Bolt On Or Thru Body
ibanezkiller
Jul 17 2007, 01:36 AM
GMC:er
I have played a bolt on neck and a thru body neck but i never noticed a big difference... any one have an opinion they care to share? is'nt there a 3rd kind also?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 17 2007, 02:04 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Hi Ibanezkiller,
As far as I know thru necks are supposed to provide some more sustain - not sure if that is only true for unamplified though. I also find the heel is a bit more comfortable - I'm not a fan of the plate on most bolt ons (not including those with recessed plates/screws) - particularly for stretches between 14-24th fret.

Cheers,
Tony

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Jul 17 2007, 02:20 AM
yeah i was looking at some ibanez guitars and some were bolt on but i did not even notice that untill i turned it over

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 17 2007, 02:24 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (ibanezkiller @ Jul 16 2007, 06:36 PM) *
I have played a bolt on neck and a thru body neck but i never noticed a big difference... any one have an opinion they care to share? is'nt there a 3rd kind also?

Well there's bolt on, set-in and through. Through means its one piece of wood, set in means it's been glued into the body. I know that on many laminate top guitars (like a mahogany body with a maple top or something) the laminate holding them together is actually stronger than what it would be if it was one piece of wood, so that might be the case for set-in necks as well.

I prefer bolt on necks myself though.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Jul 17 2007, 02:25 AM
interesting

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Jul 17 2007, 02:49 AM
This is a good topic man smile.gif
There is plus and negitives to them both.I'll start with a set neck.Alot of people say you get better sustain and tone from a set neck,my opinion they come on better quality guitars most of the time.Your less likley to see a chepo with a set neck.Many les paul models are on a set neck.So i feel it does improve the value but the sound to be honest i cant tell a differnce.The bad thing about this type of neck is if you crach or break your neck your screwed ohmy.gif Unless your willing to send to a high end custom repair shop and unless its a vintage or priceless to you it's not worth putting the money in.A bolt on neck the way to go in my opinion even though some feel you get better sustain from the set version.If you ever have a problem with your neck on this type it can be replaced and your not stuck with a guitar body thats worthless.Also it's cool to be able to have the option of purchasing different types of necks and more convient to work on having the option of taking it off body to do repairs.So overall im a bolt on neck guy. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by shredmandan: Jul 17 2007, 02:51 AM

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 17 2007, 02:57 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Jul 16 2007, 07:49 PM) *
This is a good topic man smile.gif
There is plus and negitives to them both.I'll start with a set neck.Alot of people say you get better sustain and tone from a set neck,my opinion they come on better quality guitars most of the time.Your less likley to see a chepo with a set neck.Many les paul models are on a set neck.So i feel it does improve the value but the sound to be honest i cant tell a differnce.The bad thing about this type of neck is if you crach or break your neck your screwed ohmy.gif Unless your willing to send to a high end custom repair shop and unless its a vintage or priceless to you it's not worth putting the money in.A bolt on neck the way to go in my opinion even though some feel you get better sustain from the set version.If you ever have a problem with your neck on this type it can be replaced and your not stuck with a guitar body thats worthless.Also it's cool to be able to have the option of purchasing different types of necks and more convient to work on having the option of taking it off body to do repairs.So overall im a bolt on neck guy. biggrin.gif

Exactly why I am too biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Jul 17 2007, 02:59 AM
thanks for the opinions smile.gif

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
Travelin' Man
Jul 17 2007, 03:24 AM
thnx for the topic...I never would have given thqt aspect a second thought

+Quote Post
Pantalaimon
Jul 17 2007, 03:42 AM
I play a thru-neck Schecter C-1 Plus right now. It's very comfortable to play - that's probably the best case for the thru-neck.

I also have a bolt-on Fender Strat.

I don't really do repairs or any of that (mainly just cause I'm not very literate in guitar maintainance). I really don't have much of a say on that sort of thing.

I don't really hear a difference in sustain between the two, but again I'm not really looking closely for it.

I like the thru-neck cause it's more comfortable...at my skill level that works. I've got some learning to do.

--------------------
My Gear:
~Schecter C-1+ (black cherry) w/ Duncan Designed PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Fender Mexican Stratocaster (black) w/ stock PUs, EB Super Slinky strings
~Jasmine by Takamine acoustic (kinda crappy - $90)
~Fender Frontman 25R amp.
~Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive pedal
~Dan-Ecko pedal

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jul 17 2007, 05:39 AM
Like before me i play a schecter c1 as well.. exotic star. same with my jacksons they are all thru body, i find it much easier to string as well and more comfortable, the bridges are really simple too which makes it tickle my fancy a bit more than bolt ons.

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 17 2007, 10:45 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I prefer bolt on since the neck can easily be removed.

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 17 2007, 10:52 AM
I dont see a problem with a neck thru. It's not very likely that i will drop my gibson les paul standard have the neck snap off. If that does happen i will glue it on and make it a display on my wall, and have a good reason to buy a Gibson Les Paul Custom biggrin.gif OOH YEAH CUSTOM!

P.S: My les paul fell over while on the stand, it looked like it was falling in slow motion!!!

No damage, not a scratch or a ding. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 17 2007, 11:11 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Jul 17 2007, 11:52 AM) *
P.S: My les paul fell over while on the stand, it looked like it was falling in slow motion!!!

No damage, not a scratch or a ding. laugh.gif

If a Les Paul falls it's more likely to make damage to the floor laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 17 2007, 11:14 AM
Yeah, initially it did more damage to me! I crapped my pants, (not really) but you know, i have only had it about a month and i love it and its bloody expensive! tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:12 PM