Battery Powered Valve Amps?
richardb
Feb 3 2012, 12:33 AM
GMC:er
Are there any battery powered valve guitar amps (with built in loudspeaker)? mellow.gif

if there are, whats the cheapest one?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
Sinisa Cekic
Feb 3 2012, 12:50 AM
Instructor
Must be a Valve? For street gig ? smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Feb 3 2012, 03:36 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (richardb @ Feb 2 2012, 11:33 PM) *
Are there any battery powered valve guitar amps (with built in loudspeaker)? mellow.gif

if there are, whats the cheapest one?

I tried Crate Taxi before it has a rechargeable battery and you can plug in your mp3 player in it!
I wasn't too crazy about it because if you are using distortion it is overpowering the amp, but if you are not planning on being too loud give it a try!

+Quote Post
richardb
Feb 3 2012, 09:28 PM
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Feb 2 2012, 11:50 PM) *
Must be a Valve? For street gig ? smile.gif

listening at a guitar shop their valve amps sounded much better than the solid state,
but their battery amps were all solid state mellow.gif

if I can buy a valve based battery amp then I can get the best of both worlds,
the portability of a battery amp and the quality of valves. biggrin.gif

otherwise I would have to buy 2 amps to get both quality and portability,
but that would be expensive

QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Feb 3 2012, 02:36 AM) *
I tried Crate Taxi before it has a rechargeable battery and you can plug in your mp3 player in it!
I wasn't too crazy about it because if you are using distortion it is overpowering the amp, but if you are not planning on being too loud give it a try!

not excessively loud, ie not deafeningly loud, but I am considering the idea of busking,

it would need to be loud enough to attract attention, but not so loud that the police move in! tongue.gif

provided its not overpowering, is the Crate Taxi sound of good quality?

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Feb 3 2012, 10:50 PM
Instructor
Maybe this will help you to get a better picture smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
richardb
Feb 4 2012, 08:41 PM
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Feb 3 2012, 09:50 PM) *
Maybe this will help you to get a better picture smile.gif

Is there more than one crate taxi amp?

I went to yet another guitar shop today and they said its not a valve amp,
can you find a URL which verifies that it is a valve amp?

also are you sure its for electric guitar?

the guy in the video is using an electric guitar, but the following webpage
at the Crate website says its for acoustic:

http://www.crateamps.com/products/findex.php?catID=1

This post has been edited by richardb: Feb 4 2012, 08:51 PM

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Feb 5 2012, 12:32 AM
Instructor
Look, valves demands constant voltage! Bad sound of Valve amp is manifested through a valves,in the first place! The batteries can quickly spend, what will be the sound after half an hour? If you want a mobile amplifier then take solid state wink.gif !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Feb 5 2012, 12:53 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (richardb @ Feb 3 2012, 08:28 PM) *
listening at a guitar shop their valve amps sounded much better than the solid state,
but their battery amps were all solid state mellow.gif

if I can buy a valve based battery amp then I can get the best of both worlds,
the portability of a battery amp and the quality of valves. biggrin.gif

otherwise I would have to buy 2 amps to get both quality and portability,
but that would be expensive

not excessively loud, ie not deafeningly loud, but I am considering the idea of busking,

it would need to be loud enough to attract attention, but not so loud that the police move in! tongue.gif

provided its not overpowering, is the Crate Taxi sound of good quality?

If you are planning to start basking consider using a car battery and convertor you will get better results

+Quote Post
richardb
Feb 5 2012, 10:40 PM
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Feb 4 2012, 11:32 PM) *
Look, valves demands constant voltage! Bad sound of Valve amp is manifested through a valves,in the first place! The batteries can quickly spend, what will be the sound after half an hour? If you want a mobile amplifier then take solid state wink.gif !

the shop had Cube Street by Roland for 215 quid with 4 year warranty,

it looked good, but it used ordinary batteries,

is that any good?

its a bit expensive, I dont want to spend so much money in a hurry, another shop had
other amps for about 100 quid and another one for about 50 quid,

with the current weather it may be some time before I could use such outdoors! biggrin.gif

if the batteries only last half an hour that may be ok if the sound quality is a lot better as I could make money faster tongue.gif

I have seen some buskers use electric power, the guy somehow accessed a power supply from the street,
but maybe you need permission from the authorities to use these.

This post has been edited by richardb: Feb 5 2012, 10:50 PM

+Quote Post
ygro
Feb 5 2012, 11:00 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I have a roland microcube... symply amazing and sounds loud.... it´s a great amp... baterries for 20 hous!!!! six batteries are neccesary but... 20 hours!!!!!

and I use it for recors all my lessons... you can plug mp3, direct out, mic in, etc... great amp... I know it serve me years... sure!!!

+Quote Post
richardb
Feb 6 2012, 11:25 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Feb 4 2012, 11:53 PM) *
If you are planning to start basking consider using a car battery and convertor you will get better results

what categories of amp can this be used with?

can you give a URL to show what you mean by a converter?

QUOTE (ygro @ Feb 5 2012, 10:00 PM) *
I have a roland microcube... symply amazing and sounds loud.... it´s a great amp... baterries for 20 hous!!!! six batteries are neccesary but... 20 hours!!!!!

and I use it for recors all my lessons... you can plug mp3, direct out, mic in, etc... great amp... I know it serve me years... sure!!!

this is different from the Roland Cube Street?

I revisited the shop again today before reading your reply, the Roland Cube Street uses 6 x 1.5V AA batteries, it seems unbelievable
that you can power a guitar amp with 6 AA batteries!

But they had a lot of different Roland's, and some were for 85 quid which is a lot cheaper than the Roland Cube Street.

The Cube Street has I think 2 loudspeakers, and they had some with 4 loudspeakers.

They have a huge amount of amp products, eg by Peavey, Orange, Fender (eg Superchamp) and others, with guitars also they have products going up to about 2500 quid!

As regards mains amps they had eg Vox Night Train which is amp only,

They also had some gigantic amps, all sizes eg suitcase size and sizes a lot bigger than that, and some of these not too expensive,
there were also recording studio equipment. They had a wierd guitar by yamaha called "silent guitar" which has amp built into the
guitar, the guitar mainly consists of the neck with just the outline of the rest, with the amp built into the base of the neck.

My priorities are firstly the sound quality for undistorted sound ie clarity for guitar notes without effects,
then if the amp can do special effects eg chorus. Loudness is not so important as I cannot really play
the amp too loudly as I live in a city and it would annoy the neighbours and for busking someone could complain
if its too loud.

QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Feb 4 2012, 11:32 PM) *

if the amp is used less loudly how does that affect the battery time?

if a battery lasts 30 minutes, then if you used 2 batteries in parallel that would last 1 hour and
4 would last 2 hours. ie a valve amp could be made to last as long as was wanted by making the
battery big enough. If it was manufactured to last 4 times as long then probably it would take 4 times as long
to charge,

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Feb 6 2012, 11:35 PM
Instructor
CODE
if the amp is used less loudly how does that affect the battery time?

if a battery lasts 30 minutes, then if you used 2 batteries in parallel that would last 1 hour and
4 would last 2 hours. ie a valve amp could be made to last as long as was wanted by making the
battery big enough. If it was manufactured to last 4 times as long then probably it would take 4 times as long
to charge,

I don't know exactly, I only gave an example.They last longer than that, certainly smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:39 PM