Using A Midi Controller, clueless
Ctodd
Jul 15 2009, 12:45 AM
GMC:er
A few general questions...

I have no Idea how midi controllers work...

I've read that some controllers (keyboards) have a midi out/in and some use USB.
Is there a fundamental difference between these two?
If it doesnt have USB, will I be able to use it with my computer? I don't have any midi ports on my computer... that I know of...

Once I do get it hooked up (physically) to my computer, how do I start "using" it?
I've worked with MIDI stuff a bit, but only dragging and "dropping" the notes in Reaper, never with a controller.

I'm trying to use this program that I got, its a free and downloadable program that lets you use your regular computer keyboard as a midi controller.

I've messed around with it a little bit but couldn't get it to make any sounds, or be recognized by Reaper.

I see some Midi device settings in Reaper, and I've messed around with them, but cant figure it out.

can anyway help?

thanks!

-chris

EDIT: in messing around with reaper, I'm seeing a lot of options for setting MIDI IN and MIDI OUT. I dont know what these mean, but I'm saying it here just so you have an appropriate understanding of how little I understand this...

why oh why can't it just be as simple as plug n' play laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ctodd: Jul 15 2009, 01:09 AM

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:41 PM