42 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Sunday Shred Fest Challenge!
Phil66
Jun 25 2016, 11:15 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Todd

I appreciate your comments. The guitar isn't new but it's recently had some new saddles and the volume pot moved because I couldn't get on with it. Check HERE so I gave it an outing wink.gif

Cheers buddy.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 25 2016, 10:51 PM) *
Now that's hitting the roots smile.gif I think you hit every root for three octaves in fact! Is that a new guitar BTW? Looks very spiff wink.gif Nicely done on the solo. You mix in some scale bits, with some bendy bits and find wads of root notes. I think you are starting to hear where the solo "wants" to resolve to a root note, or at least I hope that's what I'm seeing/hearing smile.gif It certainly looks/sounds that way to me smile.gif

Congrats on a cool solo and on your new axe! smile.gif
[attachment=44812:phil66x4.jpg]

Well done here. Everything is in time, and in key, and in place.

Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
Jun 26 2016, 09:12 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 25 2016, 09:16 PM) *
I like your take Scott, I need to try to fit bends in a bit more like you seem to manage easily. I can do bends when I'm not playing to a backing but when I have a backing I never seem to get time to fit them in laugh.gif

Thanks smile.gif I know exactly what you mean with the bending. Im still a bit hit or miss with pitch sometimes, it was one of the first things Cosmin told me I needed to work on when I first signed up cool.gif ............ still working on it!

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jun 25 2016, 10:34 PM) *
Hi Here !!

This is a "preview"... hope you'll like it

cheers

Laurent

Laurent, that is sounding really good already! very impressive smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jun 26 2016, 10:23 AM
Learning Roadie
Laurent, that is sounding really good already! very impressive smile.gif

thank you Bleez ! wink.gif

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jun 29 2016, 02:59 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero

Here's my take for this week. I'm a bit critical of this take but hope you'll enjoy it! smile.gif Really liked playing to this track... Interesting chord shift at the end.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 30 2016, 04:56 AM
GMC:er
Spiff!! This is a really cool take. I hope everyone gives it a few viewings as it's well worth each one. A splendid combination of technique and melody, all done with casual and nearly effortless style. This is what happens after you practice your brains out for years. You can make it look easy smile.gif As the old saying goes, "True skill is effortless". It's not entirely true of course, because true skill just "seems" effortless. Watching the performance of someone who has practiced for years, you'd think it just came naturally to them. It didn't. In all likelihood, they had to earn it, like we all do.

I dig the swells in the intro, I dig the vibrato and bending, the barring licks at the 12th fret, the pinch harmonics, the double picking, the pull offs, and overall the entire melodic construction. In short, I really like everything about it. smile.gif Congrats and welcome to X6!....

Attached Image

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jun 28 2016, 09:59 PM) *
Here's my take for this week. I'm a bit critical of this take but hope you'll enjoy it! smile.gif Really liked playing to this track... Interesting chord shift at the end.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 1 2016, 05:03 AM

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jul 1 2016, 01:49 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Thanks Todd! Nothing came naturally with me with guitar... had to practice my butt off. I had to give up a good amount of my social life to play guitar. Still feel I have plenty to improve so have to just keep at it.

Btw, I'm giving quite an effort not to screw up here. biggrin.gif Had many takes on this one before I got one that felt okay. Appreciate the comments!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 1 2016, 05:01 AM
I feel your pain! smile.gif Most guys my age have a wife and kids. I can't even manage to keep a girlfriend it seems as I always prioritize music ahead of other things. All I ever really wanted was to be a good guitar player, so hopefully I've at least acheived that smile.gif But yeah, it can mean some serious sacrifice. I'm not much good at balancing out my free time. Maybe I'll figure it out as I go smile.gif

Congrats on a killer take smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jun 30 2016, 08:49 PM) *
Thanks Todd! Nothing came naturally with me with guitar... had to practice my butt off. I had to give up a good amount of my social life to play guitar. Still feel I have plenty to improve so have to just keep at it.

Btw, I'm giving quite an effort not to screw up here. biggrin.gif Had many takes on this one before I got one that felt okay. Appreciate the comments!

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jul 1 2016, 09:07 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd

this is my take. i try to do less notes, and an ending part

cheers

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 2 2016, 12:07 AM
I like both takes! I like the second one a pinch better, but they are both good smile.gif Your use of the PINKY is one of my fave things to be honest. It's soooo easy to forget about the pinky and just use the first three fingers for everything. It's good to see you using the pinky in a solo and doing it very naturally. It's a very good habit to get in to as it increases your reach quite a bit.

ON TO THE CRITIQUE! I like your using of SLIDE here quite a bit. It gives the solo a bit of a Steve Vai sort of vibe as well as your use of pull offs/hammer ons. Your bending is spot on as well which is something that takes work. It's very easy to miss a bend and end up hitting the wrong note or not quite making it to the proper one. A very good sense of melodic construction here as well. I can almost hear where you are going before you get there, the solo makes sense as it's own bit of music.

One small thing, and it's really just preference. I notice that you lead off quite a bit with an upstroke. Marty Friedman does this as well. It's not a bad thing, just different than what folks usually do, which is initiate with a down stroke. I've not noticed it before. Have you always done this?

Long story short you KILLED IT!!! Welcome to X7!!!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jul 1 2016, 04:07 PM) *
Hi Todd

this is my take. i try to do less notes, and an ending part

cheers

Laurent

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 2 2016, 09:30 PM

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jul 2 2016, 07:24 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd

thanks for watching, i'm glad you enjoyed them

about strike , yes i almost do upward stroke. why ? i don't know why

I already have the X6 badge, i do not updated it my signature , sorry smile.gif

cheers

Laurent

ps: can"t wait until the next Saturday Shred Challenge !!!

This post has been edited by fzalfa: Jul 2 2016, 07:31 AM

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
chris4
Jul 2 2016, 04:35 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd, hi everybody

I've tried to play an improv on your backing track.

I hope it's not too bad.

Thx

chris

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 2 2016, 06:45 PM
Looks like you have the X5 badge? You skipped one challenge so you are on X6 as of your last take, right?

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jul 2 2016, 02:24 AM) *
Hi Todd

thanks for watching, i'm glad you enjoyed them

about strike , yes i almost do upward stroke. why ? i don't know why

I already have the X6 badge, i do not updated it my signature , sorry smile.gif

cheers

Laurent

ps: can"t wait until the next Saturday Shred Challenge !!!

Well played! You are "Badged up" based on how many challenges you complete, so as this is your first one, you are on deck for the X1 badge. The good news is, your solo is spiff so congrats you just badged up!!!

I like the melodic approach you took here. Lots of very fluid bends and very good overall technique as well. I did notice a few notes that seemed "off" but I put that down to experimentation so it's fine to throw in some atonal bits now and again smile.gif There will be a new SHRED CHALLENGE going up later today as they go up each Saturday evening. I hope you join us on that one as well so we can get you to X2!!!!

Welcome to the club!!!! smile.gif
Attached Image

QUOTE (chris4 @ Jul 2 2016, 11:35 AM) *
Hi Todd, hi everybody

I've tried to play an improv on your backing track.

I hope it's not too bad.

Thx

chris

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jul 2 2016, 07:09 PM
Learning Roadie
Salut Chris, super ton riff !!
tu est d'ou ?

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
chris4
Jul 2 2016, 07:27 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jul 2 2016, 06:09 PM) *
Salut Chris, super ton riff !!
tu est d'ou ?

Laurent

Hello Laurent.
Je suis d'un petit village à côté de Niort.
Merci pour le com. J'aime bien ta presta, bravo.

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jul 2 2016, 07:35 PM
Learning Roadie
for the other people i switch to english

i'm from carpentras, in vaucluse

J'aime bien ta presta, bravo.

thank you , i'm still learning wink.gif

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
chris4
Jul 2 2016, 07:44 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 2 2016, 05:45 PM) *
Well played! You are "Badged up" based on how many challenges you complete, so as this is your first one, you are on deck for the X1 badge. The good news is, your solo is spiff so congrats you just badged up!!!

I like the melodic approach you took here. Lots of very fluid bends and very good overall technique as well. I did notice a few notes that seemed "off" but I put that down to experimentation so it's fine to throw in some atonal bits now and again smile.gif There will be a new SHRED CHALLENGE going up later today as they go up each Saturday evening. I hope you join us on that one as well so we can get you to X2!!!!

Welcome to the club!!!! smile.gif
Attached Image

Hi Todd. Thx for your comment.

@all...
I have just answered to Laurent that i live in a village near Niort in France, and, i like his inprov.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 2 2016, 08:50 PM
Sorry I only just made it on deadline day again huh.gif I really struggled with this one, I can't play fast so these powerful heavy tracks are hard for me.

I was having to think about switching patches too and fading out the distorted patch before switching the cleaner patch back in, never done that before and also using an extended pentatonic shape that I am just learning with Gab so there are a few bum notes and mis-timings

Rip it up Todd wink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5faoOw55er0...eature=youtu.be

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jul 2 2016, 09:01 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Phil

is it an €piphone ? what pickups ?

cheers

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 2 2016, 09:40 PM
Nicely done Phil! I am a HUGE fan of that extended version of the pentatonic scale. Especially in the key of regular A, since you can do hammer ons/pull offs, with open strings that are still in key. In this context, it's a bit more tricky as the key is a pinch wonky for guitar players. It's more of a Piano key IMHO. Still, you gripped it and ripped it!

Good neck travel here and much improved sense of melody and resolution. You are resolving the licks at the root much better these days and are getting a handle on scale patterns as well. All of this is part an parcel to becoming a better player. Once those patterns happen without really thinking about them, then you are "there". Until then it's all about repetition. Playing with backings, playing with a metronome, etc. Just play the patterns a LOT until they are almost instinct. At that point, you can focus on the notes that you are hearing in your head instead of finger position. That's the point we are all striving towards smile.gif

In short, welcome to X5!!!!! (P.S. The new Challenge is up!!! Give it a shot!)

Attached Image

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 2 2016, 03:50 PM) *
Sorry I only just made it on deadline day again huh.gif I really struggled with this one, I can't play fast so these powerful heavy tracks are hard for me.

I was having to think about switching patches too and fading out the distorted patch before switching the cleaner patch back in, never done that before and also using an extended pentatonic shape that I am just learning with Gab so there are a few bum notes and mis-timings

Rip it up Todd wink.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5faoOw55er0...eature=youtu.be

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 7 2016, 05:56 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 2 2016, 10:24 PM
QUOTE (fzalfa @ Jul 2 2016, 09:01 PM) *
Hi Phil

is it an €piphone ? what pickups ?

cheers

Laurent

Yes it's an Epiphone , the pickups are from eBay but the man made them himself, it was his own company making them. The are a bit harsh at times, i would like to find something more creamy.

Cheers

Phil

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 2 2016, 09:40 PM) *
Nicely done Phil! I am a HUGE fan of that extended version of the pentatonic scale. Especially in the key of regular A, since you can do hammer ons/pull offs, with open strings that are still in key. In this context, it's a bit more tricky as the key is a pinch wonky for guitar players. It's more of a Piano key IMHO. Still, you gripped it and ripped it!

Good neck travel here and much improved sense of melody and resolution. You are resolving the licks at the root much better these days and are getting a handle on scale patterns as well. All of this is part an parcel to becoming a better player. Once those patterns happen without really thinking about them, then you are "there". Until then it's all about repetition. Playing with backings, playing with a metronome, etc. Just play the patterns a LOT until they are almost instinct. At that point, you can focus on the notes that you are hearing in your head instead of finger position. That's the point we are all striving towards smile.gif

In short, welcome to X5!!!!! (P.S. The new Challenge is up!!! Give it a shot!)

[attachment=44841:phil66_x5.jpg]

Thanks Todd,

I wasn't pleased with it really but you always spot something deep in there.

Cheers buddy wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 3 2016, 09:52 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

42 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:32 PM