5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Me Learning Hot Country: Update7
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 15 2021, 03:56 PM
GMC Founder
The journey has started, here is Update 1:
(If you are new to this, here is how it started and here is the hot country solo lesson I am practicing.)

Update 2:

Update 3:

Update 4: (80% of original tempo)

Update 5: (90% of original tempo)

Update 6: Here is my first attempt at 100% speed, it's taken me roughly two months! πŸ˜…

Update 7: My second attempt at 100% speed!

Ok, so I think this is the final version:

I have submitted it for grading here 😱

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Kristofer Dahl: Apr 29 2021, 11:26 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 15 2021, 04:33 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Interesting, thanks for participating Kris, maybe you'll get an insight into our challenges by doing this.

I hope you can work through it and get to REC, that would be awesome.

Looking forward to more inspiring videos, it will be interesting if you do manage to learn the whole thing, to hear how you think it has benefited your playing.

Cheers

Phil

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

β€œSuccess is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 15 2021, 04:35 PM
GMC Founder
@Phil - for sure!

Feel free to comment if there is something particular you would like me to focus on in my practicing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 15 2021, 06:22 PM
Will do buddy.

Interesting how different we are regarding GP. I always use it to get the lesson under my fingers and up to speed. It's better (for me) than the slow down in the player, at less than 50% anyway, as the sound quality doesn't alter.

Once up to speed I create an MP3 of the lesson video, and put it in my DAW as track 1 and work along with that at various speeds to get used to playing along with the backing, as you know, backing can be off putting. This is also whet I work on the nuances of the instructor's version.

In track 2 I put the backing and line it up with track 1. I then play along with JUST the backing (muting track 1) at various speeds and play back along with the lesson. MP3 to check my timing. With my current LESSON I've been very pleased and Gab has too, with the fact I've been able to play in time at slower speeds which can be trickier than full speed.

That's my process, you may find some use from it.

As a suggestion, I think it would be good to make the lesson video available as MP3 along with the GP, backing and TAB downloads for use in a DAW. I could send you any that I've still got and if you want me to, I could do some each week for you.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

β€œSuccess is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Jan 15 2021, 06:54 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Really interesting and it is awesome that you decided to do vlogs so we could follow your journey.

Great video and I thought it was fascinating to hear how you learn lessons and how you practice, it is something I would try and see how it works out. Also it was interesting to hear about picking lessons which you love rather than picking lessons you think are good for you.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 15 2021, 07:03 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (HiimAlex @ Jan 15 2021, 06:54 PM) *
Also it was interesting to hear about picking lessons which you love rather than picking lessons you think are good for you.

I consider this crucial, it is with this in mind that I structured GMC the way it is! πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘Œ

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 15 2021, 06:22 PM) *
Will do buddy.

Interesting how different we are regarding GP. I always use it to get the lesson under my fingers and up to speed. It's better (for me) than the slow down in the player, at less than 50% anyway, as the sound quality doesn't alter.

Once up to speed I create an MP3 of the lesson video, and put it in my DAW as track 1 and work along with that at various speeds to get used to playing along with the backing, as you know, backing can be off putting. This is also whet I work on the nuances of the instructor's version.

In track 2 I put the backing and line it up with track 1. I then play along with JUST the backing (muting track 1) at various speeds and play back along with the lesson. MP3 to check my timing. With my current LESSON I've been very pleased and Gab has too, with the fact I've been able to play in time at slower speeds which can be trickier than full speed.

That's my process, you may find some use from it.

As a suggestion, I think it would be good to make the lesson video available as MP3 along with the GP, backing and TAB downloads for use in a DAW. I could send you any that I've still got and if you want me to, I could do some each week for you.

Cheers

Phil

This sounds like a solid method for sure - and we can obviously see results! 😊

The mp3 thing is doable ( can be done retroactively as well)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 15 2021, 07:22 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 15 2021, 06:03 PM) *
This sounds like a solid method for sure - and we can obviously see results! 😊

Thank you smile.gif

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 15 2021, 06:03 PM) *
The mp3 thing is doable ( can be done retroactively as well)

If there's anything I can do to help just ask.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 16 2021, 06:20 AM
GMC:er
I can't seem to get that tone or even close to that tone on my ibanez. Teles really do sound different.

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 15 2021, 11:35 AM) *
@Phil - for sure!

Feel free to comment if there is something particular you would like me to focus on in my practicing.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 16 2021, 07:37 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 16 2021, 06:20 AM) *
I can't seem to get that tone or even close to that tone on my ibanez. Teles really do sound different.

Well I am certainly no expert but even on an Ibby with floating trem you should be able to get some twang:

* use bridge pickup

* snap the notes hard and then kill the note by releasing pressure with left hand

* start with just a clean fender style amp preset, then maybe boost a little bit by increasing amp gain

* do not drain the tone with effects! To start with, just use a barely audible spring reverb

* a country style compressor pedal can help you get the initial snap/pop even without using "true" country playing technique

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 17 2021, 12:56 AM
GMC:er
That certainly helped thing! First time for me trying to get anything close to this. As always a lot of the tone seems to come from the fingers. I"m editing a video for the German band that I play with called ARKASA at the moment so we can release it by the end of January. I think I'm gonna have to just watch on this one. I'm frankly amazed at how well you can get this plucky western/country style going. I think shredding is a bit easier to be honest.
Attached Image
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 16 2021, 02:37 PM) *
Well I am certainly no expert but even on an Ibby with floating trem you should be avle to get some twang:

* use bridge pickup

* snap the notes hard and then kill the note by releasing pressure with left hand

* start with just a clean fender style amp preset, then maybe boost a little bit by increasing amp gain

* do not drain the tone with effects! To start with, just use a barely audible spring reverb

* a country style compressor pedal can help you get the initial snap/pop even without using "true" country playing technique

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 17 2021, 07:54 AM
Learning Tone Master
It's awesome the fact that you decided to make videos to show us your approaching in learning a lesson. smile.gif

BTW I'm totally agree with you about Guitar Pro. It's an amazing program but I also can't learn a lesson using this because everything sound so sterile, soulless and this thing not work for me.
I use Guitar Pro only if I need to make a tab for someone else (because if I need for me a tab, I still like to do this in the old version...writing with the pencil on music sheet biggrin.gif).

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 17 2021, 11:31 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 17 2021, 12:56 AM) *
That certainly helped thing! First time for me trying to get anything close to this. As always a lot of the tone seems to come from the fingers. I"m editing a video for the German band that I play with called ARKASA at the moment so we can release it by the end of January. I think I'm gonna have to just watch on this one. I'm frankly amazed at how well you can get this plucky western/country style going. I think shredding is a bit easier to be honest.
Attached Image

Sounds like a cool project! 😎

To be honest learning this lesson feels like major challenge for me as well, however I am very focused and practicing hard - so the worst thing that can happen is that I get better πŸ˜πŸ‘Œ

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Jan 17 2021, 07:54 AM) *
It's awesome the fact that you decided to make videos to show us your approaching in learning a lesson. smile.gif

BTW I'm totally agree with you about Guitar Pro. It's an amazing program but I also can't learn a lesson using this because everything sound so sterile, soulless and this thing not work for me.
I use Guitar Pro only if I need to make a tab for someone else (because if I need for me a tab, I still like to do this in the old version...writing with the pencil on music sheet biggrin.gif).

Yeah, and it's also great if you cannot figure out the rhythm by ear. So far for this lesson I have just used the ASCII (text) tab and slow down functionality of the player. However I have probably only gone though about half of the lesson so far.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 17 2021, 11:40 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 17 2021, 10:31 AM) *
However I have probably only gone though about half of the lesson so far.

How well can you play that half of the lesson?

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 17 2021, 11:52 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 17 2021, 11:40 AM) *
How well can you play that half of the lesson?

I cannot play it consecutively at all, I have just isolated the licks in a way that allows me to practice them. I now need to get them into my muscle memory so that I eventually can get them up to tempo.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 17 2021, 01:58 PM
That's good really, I was getting deflated thinking you'd nailed half of the lesson already biggrin.gif

Come on then, let's see a video of you trying wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 17 2021, 03:42 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 17 2021, 01:58 PM) *
That's good really, I was getting deflated thinking you'd nailed half of the lesson already biggrin.gif

Come on then, let's see a video of you trying wink.gif

Try what? πŸ˜…The best you will be able to see me do right now is play the licks as I read them from the ASCII tab (which is what I did in the video).

At this stage there is no point to push myself to play half the solo if I can't play the licks properly, because that will cause me to strain and get bad habits.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 17 2021, 03:55 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 17 2021, 02:42 PM) *
Try what? πŸ˜…The best you will be able to see me do right now is play the licks as I read them from the ASCII tab (which is what I did in the video).

At this stage there is no point to push myself to play half the solo if I can't play the licks properly, because that will cause me to strain and get bad habits.

smile.gif I only meant as part of the process just seeing your initial attempts at a couple of bars. Please don't think it's to laugh at you, it would be interesting to see someone of your ability struggling. I think a lot of students, myself in particular put ourselves under a lot of pressure when learning a lesson, I always think people are thinking I don't put enough effort in when it takes me a lot of time to get results.

I think it we see your struggle it will help us to rationalise our expectations.

I hope that makes sense wink.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 17 2021, 04:21 PM
GMC Founder
Ok I see what you mean, yes I plan on recording a new status update soon, I can then try to play through what i have learned slowly.

If you want to get a feel for how it sounds, listen to 03:10 or 03:30 here:

I can basically play the first half of the solo at this tempo, minus some subtle technique stuff which I have not worked out yet.

This post has been edited by Kristofer Dahl: Jan 17 2021, 04:29 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 17 2021, 09:54 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 17 2021, 03:21 PM) *
Ok I see what you mean, yes I plan on recording a new status update soon, I can then try to play through what i have learned slowly.

If you want to get a feel for how it sounds, listen to 03:10 or 03:30 here:

I can basically play the first half of the solo at this tempo, minus some subtle technique stuff which I have not worked out yet.

Thanks buddy,

Yeah I watched the video all the way through first time around, very interesting. Are you going to post the final version in REC? You won't be able to skip parts like you said you were going to, the judges in REC are RELENTLESS and won't allow you to get away with skipping parts tongue.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 17 2021, 10:03 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 17 2021, 09:54 PM) *
Thanks buddy,

Yeah I watched the video all the way through first time around, very interesting. Are you going to post the final version in REC? You won't be able to skip parts like you said you were going to, the judges in REC are RELENTLESS and won't allow you to get away with skipping parts tongue.gif

Cheers

Hehe I am not planning on skipping anything πŸ˜… I might not always use the same technique as Chris though.

I will probably also post for students to grade as well 😎 lets just hope I will make it

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:33 AM