2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Snow
Skatastic
Feb 4 2009, 02:19 PM
GMC:er
It's been snowing here in England recently, that's a fairly big thing as it only happens like once a year. The thing is, its like less than an inch and schools have been closed and things like that. So i was wondering what it's like in places wheres there's snow all the time. Oh and do you do things like snowball fights and sledging?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Now Learning-
Cliffs of Dover- Eric Johnson
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
superize
Feb 4 2009, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
And here we have had snow since november

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Feb 4 2009, 02:23 PM
Instructor
It doesn't snow much here in Tennessee, but I was in Colorado for Christmas where there was TONS of snow.
Roads were open and no business closed.
I guess they are just used to it. I love snow, it's so awesome!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Feb 4 2009, 02:25 PM
I live in Long Island, NY - USA - we generally don't get that much snow because ocean temperatures keep the air temp above freezing. This winter has been quite different though, we consistently have 3 or 4inches of snow! It's getting old really fast - I'm a summer person wink.gif

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 4 2009, 02:26 PM
We had power cuts by us in UK and it was pretty bad. The reason why schools and busineses close in the UK is that where there is lots of snow they tend to have cars that can deal with the snow whereas in UK we just don't. We nearly skidded off the road on the way to work so the next day when it was worse we had to stay at home for safety.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Feb 4 2009, 02:30 PM
Instructor
Really strange that the UK stopped everything because of 15cm of snow. No transport, no school, no going to work !?!? They are not prepared for that but they should really think of these things. 15 cm of snow is about nothing in the rest of Europe.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Feb 4 2009, 02:31 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
well, in places of Kent (UK) there was up to 13 inches of snow, we had about 3-4 inches fall where I live, didnt stop me from getting to work etc but here in the UK we do seem to grind to a sudden halt as soon as we get some snow.

I guess as we only really get hit hard once every 10 years or so the councils are just not geared up for it if its a bit heavier than the usual light sprinkling, the snow in general that we do maybe get once a year barely lasts the same day that it falls smile.gif

we`re due some more apparently Thursday and friday, be interesting to see if we grind to a halt again like we did Monday or if the gritters are out a little more often than once in a couple of days!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Crazyfret
Feb 4 2009, 02:32 PM
Learning Roadie
I must admit I'm really irritated how this country (UK) is incapable of handling extreme weather. An inch of snow and we are paralysed ohmy.gif . I find it pathetic that schools are closed because of this, I suppose shows the over reliance of using cars and children going to schools outside their village / district because of 'performance' school leauge tables mad.gif . I mean, my parents tell me tales when they where kids of really heavy snow falls and 10ft drifts and yet still managed to go to school. The snow we get now is nowhere near like as heavy. As a nation we are becomming soft!

I see all the other countries coped fairly well with it all and without much fuss.

Last year it was torrential rain that paralysed the country and we are not unacustomed to rain are we?

Rant over wink.gif

This post has been edited by Crazyfret: Feb 4 2009, 02:32 PM

--------------------
"I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morecambe

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 4 2009, 02:34 PM
Plus it's an excuse to have the day off work tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
Skatastic
Feb 4 2009, 02:35 PM
Yup more tomorow, supposedly worse. An added bonus is i have work on friday and so as no customers will be there, i will get paid for doing nothing which is always nice. Heh maybe britain just needs to toughen up. wink.gif

--------------------
Now Learning-
Cliffs of Dover- Eric Johnson

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 4 2009, 02:37 PM
As long as we don't have a power cut again. I'm a bit worried about the snow as it makes things really difficult for me. I'd go to work but to travel 30 miles in the snow is a bit different to walking to my job.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Feb 4 2009, 03:10 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Crazyfret @ Feb 4 2009, 02:32 PM) *
.... I mean, my parents tell me tales when they where kids of really heavy snow falls and 10ft drifts and yet still managed to go to school. The snow we get now is nowhere near like as heavy. As a nation we are becomming soft!

Eeee when I were a lad we had real snow not this pathetic talcum powder you young whipper snappers call snow. It were so cold that your breath would freeze in your lungs and you had to smoke 20 woodbines just to thaw them out. Polar bears moved up to the Artic just to get some warmth. I used to sit with the fridge door open warming my hands before I could play guitar. Them were the days - you lot have got it so easy now!

wink.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Crazyfret
Feb 4 2009, 03:17 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Feb 4 2009, 02:10 PM) *
Eeee when I were a lad we had real snow not this pathetic talcum powder you young whipper snappers call snow. It were so cold that your breath would freeze in your lungs and you had to smoke 20 woodbines just to thaw them out. Polar bears moved up to the Artic just to get some warmth. I used to sit with the fridge door open warming my hands before I could play guitar. Them were the days - you lot have got it so easy now!

wink.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif so true

must admit I do sound like that Monty Python sketch the The Four Yorkshiremen

This post has been edited by Crazyfret: Feb 4 2009, 04:48 PM

--------------------
"I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morecambe

+Quote Post
Crazyfret
Feb 4 2009, 04:27 PM
Learning Roadie
The Giant Snowball

check the loon out at 0:50 laugh.gif

I've forgot how to post youtube clips dry.gif

This post has been edited by Crazyfret: Feb 4 2009, 04:43 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Feb 4 2009, 04:38 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Crazyfret @ Feb 4 2009, 03:17 PM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif so true

must admit I do sound like that Monty Python sketch the The Four Yorkshiremen

Great sketch so there's lots of worse things to sound like mate biggrin.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Feb 4 2009, 06:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 4 2009, 03:30 PM) *
Really strange that the UK stopped everything because of 15cm of snow. No transport, no school, no going to work !?!? They are not prepared for that but they should really think of these things. 15 cm of snow is about nothing in the rest of Europe.

Yeah, it's not even a very big thing here in Finland if we get that much snow, we are so used to it. I can't remember that any school here had to be closed due to snow.

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Feb 4 2009, 07:50 PM
Jazz Instructor
We had a bit of snow this winter in Belgrade, but it was really cold.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 4 2009, 08:49 PM
Instructor
Here in Belgrade it is I think quite opposite situation. There's a law that tells when temperature falls bellow or above certain point, people can go out of work, and it happened that they actually "lied" about the temperature so the people could continue working. So I think if a little snow falls, and you can go out of work seems like a good deal to me.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Feb 5 2009, 10:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Feb 4 2009, 09:49 PM) *
Here in Belgrade it is I think quite opposite situation. There's a law that tells when temperature falls bellow or above certain point, people can go out of work, and it happened that they actually "lied" about the temperature so the people could continue working. So I think if a little snow falls, and you can go out of work seems like a good deal to me.

Wow, they lied!? was there like a big scandal or something after that?

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
superize
Feb 5 2009, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I has been snowing all day here and it has no intention to stop

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:24 PM