Podxt Differences And The Competition
sb81
Jul 5 2007, 03:01 PM
GMC:er
Scoping out my next purchase, I've had great luck with Line6 gear, so am most likely going to stick with the brand, but was curious about the differences between PodXT & PodXT live.

Obviously the Live is a floorboard, comes with the FX Junkie pack, and has the input for variax... but does it lack anything the regular XT has? I hear it doesn't do "balancing?"

I also hear the pedals are pretty close together, granted this is something I would have to go try myself, but does anyone find this to be a problem?

Would also love to hear about other related products if anyone has any experience with them.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
radarlove1984
Jul 5 2007, 09:32 PM
I bought a PODxt Live about 2 months ago and have been very happy with it overall. The factory presets were terrible, I'm afraid. Most of them were geared towards heavy metal, and the few classic rock tones sounded stale.

The learning curve was pretty steep, but once I figured it out, I could dial in an almost perfect sound in a few minutes. I say 'almost perfect' because I don't know how it will sound at high volume, but when I ran it through computer speakers and started playing the Stairway to Heaven solo, people thought I was playing a CD. It's that close.

I wear a size 12 shoe and using the pedals has never been a problem for me. This is something you'd have to try yourself, but I doubt you could accidentally hit the wrong pedal unless you're using your entire foot instead of your toe.

I'm not an expert on hardware, but I think the XT and the xtLive have the same guts inside them. Everything the XT can do, the xtLive can do just as well.

I don't use a Variax, so the connectivity feature is useless for me. The pedal board is great for playing live or just jamming around though.

If you shop around, you can find an XTlive for $340 dollars used at musician's friend. The extra features make it worthwhile for me.

(side note - it's a real pain in the ass to carry around though. I live in a college dorm and storing this thing is a nightmare. It seems like it's always half an inch too big to store in a closet or under a bed. I have to leave it on the floor in plain site all the time.)

Overall, I'd recommend the XtLive. It does everything the XT does, but it has a lot more features that really come in handy.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
jammer91
Jul 11 2007, 11:06 AM
I need a good dist pedal which will allow me to hook up to some speakers. Most distortion pedals dont come with the speaker out option and neither does my Vox AD30VT amp. What do you suggest i buy? Im looking for some heavy metal distortion with speaker output for an as cheap price as possible...

Thanks

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
radarlove1984
Jul 11 2007, 07:01 PM
Like connect to computer speakers or headphones? Or connect to a PA system?

Most headphones, computer speakers, CD players, etc... have a 1/8" inch plug.

Things like PA systems, guitars and amplifiers, distortion pedals, etc... have a 1/4" plug.

If you want to send a distortion pedal to headphones, but it doesn't have a headphone jack, you can buy a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter for about $5 dollars. I do stuff like that all the time with my POD and it sounds good playing through amps, headphones, my TV, and my computer speakers.

+Quote Post
Lurgen
Jul 12 2007, 08:54 AM
Anything you want to connect directly to some speakers needs to be an amplifier - distortion pedals simply don't put out enough power to run speakers off them. The Pod isn't any different, it's just a big (expensive) pedal effectively.

Before I owned a half decent amp I used my Pod as an input to my stereo system. The Pod has a stereo output which works a treat. The stereo system has its own inbuilt amplifier, so line-level inputs worked nicely.

--------------------
Guitars: Fender American Vintage 1957 Stratocaster, Fender American Highway One, Maton MS2000 Deluxe
Amps: Fender Hotrod Deluxe, Roland Cube 60, Fender Frontman 25R
Effects: Boss BD-2, OS-2, DD-20, TU-2

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 12 2007, 01:25 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Lurgen @ Jul 12 2007, 03:54 AM) *
Anything you want to connect directly to some speakers needs to be an amplifier - distortion pedals simply don't put out enough power to run speakers off them. The Pod isn't any different, it's just a big (expensive) pedal effectively.

Before I owned a half decent amp I used my Pod as an input to my stereo system. The Pod has a stereo output which works a treat. The stereo system has its own inbuilt amplifier, so line-level inputs worked nicely.

Very true ^^^^

However, the PodXTL also has a headphone socket, and headphones sound amazing with the pod if yu can work with them - no amplifier needed in that case.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
sb81
Jul 12 2007, 05:26 PM
QUOTE (Lurgen @ Jul 12 2007, 08:54 AM) *

Ya, I'm thinking of just going with a Pod... I think portability (with use of headphones) is more important to me right now than the live floorboard form factor, as I still have a ways to go before I ever perform live, and even then, the PodXT can still be used, and I could even later get the FBV or whatever.

+Quote Post
icedern
Jul 12 2007, 05:44 PM
Currently my friend and I do a lot of recording on his computer with a program called QBase. What would the Midi Out on the pod do for us?

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 12 2007, 06:07 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (icedern @ Jul 12 2007, 12:44 PM) *
Currently my friend and I do a lot of recording on his computer with a program called QBase. What would the Midi Out on the pod do for us?

Allow you to drive external synths (probably not required as you can do it all virtually within Cubase using VSTis)

A.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:35 AM