Trio Playing And Songlist, How and what to play in a rock/blues/pop three piece
justreleased
Feb 27 2011, 12:55 PM
GMC:er
What's up guys?

I have started a three piece and we are having trouble getting a 3 set song list together. Our general audience can range anywhere from 18-50, so the music could be pretty varied. We need songs people enjoy hearing. Can anyone offer any song suggestions that go over well? Also, I play guitar and sing in this trio. Are there any pointers you could give in regards to making the trio song good and filling the space?
Any overall advice would be excellent. Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dark dude
Feb 27 2011, 09:35 PM
I assume you're playing in a pub, or?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
justreleased
Feb 27 2011, 10:45 PM
QUOTE (dark dude @ Feb 27 2011, 09:35 PM) *
I assume you're playing in a pub, or?

Yes. Smal to medium sized clubs.

Blayze

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Feb 28 2011, 12:10 AM
Instructor
I have some experience on that topic since I've played many shows with different electric trio, even singing some songs.

You can take take a look at some 60's or 70's stuff like Cream, Hendrix, Police. When I did my first gigs, Nirvana were pretty popular and so we played some modern songs from them or other bands like Bush, Soundgarden, RHCP and so on.

If you have a bass player with some experience with FXs, this can help for the overall sound and support you through your solos, adding some overdrive or octaves. Just take a look at Muse and what they are doing live!

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 4 2011, 01:27 AM
Instructor
Since you are the only guitar in the band, you should choose songs that can fit your band profile. You will be doing most of the work in terms of playing rhythm, lead and singing, so see if the bassist is capable of supporting the lead guitar parts. Also, it would be great if the bass player could sing, cause this already sounds much better.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Mar 4 2011, 01:27 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 11 2011, 03:19 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Generally in this type of setting a lot of pressure is on the bass player and drummer to fill the empty space when you go into the solo.
What I did in trio bands is to use overdrive during guitar solos and tend to play generally busy and hard hitting bass lines in order to fill as much space as possible. Octaves pedal can be an interesting choice for the bass player too, but overall it's the "how you play it" - attitude that fills most of the space.

Regarding set list, I would choose the ones that suit your band well (your voice and style of music you play). Choose only ones you can perform at its best. People like hearing well known songs - so don't be shy to play huge hit songs (that are boring to some musicians) like smoke on the water, proud marry etc smile.gif) Anything from youtube that has more then few million views and is in your genre will work smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:48 PM