3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
So I Am Playing My First Real Gig On Thursday..., any tipps?
ZakkWylde
May 11 2010, 07:59 PM
Learning Tone Master
I have already played in front of an audience - Blues Jams in bars or at school and stuff like that - but never a real show...

On thursday my Metal band is the opening band for three other bands from the area in a medium sized club for a couple of hundred viewers. Any wise words, tipps or does and don'ts?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
May 11 2010, 08:02 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Oh just the usual - stay calm, have fun and enjoy the experience!

Also a few beers has never hurt me, before, during or after is up to you wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
May 11 2010, 08:17 PM
Instructor
get a few drinks before, BUT don't get a lot of drinks smile.gif
make the soundcheck as early as you can, and if possible try to be friends with the sound engineer biggrin.gif

have a lot of fun onstage, 0% fear, people can smell fear, and if you screw it up blame the alcohol wink.gif, please seems to love rockstars.

This post has been edited by Adrian Figallo: May 11 2010, 08:17 PM

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Staffy
May 11 2010, 08:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
Bring a spare guitar... in tune!!! smile.gif
Communicate with the audience, play with attitude and be sure to enjoy every second of it - its really why we are practicing!!!
Good luck bro!!!

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
May 11 2010, 08:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ May 11 2010, 02:27 PM) *
Bring a spare guitar... in tune!!! smile.gif

how could i forget this biggrin.gif

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 11 2010, 08:30 PM
Learning Rock Star
You're going to video record the show for us aren't you? smile.gif

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 11 2010, 08:36 PM
Learning Tone Master
Yes I will, propably with two cameras - one fixed and one moving arround^^

And ofcourse I have a spare guitar along with spare picks, strings, straps, batteries (for the EMGs) and so on...

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: May 11 2010, 08:37 PM

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 11 2010, 08:46 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Just go and have fun on the gig. Good thing would be to have a nice stage attitude and to make a connection with an audience during the performance and in between the songs. Just make sure you look at people in front rows and interact smile.gif))

Have fun at the show, looking forward to see the videos! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Fre
May 11 2010, 08:50 PM
Learning Rock Star
Have fun and good luck!

+Quote Post
Fran
May 11 2010, 09:35 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Have a blast Zakk, hope you can share some vids afterwards! smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
stratman79
May 11 2010, 10:26 PM
Learning Rock Star
Spare lead and strap as bass player will no doubt forget it. (guitar stand)

We went on a tour round the north of England on the first date the other guitarist had forgotten his strap.

2 bits of duct tape stuck sticky side togeather, pierce the stap button hole with a screwdriver and vola was so good didn't bother to buy one in the next city!!!

+Quote Post
sted
May 12 2010, 09:10 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (stratman79 @ May 11 2010, 10:26 PM) *
Spare lead and strap as bass player will no doubt forget it. (guitar stand)

We went on a tour round the north of England on the first date the other guitarist had forgotten his strap.

2 bits of duct tape stuck sticky side togeather, pierce the stap button hole with a screwdriver and vola was so good didn't bother to buy one in the next city!!!

haha! Rock n roll!

Dont play between songs, interract with the audience, get your soundcheck done and dont fiddle with it, check your tuning between every song, make sure youre loud enough whn the hal/club is full of people as well as when its empty!

I had a gig last week and everything that could have gone wrong did! My Mesa started to try and switch channels on its own, the amps were picking up the local police radio, I plugged the fx loop in backwards so when i hit the footswitch it muted the whole rig and I forgot the words to two songs and made something up. laugh.gif
We still got loads of compliments afterards though, go figure!

+Quote Post
zen
May 12 2010, 09:36 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Congrats on the first gig..

- Remember to Breathe .. Even the best of the best still get butterflies that go away after the first song.
- Start with your simplest yet powerful song to get a feel of the environment and gain some quick confidence.
- Don't expect a moshpit. Expect people to just stand and watch/understand/evaluate your band & performance.
But if you do get a few headbangers and a mosh going, play for them, interact with them, make them feel special.
- Of course, you know how important Soundcheck is.. your band should have your own audio engineer, if possible.. coz he would know how to best mix each one of your instruments.. even if the soundcheck chews up a few more mins, let it be. It is better to play a few songs with good sound, than play an entire set with horrible sound.
- Have fun ...be aggressive ... tear the place apart !! \m/

... my 23.17 cents

This post has been edited by zen: May 12 2010, 09:40 AM

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 12 2010, 11:43 AM
Learning Tone Master
We get 40 minutes for the soundcheck and if it should take longer, there is still some time left before we have to play. ofcourse we are the last ones to do our soundcheck as we are the first ones to play...

We are starting off with one of our best and catchiest songs (I especially wrote this one to draw the crowd in^^)

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 12 2010, 01:06 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ May 11 2010, 07:59 PM) *
I have already played in front of an audience - Blues Jams in bars or at school and stuff like that - but never a real show...

On thursday my Metal band is the opening band for three other bands from the area in a medium sized club for a couple of hundred viewers. Any wise words, tipps or does and don'ts?

Don't drink -Be 100 %- Start off with something the crowd can get envolved in- and once the crowd starts yellin-Watch your adrenalen so you don't rush through things
you want to be 100% because the other bands will be drinkin and you want to be the best band there

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
May 12 2010, 04:11 PM
Instructor
- Make sure your setup sounds the way you like it independently of anything having to do with the organization. If you can sound check, great! Be objective and change anything that needs to be changed, because one thing is to setup your gear at home and another on stage, and take your time despite what people say,

- Don't panic if something goes wrong, remember it's only a short lived moment so enjoy the most out of it

- Don't depend on people's response to pump up your state, just be having fun on your own independently of people' cheering or support, if they do, great! but don't react to that too much either, keep your own cool, as they say. If they don't it doesn't matter,

* I've been in those situations hence the advice,

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
May 13 2010, 04:28 PM
Instructor
just one thing! kill them all! attitude at its 100% and sync your head-bangings with your partners. give them a show to remember! \m/

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 14 2010, 01:08 AM
Instructor
Do something crazy, jump around, move around, watch the chicks in the front row, smile, strike a pose, play good biggrin.gif

PS yeah, that's right, playing good is least important, most of the audience don't care about mistakes anyway, they only look the bigger picture, so as long as you are keeping mistakes small you can do whatever you want and it will look great smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 14 2010, 01:45 AM
Learning Tone Master
Played the gig, messed stuff up but overall we tore down walls^^
I will post a thread with videos when I get them!

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
May 14 2010, 02:28 AM
Instructor
great!!!

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:49 AM