Cube 30x Amp And Zoom G2 Pedal
Nody
Oct 14 2007, 11:51 PM
GMC:er
Hi all,

I am a newbie so pplease no shouting at me. (LOL). Ok so i got a cube 30x amp, and i mainly use the rectifier setting as im trying to mess around with metallica stuff. My mate leant me his zoom g2 pedal, as hes having a break from guitar for a while. On the pedal it has setting to for Mesa rectifier. So i put my amp on clean and use the pedal, but it just sounds absolutely nowhere near as good as just using my amp and the rectifier setting on my amp. what im really after, and i dont if this possible is to just using the pedal through the clean of my amp, to use this pedal to have all my differnet amp settings. ie 1 for metallica 2 for say greenday and so on. so therefore leave my bass, mids, trebs in wont position and just use the pedal to adjust everything. I know this is long post. Please help.

Cheers

Nody

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Oct 15 2007, 12:00 AM
Learning Roadie
i just looked at the specs for the cube 30x and it seems it doesnt have an effects return. thats what i would use if there was one. without it the best i can suggest it put the equilizer setting to the middle (probably 5 on bass, mid and treble) and use the acoustic or clean setting then just mess around with the EQ.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by muntahunta: Oct 15 2007, 12:08 AM

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
Nody
Oct 15 2007, 12:51 AM
sorry whats an effects return and what does it do?

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Oct 15 2007, 01:02 AM
Learning Roadie
its on alot of guitar amps. its called an effects loop, most effects pedals sound better running through them as it bypasses the EQ's and things of your amp and just uses the volume.

so if you had one (which the cube 30x doesnt) your setup would be like this...

Guitar -> effect pedal -> Effect return on amp

but since you dont have one, the only way is to go like this

Guitar -> Effect Pedal -> Input on amp

--------------------
Guitars:
Effects:
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:

+Quote Post
Nody
Oct 15 2007, 01:09 AM
Right im with ya. So i was looking at getting a new amp. An epi valve junior, which just has a volume control. could i then use this then my pedal? cherrs for your help by the way.

+Quote Post
javari
Oct 15 2007, 01:24 AM
I sometimes use a POD XT on the Epi Valve Junior. I think the Zoom and the POD are similar multieffects.
It is possible.
You have to take into account that the Epi Valve Junior is a tube amp and that it has "sound coloring" of its own. So you add the affect of the pedal to the sound characteristics of the amp.

Imo multi effects like the POD and probably your Zoom sound best through a neutral souding amp or headphones.
I like my POD best with headphones, the differences in amp moddeling can be heard best that way.

--------------------
Guitars: Fender US standard Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Amps: Fender Princeton Recording Amp, H&K Statesman Dual EL84
Effects: Pod XT, Keeley TS808, Keeley DS-1, RAT

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 15 2007, 01:24 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Nody @ Oct 14 2007, 08:09 PM) *
Right im with ya. So i was looking at getting a new amp. An epi valve junior, which just has a volume control. could i then use this then my pedal? cherrs for your help by the way.

The Epi has no effects loop, so you would have to put any effects between your guitar and the Amp.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Oct 15 2007, 01:28 AM
Learning Roadie
ive heard keyboard amps are really good for amp modelling but im not 100% on that.

apparently they try not to change the sound using the onboard preamps so there is no colouring.
i might have to test this out at some point.

infact, i have a roland keyboard amp here, ill try my pod with it now...

... well, im using a Roland KC-150 and it actually sounds quite good.
it pretty much sounds as if its going through a PA so the only thing that would color the sound would actually be what kind of cab is being used.

This post has been edited by muntahunta: Oct 15 2007, 01:35 AM

--------------------
Guitars:
Effects:
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:

+Quote Post
Nody
Oct 15 2007, 02:19 AM
what example is there of a neutral souding amp?

Chers

+Quote Post
javari
Oct 15 2007, 02:40 AM
I think the Roland JC 120 is a very clean sounding amp, It is used a lot by jazz guitarists.

It's not cheap though...

There are probably some other people here who are more expert in this field and can give you good advice in different price ranges.

--------------------
Guitars: Fender US standard Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Amps: Fender Princeton Recording Amp, H&K Statesman Dual EL84
Effects: Pod XT, Keeley TS808, Keeley DS-1, RAT

+Quote Post
Owen
Oct 15 2007, 03:37 AM
Hmm, my initial setup was with a totally clean amp and a G2 and I must say, the distortion on the G2 is absolutely horrible even on complete clean, all fuzzy and nasty sounding. I wouldnt buy extra amps just to see if you could get it sounding good.

In my experience anything by Line 6 > anything by Zoom.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Nody
Oct 15 2007, 04:17 AM
ok thanks for that.

cheers

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:13 AM