Home Stereo Used With Guitar
draftzero
Feb 21 2009, 08:45 PM
GMC:er
I have a set of klipsch speakers 4 speakers + the subwoofer, they use the standard home stereo speaker connection.

I also have a podxt live, is it possible to interface these equipment together? Would it sound good? Or am i better off buying a new amp.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Emir Hot
Feb 21 2009, 08:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (draftzero @ Feb 21 2009, 07:45 PM) *
I have a set of klipsch speakers 4 speakers + the subwoofer, they use the standard home stereo speaker connection.

I also have a podxt live, is it possible to interface these equipment together? Would it sound good? Or am i better off buying a new amp.

You can play but that's not really designed for that. You have a risk of burning your speakers.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
draftzero
Feb 21 2009, 09:02 PM
Ok selling them off and buying an amp it is! thanks!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Feb 21 2009, 09:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (draftzero @ Feb 21 2009, 08:02 PM) *
Ok selling them off and buying an amp it is! thanks!

Well that's good for listening music but not to plug your instrument directly. You can however use them for computer and play through your soundcard. Studio monitors work better in this case but your speakers would also do the job.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 21 2009, 10:08 PM
Instructor
If you use POD XT Live it is better to use those speakers than guitar amp. If you plan to use the POD Live with those speakers you can do it no problem IMO. Just find appropriate cables and adapters, and connect the out from POD to the speakers.

If you wanna hear a really good sound, I suggest that you sell those speakers and get good audio monitors. This will not color the sound, and you will hear the POD modeling well.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
draftzero
Feb 22 2009, 02:50 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Feb 21 2009, 03:08 PM) *
If you use POD XT Live it is better to use those speakers than guitar amp. If you plan to use the POD Live with those speakers you can do it no problem IMO. Just find appropriate cables and adapters, and connect the out from POD to the speakers.

If you wanna hear a really good sound, I suggest that you sell those speakers and get good audio monitors. This will not color the sound, and you will hear the POD modeling well.

Do you mind recommending some good audio monitors? I don't even know what they really are ><.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Feb 22 2009, 02:58 AM
Instructor
You can go both ways but you should know that computer speakers (regular ones) are not meant to have effect units run trough. One thing is to play back music and basic sounds, but its totally other thing to blast some shredding with tons of distortion at insane level. Point is , when you use POD in regular speakers you have no control over frequency that goes into those speakers.
My suggestion, get amp and run your effects unit trough amp wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Feb 22 2009, 03:24 AM
Instructor
I agree with Pedja at some point but the POD it self is an amp modeler. Therefore studio monitors will do the job as the POD will process the signal like through an amp. This is of course the solution for home recording and playing. If you need to play live then of course you need an amp smile.gif

About the monitors there are some good cheap ones. I use these active monitors, they really work good for £99

http://turnkey.co.uk/product.php?itemid=5284

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
kahall
Feb 22 2009, 06:05 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (draftzero @ Feb 21 2009, 07:50 PM) *
Do you mind recommending some good audio monitors? I don't even know what they really are ><.

I have a couple of Mackie MR5's that work nicely with anything Line6 I have plugged into them. One of them by itself sounds just fine for those quiet times.
I did not know what monitors were either when someone here recommended I get some. They look like speakers to me. ;-)

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
draftzero
Feb 22 2009, 06:32 AM
Thanks a bunch guys... man i love this site.! I plan on selling my old home theater system (i think i can get $500-$700 for em) so thats my price range... can these be used by themselves? Also i've heard of people talking about getting a PA system... what would be the difference between the two? Which is better?

This post has been edited by draftzero: Feb 22 2009, 07:11 AM

+Quote Post
kahall
Feb 22 2009, 07:16 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (draftzero @ Feb 21 2009, 11:32 PM) *
Thanks a bunch guys... man i love this site.! I plan on selling my old home theater system (i think i can get $500-$700 for em) so thats my price range... can these be used by themselves? Also i've heard of people talking about getting a PA system... what would be the difference between the two? Which is better?

They can be used by themselves. I do not know anything about PA systems but it's probably about the same only bigger. I don't want to talk you out of getting an amp either..;-) It depends on your situation.....how you plan to use your guitar in the near future.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
draftzero
Feb 22 2009, 07:23 AM
QUOTE (kahall @ Feb 22 2009, 12:16 AM) *
They can be used by themselves. I do not know anything about PA systems but it's probably about the same only bigger. I don't want to talk you out of getting an amp either..;-) It depends on your situation.....how you plan to use your guitar in the near future.

I guess the order of importance would be:

1. Sound (The best sound)
2. Recording (Just for fun... for vocals and guitar)
3. Possibly Gigging (probably not tho as my church's band that i just joined already has a system in place, but who knows i may need an extra amp, which i'm fine buying later on in the future)... I think the Studio Monitor would be my best option? I mean if i really had to, in theory, i could just lug the whole system (Monitor and Podxt) to gig right?)

This post has been edited by draftzero: Feb 22 2009, 07:24 AM

+Quote Post
kahall
Feb 22 2009, 07:33 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (draftzero @ Feb 22 2009, 12:23 AM) *
[..]

I mean if i really had to, in theory, i could just lug the whole system (Monitor and Podxt) to gig right?)

Yes! I have a laptop, guitar port, and monitors and I can move quickly if I need to. You don't even need the laptop with the Podxt.

This post has been edited by kahall: Feb 22 2009, 07:35 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
draftzero
Feb 22 2009, 07:58 AM
QUOTE (kahall @ Feb 22 2009, 12:33 AM) *
Yes! I have a laptop, guitar port, and monitors and I can move quickly if I need to. You don't even need the laptop with the Podxt.

Woot ok, that answers my question! I guess Studio Monitor it is... I guess PA system would be over doing it... especially if i'm not gonna be mainly performing...

*sigh* now time to research on which SM i should get.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 22 2009, 12:58 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (draftzero @ Feb 22 2009, 07:23 AM) *
I guess the order of importance would be:

1. Sound (The best sound)
2. Recording (Just for fun... for vocals and guitar)
3. Possibly Gigging (probably not tho as my church's band that i just joined already has a system in place, but who knows i may need an extra amp, which i'm fine buying later on in the future)... I think the Studio Monitor would be my best option? I mean if i really had to, in theory, i could just lug the whole system (Monitor and Podxt) to gig right?)

Hmm studio monitors won't be good for gigs, they are not that powerful and are meant to be used in studio or at home...For gigs you need to use an amp or possibly go from POD to speakers system club has in place where you are gigging.

If you have such a good home theater system I would try connecting from POD with appropriate cables and see if I like the sound I'm getting...Very possibly you will get a very good sound and be satisfied.

Usually when you are getting active studio monitors you want a good sound card to go with them too.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
dusty
Feb 22 2009, 02:23 PM
I use my POD XT with my computer speakers plugged in the the headphone jack, works ok and is handy when i want to break from study or work but for a proper session i will use my amp. if you are going to use the main audio outputs from the POD then do use the right equiptment (monitors) or you will damage your speakers.

--------------------
"smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 22 2009, 05:00 PM
Instructor
You can use POD XT Live with various devices, here are some generalized clarifications:

POD XT Live with GUITAR AMP:
Since guitar amp speaker is basically a mid frequency device, the whole sound spectrum is note covered, so it doesn't give an actual representation of the sound that you put through him. For example if you plug in a CD player into guitar amp, the sound will be muffled and only in mids and lows, while lot of frequencies, specially the high end ones will be cut off. If you plug the POD device into guitar amp, which is a digital modeler, the sound will also be cut off in some areas, so you don't have exact representation of the modeling that the POD is creating. The sound will be there, but not too accurate. However guitar speakers are different in construction than other speakers, which means they are purposely build to handle high peaks that guitar amp can create when you play the guitar. This means the guitar speaker has lots of headroom and it is more robust, so you can crank it and nothing will happen to it, and you will have a better dynamic response playing a guitar.

POD XT Live with KEYBOARD AMPS OR PA GEAR:
Keyboard amps and PA gear have some things in common. They are made to represent and amplify the sound of keyboards, microphones, and all other gear to large SP levels in a fairly accurate manner. In other words they have robust speakers with robust power amplifiers that can cover the whole frequency range. If you play POD through Keyboard amp, or into Mixer and than PA system, you will hear the sound of the POD fairly accurately (depending on the quality of the gear of course), and get it to high SP levels. This solution is very good if you wanna use processor live, however, using robust audio devices at home on bedroom levels is overkill, and you loose the dynamics of the sound.

POD XT Live with Hi Fi Speakers (and Hi Fi amp):
Since Hi Fi speakers have good sound quality over the whole sound spectrum, all the subtle details of the POD device will be heard, so from that perspective it is good. But since these speakers are specifically made to have small amounts of headroom, unlike the guitar speakers, they are very sensitive when they get a peak from the amp. Also Hi Fi amps are not built to handle big signal peaks at input, they are made for to conform a line level signals from audio devices note instruments, so if you crank the POD loud enough, you can risk damaging the amp or speakers or both. But again, if you keep the volume at reasonable levels on POD, don't crank the preset or master volume too much, and instead of that use the volume on the Hi Fi amp, the sound will be good.

POD XT Live with STUDIO MONITORS:
Same story as with Hi Fi gear, except the purpose of studio monitors is to give neutral transparent sound of anything you feed them with. This is ideal for processors, so you can hear exact representation of the signal that is coming from POD. However, not all monitors are doing the job well, so the more you pay, the more you get, like always.

Recommendations for active studio monitors in 500-700$ range:

Tannoy Reveal 5A ~700$ pair

Mackie MR8 ~280$ each

Yamaha MSP5 Studio ~250$ each

JBL LSR2328P ~350$ each

Yamaha HS80M ~350$ each

I suggest the Yamaha HS80M pair

--------------------

+Quote Post
draftzero
Feb 22 2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks Ivan..

what you think of the KRK VXT 6 (or 4) Powered Studio Monitor?

Must i get them in pairs or can I deal with just 1?

This post has been edited by draftzero: Feb 22 2009, 09:38 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 22 2009, 11:01 PM
Instructor
You need a pair of them for stereo image. It's of little use to buy one. I would suggest something with a bit bigger woofer, 4" sounds a bit small to me. I recommend Yamaha MSP5 Studio in that range.

cheers mate,

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Feb 22 2009, 11:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
draftzero
Feb 23 2009, 06:16 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Feb 22 2009, 04:01 PM) *
You need a pair of them for stereo image. It's of little use to buy one. I would suggest something with a bit bigger woofer, 4" sounds a bit small to me. I recommend Yamaha MSP5 Studio in that range.

cheers mate,

Well the plan was to buy one for now... mainly just for playing (no recording) and then eventually buy another one once i want to start recording... would that be alright? I mean playing with one monitor... in my head it would just operate like an amp right?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:15 AM