Ngd, I finally join the Ibanez RG club
PosterBoy
Nov 9 2017, 10:35 AM
Learning Roadie
As many of you know on and off for years I've said I'm selling something or saving for an RG.

Well that day has finally come. Todd was extremely helpful in his advice on this purchases as was a TGP member who knew of the seller and could somewhat vouch for him.
A 2001 RG770FM is in my possession. This was available only in the Japan market and rumour says it has the left over JPM necks.

It's in great condition for a 16 year old guitar with just a little player wear (the odd chip and little dent)

The pickups are the Ibanez Quantums which are ceramic, so I'll have to see how I like them.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Nov 9 2017, 10:36 AM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 9 2017, 10:58 AM
GMC Founder
Awesome man - looks beautiful!

I am seriously considering swapping pickups in my RG - as those are the main reason I haven't given it as much playing time as I usually do.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 9 2017, 04:16 PM
GMC:er
A beauty! super congrats smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Nov 9 2017, 04:57 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Oh man that looks really nice! Congrats PB! I am glad everything worked out for you on that deal. How does it feel in your hands?

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 9 2017, 06:00 PM
Learning Roadie
Considering my Tyler is a superstrat these two guitars are the opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of feel. The Tyler has a big chunky neck and is like the hot rodded muscle car of the super strat world, the RG is the modern sleek super car. They both perform really well but give you a completely different ride.

I've just taken a journey up into the realms above the 12 fret, the access up there is incredible!!!

I'll take a picture of the neck profiles side by side later to show the difference

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Nov 9 2017, 06:11 PM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 10 2017, 04:01 AM
GMC:er
Super Congrats! Nice Ibby!! smile.gif That's from back when they were making amazing guitars non stop. These days you have to go to the top of the range and the cost for a new MIJ prestige is just INSANE imho. So finding a solid used MIJ ibby/prestige just works out a bit more financially feasible smile.gif It's part of the reason that these guitars go for the dollar value they do even after 16 years. They are still amazing guitars and so are still highly sought after. They play like a custom build, even though they are "off the rack". Back in the day, all the MIJ necks were finished, one by one, by hand, in Japan by skilled luthiers. As God intended smile.gif

Keep the original pickups in a box or something in case you need them again, on the off chance you get a crazy good offer on this guitar. I've had folks offer me insane amounts of money for some of my MIJ guitars like my PGM30 which I just had to say yes to as it was just crazy not to sell it for what was offered. Some folks will pay anything smile.gif

Get a nice set of Alnico 5 or Alnico 8 mag pickups for her. Dimarzio makes such pickups and it will still look "factory" mint. There is a pickup called THE BREED with alnico mags and the ANDY TIMMONS pickups also alnico and 16k resistance. There are wads of youtube vids about them. smile.gif

Some folks go for BKP which are killer pickups, but just don't say Dimarzio on them, which is what most high end Ibanez guitars from the period came with so it doesn't look stock anymore, but some folks really don't care so it's down to you in the end smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 9 2017, 05:35 AM) *
As many of you know on and off for years I've said I'm selling something or saving for an RG.

Well that day has finally come. Todd was extremely helpful in his advice on this purchases as was a TGP member who knew of the seller and could somewhat vouch for him.
A 2001 RG770FM is in my possession. This was available only in the Japan market and rumour says it has the left over JPM necks.

It's in great condition for a 16 year old guitar with just a little player wear (the odd chip and little dent)

The pickups are the Ibanez Quantums which are ceramic, so I'll have to see how I like them.

Yup!! That's where the "Magic" happens smile.gif Those necks are just wonderful. They are made for players and for doing solos. It can be tough to go back to other axes sometimes as they start to feel like they are fighting against you sometimes. I let my guitar collection swell past a dozen instruments til I realized I only played 3 of them. My RG560, RG7620 and RG3570z. So I sold the rest smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 9 2017, 01:00 PM) *
Considering my Tyler is a superstrat these two guitars are the opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of feel. The Tyler has a big chunky neck and is like the hot rodded muscle car of the super strat world, the RG is the modern sleek super car. They both perform really well but give you a completely different ride.

I've just taken a journey up into the realms above the 12 fret, the access up there is incredible!!!

I'll take a picture of the neck profiles side by side later to show the difference

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:36 AM