ for a better one?

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Praetorian: May 11 2008, 02:16 AM

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
May 11 2008, 04:19 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
IMHO, save for a new axe man. You could spend well more on pickups than the pacifica is worth. My suggestion would be to go to a local shop and test some guitars and find what you like. Once you have a feel for what you want, look around at some local pawn shops and ebay. I bet you find what you are looking for! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
May 11 2008, 11:00 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
In case you want to keep the guitar I would for sure go for a new bridge, what you described sounds nasty. I can't say much about the guitar itself or the pickups, since I don't know that model, but good pickups can for sure improve the sounds of cheap guitars.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 11 2008, 12:31 PM
Instructor
If you really wanna upgrade, the bridge pickup would be a logical first step. Be aware about the pickup for the guitar, you should buy a pickup that you can later transfer to a better guitar when you buy one. Keep the old pickup if you ever sell it, you never know. It is relatively easy to change the pickups, so it's not too much hassle to return the stock pup, later on.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
May 11 2008, 12:55 PM
Instructor
Tell us what model is your guitar. Pacifica are good guitar, maybe a good set of new pick up will improve the already nice tone.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Praetorian
May 11 2008, 02:02 PM
QUOTE (Danilo Capezzuto @ May 11 2008, 07:55 AM) *
Tell us what model is your guitar. Pacifica are good guitar, maybe a good set of new pick up will improve the already nice tone.

It is the Pacifica 012. I think it is the base model Pacifica. It sounds nice and has pretty low action, but the bridge is killing me. I was at a guitar show yesterday and saw a lot of different bridges on some killer guitars! I got really jealous! I played a few Ibanez guitars that felt great to me. I'll post a picture of my bridge in a few minutes so you can see what I mean.

Here is the bridge with the offending adjustment screws

This is the guitar. I do like it...there are just some things I am not crazy about. I can tell that the pickups are kind of crappy. And the bridge problem...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
May 11 2008, 02:05 PM
GMC:er
I'd save for a better guitar. If you don't wanna then.......replace the bridge with a fender american strat one. I think that would work well. good luck smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
Creativity

+Quote Post
botoxfox
May 11 2008, 02:09 PM
QUOTE (Praetorian @ May 11 2008, 03:16 AM) *
The screws for adjusting the string height on the neck always dig into my hand when I am palm muting.
Thanks!

It's a bolt-on, right? You can solve that problem by shimming the neck, i. e. changing the angle of the neck by putting something like a strip of thin cardboard in the neck pocket.

This post has been edited by botoxfox: May 11 2008, 02:10 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
May 11 2008, 02:21 PM
Instructor
I think a new bridge could really save that guitar.
I'm not sure i would go through all the trouble of upgrading pickups etc though. It can quickly turn quite expensive.

But offcourse, if you really like how the guitar handles, then upgrading might be worth it.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Praetorian
May 11 2008, 02:32 PM
What bridge would you guys recommend?

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
May 11 2008, 02:34 PM
Yes, save for a new right as soon as it feels like your guitar is holding you back. Bridges, pickups, pots, and hardware can all be replaced.

Now what makes a good guitar is the quality of woodwork, construction, finishing, fretwork, and woods, all of witch cannot be changed easily or cheaply.

When many beginners first get into gear, and guitars, they think there is no difference between a $500 guitar and $1,000 guitar as long as the features are the same(well at least me, and many other guitar players I've talked to did). But quality is what makes a guitar play good, not features, and woods in cheap guitars and high end guitar are not equal, even if they are made out of the same type of wood! Expensive guitars have much better quality woods that resonate better. Of course there are exceptions, and you may get a good piece of wood on a cheap guitar, but odds are it still won't sound as good as a high end guitar. A well constructed guitar will also sound, and resonate better than a cheap one.

Not only does construction quality affect sound, but the most easy way to tell the quality is the playability of the guitar. Cheap guitars will have rough or sharp fretboard & fret edges. The frets won't be finished or cut as well, the bridge may also be bad, many many factors. The guitar just won't feel as smooth as a good one.

Now I'm not saying cheap guitars suck, they fit the needs of beginners well. And I'm not saying you need a ridiculously expensive guitar to sound or play good, many guitars under a grand play very well, the LTD deluxe series of guitars are notorious for playing very well for any price. But in the end a good guitar is nothing without a good player. wink.gif

Whoops, kinda rambled there, oh well, hope this helps at all.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Fran
May 11 2008, 08:41 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Probably not what you want to hear, but if I were you I'd save the money and invest it later on a new guitar.

But if you can't wait a new bridge looks like the 2nd best option!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Praetorian
May 11 2008, 09:15 PM
QUOTE (Fran @ May 11 2008, 03:41 PM) *
Probably not what you want to hear, but if I were you I'd save the money and invest it later on a new guitar.

But if you can't wait a new bridge looks like the 2nd best option!

I think you are probably right...I have been thinking about getting an Ibanez RG370DX. That seems to be exactly what I am looking for!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
May 11 2008, 09:17 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Praetorian @ May 11 2008, 09:15 PM) *
I think you are probably right...I have been thinking about getting an Ibanez RG370DX. That seems to be exactly what I am looking for!

A great guitar on a budget! Go for it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 11 2008, 09:33 PM
Instructor
i think to change only the pickups and to do some fixing with long screw in the briedge

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 11 2008, 10:20 PM
Instructor
Well after seeing that guitar, I definitely recommend saving for the Ibanez and not continuing with the upgrade. If you change the bridge pup, and the bridge it can cost you a lot, more than the guitars actual cost, so try to buy a quality crafted one.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 11 2008, 10:27 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
If you really feel that the guitar is "the one" you should consider upgrade..Otherwise save cash for a new one wink.gif
But if you really need something to buy maybe consider some cool stomp box effects etc smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: May 11 2008, 10:27 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Fran
May 11 2008, 11:26 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (Praetorian @ May 11 2008, 10:15 PM) *

Then go for it, it's better to wait a bit longer with what you have and you will end up with a much better guitar this way.
There's no point spending too much money on a starter guitar anyway, you can't make it good no matter what you do.

And maybe do some more searching or try different guitars at local shops in the meantime. Half the fun of getting new gear is actually trying stuff and doing some research wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
May 12 2008, 04:26 AM
QUOTE (Praetorian @ May 11 2008, 09:15 PM) *

That seems like a good upgrade. smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:03 AM