3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Half Stack
beebo
Sep 15 2008, 11:59 PM
GMC:er
hey guys, laugh.gif
long time no talk haha
anyway i'll have about 500-600-700 dollars around december and i think i wanna get a marshall halfstack.
just a 100 wat cuz that's about all i can afford.

any help on maybe what u guys think i shud or shouldnt do. tongue.gif ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Sep 16 2008, 12:01 AM
$700 USDs for a head and cab? If you mean american currency you're going to get the lowest of the low Marshall, I'd either save more or get a more affordable combo....

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 16 2008, 12:09 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hmm you want to buy a head + cab ? I don't know if you can afford a good quality halfstack for that money...Maybe a combo marshall amp ?

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Sep 16 2008, 12:11 AM
Learning Tone Master
Maybe you get a Mg series head (solid state) head with a low end cab for 700$ (used) but for a tube head with a great cab you have to pay at least 2000$ (which I would recommend over a solidstae Marshall)

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 16 2008, 08:54 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (beebo @ Sep 16 2008, 12:59 AM) *

What does that mean? Yeah sure the handwired lower watt amps can be a little more expensive than a 100 watt amp but other than that you'd have to pay quite a bit, unless you aim for the MG.

The MG might be a good idea. It's maintenance free. A tube head (that will sound a lot, A LOT, better) will require some more love and care and new tubes now and then.
Perhaps you can pick up a Marshall Mode Four off of eBay cheap. While MG's aim is the novice the Mode four were to please the experienced. I think that went wrong and tube amp dudes who bought it wanted to go back to tubes since they didn't think Mode Four lived up to it. I belive a Mode Four is difficult to sell and therefore cheap.

So rather a Mode Four + cab but if you can't get one the MG100 half stacks should fit your budget.

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 16 2008, 12:20 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
700 $ for a half stack really might not be enough money. I would also suggest saving some more cash and going for a good amp/cab combination then.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 16 2008, 10:10 PM
Instructor
I agree, 700$ isn't gonna cut it even for some cheap tube head+cab like Bugera, let alone Marshall...

MG series is good as a 100W halfstack, they have a lot of headroom which is the only good thing. But I would really recommend that you consider your decision.

I have a proposition, you can buy for that money a sort of "mini version" of the halfstack. Get a AVT100 combo

, and extension cab for that amp

(doesn't need to be this cab, but similar)
You will then have 1 speaker in a combo, and 1 speaker cab that is bellow the combo + you have ECC83 in the preamp, that will warm-up the sound a bit, so it doesn't sound too dull. This is the best you can get with Marshall for that much of a budget IMHO.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Sep 16 2008, 10:13 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
beebo
Sep 16 2008, 11:32 PM
huh.gifI AM SO CONFUSED!!!!! huh.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 16 2008, 11:53 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Consensus - as I read it and what I'd also say - is that you don't have enough cash to buy a new tube/valve half stack. You could either - and apologies as I'm over simplifying:

a) buy a 2nd hand one. Possible issue here is repairs.

cool.gif get something that isn't Marshall - possible quality/sound issues.

c) get a solid state head amp - possible sound issues.

d) get a combo - possible upgrade issues.

e) Save up more cash and get a Marshall half stack.

For a) you may get a really good bargain for your money. You may however get a real lemon. If you go this route I'd suggest getting any 2nd hand amp checked out by a tech before you buy as a minimum unless you are confident enough to spot a lemon.

cool.gif You say you want a Marshall and to some extent you have to pay the price. A cheaper 'Marshall clone' might work for you but you'd really need to check it out next to the 'real thing' to be sure.

c) A solid state head - rather like cool.gif might work but you need to check it out. One advantage is that you could always keep the speaker cab and just replace the amp head at some future point. You'll probably lose money overall.

d) Combos tend to be cheaper than the equivalent head/stack but when you come to upgrade you have to replace the lot.

e) Really a question of how long you want to wait and how much you want to spend...

What I would suggest is to try out a Marshall half stack if you can and then decide how much you really want it or if you can compromise. Compromise is cool.gif, c), d). No, or little, compromise is a) or e).

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 17 2008, 02:27 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (beebo @ Sep 17 2008, 12:32 AM) *
huh.gifI AM SO CONFUSED!!!!! huh.gif

Why are you confused mate? We told you the stuff you need to know. If you can tell us what specifically is confusing you, maybe we can clarify or simplify things. Now, I love Marshalls and played a bunch of them (mostly because there's not much of a choice where I live), and all I can say is that 700 green bills isn't enough for a decent Marshall half stack. If you wanna get a "Marshall halfstack" just because of the looks, go for the MG version. MG is not made in England, that's why they are so cheap. Their quality isn't the best, and sound is the worst of all Marshall halfstacks. Also if you need it for your bedroom, 4x12 is a lot, and not needed. 2x12 is a golden middle, so again, I recommend a "mini" halfstack, consisting of AVT combo and extension 1x12 cab, or AVT150 head+2x12 cab, or save the money and buy a decent tube head.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Sep 17 2008, 02:46 AM
Learning Tone Master
Out of pure curiousity Ivan, I was wondering what you'd consider to be the decent tube head you mention? Only because there are so many out there, I was wondering what you'd say are the really decent marshall heads? I know of the JCM's, TSL's, Plexi's, Anniversery's, DSL's just by looking at ebay but would have no idea what the difference in quality is!

I realise this question could take hours to explain in detail, but just interested in the basics. Point me in the right direction my friend smile.gif

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Sep 17 2008, 03:00 AM
Learning Tone Master
Plexi and JTM models - early models with the Jimi Hendrix style sound
Jcm series - Rock and Metal classic from the 80's with Guns N Roses sound
Tsl/Dsl - Super Lead series with High gain output
Anniversary - Reissue of a classic Marshall Head
JVM - Newest series with a vast variety of tones
Avt - Hybrid amps
Mg - Solid State amps

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Sep 17 2008, 03:01 AM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks! Just what I needed smile.gif

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 17 2008, 11:15 AM
Instructor
Thanks Zakk smile.gif Here are some of my views based on your layout:

Plexi (JMP) and JTM models - vintage marshall sound of the 60ties - the 1st best

Jcm series - classic rock marshall sound. jcm800 series 80ties, jcm900 series 90ties. 900 series starting to use diode clipping and don't sound as good as jcm 800. jcm 800 is the best sounding main lineup series next to JMP/JTM.

Tsl/Dsl - JCM 2000 series with lot of features, 3/2 channels - good, but not the best, packed with features is a +, sound is not as clear and defined as with JCM and JMP/JTM. They did cut corners on these series the most.

Anniversary - reissue of the best amps - top of the line, very expensive, usually point to point hand wired.

JVM - improved jcm2000 series. Serving a transition/ jcm 2000 upgrade series until the 2010 line up arives. slightly better in overall quality than jcm2000 series, and a bit modern looking.

Avt - one valve in preamp. IMO great bang for buck series. Avoid AVT150head, and go for combos if they suit you, they are the best of the bunch.

Mg - solid state, doesn't come from England factory at all - avoid in general if possible. If you must buy it, go for nothing less then 100W.

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Sep 17 2008, 11:33 AM
I have an '81 JCM800 and it sounds incredible. Crank it up at gigs and play rock and metal and it sounds like the world is about to end biggrin.gif Play it clean and it is one of the only Marshall Amps that actually has a pretty good clean sound smile.gif It's brilliant biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 17 2008, 11:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Sep 17 2008, 12:33 PM) *
I have an '81 JCM800 and it sounds incredible. Crank it up at gigs and play rock and metal and it sounds like the world is about to end biggrin.gif Play it clean and it is one of the only Marshall Amps that actually has a pretty good clean sound smile.gif It's brilliant biggrin.gif

Correction, TSL601 is arguably the amp that also has the best clean sound cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Sep 17 2008, 11:58 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 17 2008, 11:54 AM) *
Correction, TSL601 is arguably the amp that also has the best clean sound cool.gif

I don't believe I have played one of those. I will have to try one out smile.gif

Although I'd buy a Fender '65 Twin Reverb if I wanted an awesome clean sound smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 17 2008, 12:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Sep 17 2008, 12:58 PM) *
Although I'd buy a Fender '65 Twin Reverb if I wanted an awesome clean sound smile.gif

Aaah teh good ol' Twin, nothing beats the clean on those smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sidewas lightnin...
Sep 18 2008, 08:51 PM
QUOTE (beebo @ Sep 15 2008, 06:59 PM) *
hey guys, laugh.gif
long time no talk haha
anyway i'll have about 500-600-700 dollars around december and i think i wanna get a marshall halfstack.

any help on maybe what u guys think i shud or shouldnt do. tongue.gif ?

I think you should get a tad more money and buy a peavey. They make really cheap >>>TUBE<<< Half stacks you can get for the same price as a crappy transistor marshall. Look at the valveking and windsor.

--------------------
I spelled my username wrong...I didn't even think that was possible!

Look at the topic for my guitar...
Finished Guitar Build

Gear:
Homemade strat (You still need to look at its topic!)
Squier strat (probably going to get rid of it and get another guitar instead) :)
Line 6 spider amp (not actually used for anything, just acts as a speaker)
Digitech Gnx2 (kind of old, but cheap, and sounds amazing!)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 18 2008, 08:58 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (sidewas lightning @ Sep 18 2008, 09:51 PM) *
I think you should get a tad more money and buy a peavey. They make really cheap >>>TUBE<<< Half stacks you can get for the same price as a crappy transistor marshall. Look at the valveking and windsor.

Yep, tubeamps FTW.

But, just so that beboo is aware that a tube amp needs mainenance and takes a mainenance cost.
New tubes frequently (depending on how fast you burn em, could take years) and needs to be handled with care, if one break prematurely (and they can if you move the amp around especially when tubes are warm) you have to get a full set of new ones which can cost you.
Just an example.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:57 PM