Indie Label: Guitarmasterclass, Based on a comic and a thread
SirJamsalot
May 5 2010, 01:25 AM
Learning Rock Star
I don't know if this is is the right thread for such a post, but I read this thread:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=34902

and saw some great information linked and discussed concerning what it takes to post your music/compilations on the internet - itunes, etc. Seems one needs a few Bar Codes, Label prices, etc. to be listed. I know CD Baby and a few other sites do this kind of service, so rahashing what is already out there is likely a moot point but I was thinking in terms of another marketing angle for GuitarMasterClass -

Suppose GuitarMasterClass registered as an indie label, and as a service, offered the ability for members to master and produce a song or album, and then publish under its label to the various sites like Itunes?

I know things like this aren't easy to put into place and there are likely all sorts of legalities, level of effort and connections on the part of GuitarMasterClass to consider for such an offering, but as a dream/pie in the sky kind of thing, wouldn't it be kindof neat if a site devoted to training musicians could show off their member's accomplishments in a safe environment, shielded from internet sharks?

Just thinking off the top of my head after reading that thread.

Christian A.

-- edit -- or partner with someone who does publishing and mastering?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by SirJamsalot: May 5 2010, 01:28 AM

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jafomatic
May 5 2010, 02:58 AM
GMC:er
I had a similar idea while reading that same thread. I think between online publishing services and a coordinated effort at "free" online marketing, this type of venture could succeed.

I'd be really interested to help or participate in any way.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 5 2010, 09:02 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Wow, This sounds interesting. I support this venture..

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Staffy
May 5 2010, 10:42 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (maharzan @ May 5 2010, 10:02 AM) *
Wow, This sounds interesting. I support this venture..

Me, as well as the GMC Coffee-Lovers Club also supports this! (even that Ivan haven't brought us the new coffee-machine from Japan and the pool is still in the construction-phase)

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 5 2010, 11:20 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ May 5 2010, 12:25 AM) *

and saw some great information linked and discussed concerning what it takes to post your music/compilations on the internet - itunes, etc. Seems one needs a few Bar Codes, Label prices, etc. to be listed. I know CD Baby and a few other sites do this kind of service, so rahashing what is already out there is likely a moot point but I was thinking in terms of another marketing angle for GuitarMasterClass -

Suppose GuitarMasterClass registered as an indie label, and as a service, offered the ability for members to master and produce a song or album, and then publish under its label to the various sites like Itunes?

Interesting idea Christian - the main cost here if this was digital distribution would lie in mastering since ISRC is a one off and bar-coding is relatively cheap. You could keep the mastering cost down by DIY but it is unlikely that you will get the same result as a professionally mastered production and, at least initially it is also possible that you will not be aware of the QA issues that surround mastering and replication.

I am btw an independent pro mastering engineer. (See below)

This post has been edited by tonymiro: May 5 2010, 11:22 AM

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
May 5 2010, 12:08 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
I'd support this!
I mean, there are great possibilities to distribute your won music online (check www.tunecore.com), but since many members here create their own music a GMC sampler would also be a nice idea, maybe in form of a double CD, one for the instructors, one for the students.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 5 2010, 12:37 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I think this would be an amazing idea, Something I would like to see develop in the future. I agree with what tony said, about the mastering and ISRC issues (I'm currently going through these very same things), But maybe we could have it split? One for mastered CD's and maybe another section for "at-home" productions.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 5 2010, 01:14 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I support this idea full on. Especially since many memeber have cool bands and projects going on. Just imagine possibilities if you were able to publish your music through GMC label smile.gif

p.s. If this idea was posted to the latest GMC competition (How to improve GMC) I'm sure it would win straight smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: May 5 2010, 01:16 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 5 2010, 05:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (tonymiro @ May 5 2010, 03:20 AM) *
Interesting idea Christian - the main cost here if this was digital distribution would lie in mastering since ISRC is a one off and bar-coding is relatively cheap. You could keep the mastering cost down by DIY but it is unlikely that you will get the same result as a professionally mastered production and, at least initially it is also possible that you will not be aware of the QA issues that surround mastering and replication.

I am btw an independent pro mastering engineer. (See below)

I'm afraid I don't know the terminology DIY & ISRC, but as I mentioned in my --edit-, there are always 3rd party partnership possibilities, no?

Anyways, I'm sure you could come up with all sorts of variations on the idea, even if not the whole shabang. This idea just seemed to fit the theme of the thread and the fact that I've never produced anything, it would be beneficial for me, not knowing the industry, to know that in addition to instruction on music I also had a channel of people who have the resources to guide and provide that service. Hey, a slogan...

Christian A.

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ May 5 2010, 05:14 AM) *
I support this idea full on. Especially since many memeber have cool bands and projects going on. Just imagine possibilities if you were able to publish your music through GMC label smile.gif

p.s. If this idea was posted to the latest GMC competition (How to improve GMC) I'm sure it would win straight smile.gif

heh. I posted it here because I thought the competition ended in April. I don't know how to move my post, so I'll just leave here. You guys saw it, so if it generates some new ideas for improving GMC I'm happy.

Christian.

This post has been edited by SirJamsalot: May 5 2010, 05:26 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 5 2010, 05:53 PM
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ May 5 2010, 04:23 PM) *
I'm afraid I don't know the terminology DIY & ISRC, but as I mentioned in my --edit-, there are always 3rd party partnership possibilities, no?

Anyways, I'm sure you could come up with all sorts of variations on the idea, even if not the whole shabang. This idea just seemed to fit the theme of the thread and the fact that I've never produced anything, it would be beneficial for me, not knowing the industry, to know that in addition to instruction on music I also had a channel of people who have the resources to guide and provide that service. Hey, a slogan...

Christian A.

If it helps Christian - and apologies as it gets technical quite quickly,
ISRC is the International Standard Recording Code. It's an alpha numeric code that identifies the country of origin and uniquely the specific record label plus extra info that then identifies the actual recording and the track. An initial part (the country and unique record label bit) of the ISRC can only be assigned by a specific organisation within each member country as detailed by the IFPI.

In some member countries the specific organisation charges for those codes, in some they do not. Regardless, if you do not have an ISRC then many digital distributors - iTunes for instance - will not stock your product; similarly if your mastered recording doesn't have the ISRC then a professional replication plant will not refuse to print your cds. One of the odd bits is that a digital wave file cannot have an ISRC embedded in to it - only a CDA can. Similarly most mp3 editors cannot embed the ISRC as metadata as an ID3 tag despite it being flagable id3 info.

DIY - do it yourself, or 'home produced mastering'. Often done completely 'in the box' using something like Izotope and Toast to produce and burn respectively. Izotope is a good DIY one stop package for processing like 2 bus eq/compression and so on but it won't sadly hit quite the same level as professional mastering hardware and software. Toast is ok as a burner and, AFAIK, will let you embed ISRC and produce a pq (exact track start and stop codes) again necessary for a replication plant, and let you embed some CD Text (ie track title and artist name) but I don't think it will provide proper QA such as a BLER report (BLock Error data report). Also many consumer cd-writers/burners can't write CT-Text and ISRC and very, very few can produce a BLER.

In addition non-mastering daws tend to leave artifacts on cross fading. These can result in either a replication plant rejection - or a CD with noticable pops and clicks. Pro end mastering involves sequencing a cd so that tracks flow in to each other appropriately and at the right levels and without artifacts. Getting the levels between tracks right and setting the gain stage appropriately is a bit of an art - and not to be confused with 'normalising' or leveling.

Part of what I get paid for when I master is the Red Book QA - the ability to embed ISRC and other metatext properly and produce and error check suitably for an Eclipse QA at the plant, part is gain staging and sequencing properly. The Processing - mastering EQ/compression, etc - is only part of the game.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 5 2010, 06:05 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (tonymiro @ May 5 2010, 09:53 AM) *
If it helps Christian - and apologies as it gets technical quite quickly,
ISRC is the International Standard Recording Code. It's an alpha numeric code that identifies the country of origin and uniquely the specific record label plus extra info that then identifies the actual recording and the track. An initial part (the country and unique record label bit) of the ISRC can only be assigned by a specific organisation within each member country as detailed by the IFPI.

In some member countries the specific organisation charges for those codes, in some they do not. Regardless, if you do not have an ISRC then many digital distributors - iTunes for instance - will not stock your product; similarly if your mastered recording doesn't have the ISRC then a professional replication plant will not refuse to print your cds. One of the odd bits is that a digital wave file cannot have an ISRC embedded in to it - only a CDA can. Similarly most mp3 editors cannot embed the ISRC as metadata as an ID3 tag despite it being flagable id3 info.

DIY - do it yourself, or 'home produced mastering'. Often done completely 'in the box' using something like Izotope and Toast to produce and burn respectively. Izotope is a good DIY one stop package for processing like 2 bus eq/compression and so on but it won't sadly hit quite the same level as professional mastering hardware and software. Toast is ok as a burner and, AFAIK, will let you embed ISRC and produce a pq (exact track start and stop codes) again necessary for a replication plant, and let you embed some CD Text (ie track title and artist name) but I don't think it will provide proper QA such as a BLER report (BLock Error data report). Also many consumer cd-writers/burners can't write CT-Text and ISRC and very, very few can produce a BLER.

In addition non-mastering daws tend to leave artifacts on cross fading. These can result in either a replication plant rejection - or a CD with noticable pops and clicks. Pro end mastering involves sequencing a cd so that tracks flow in to each other appropriately and at the right levels and without artifacts. Getting the levels between tracks right and setting the gain stage appropriately is a bit of an art - and not to be confused with 'normalising' or leveling.

Part of what I get paid for when I master is the Red Book QA - the ability to embed ISRC and other metatext properly and produce and error check suitably for an Eclipse QA at the plant, part is gain staging and sequencing properly. The Processing - mastering EQ/compression, etc - is only part of the game.

Wow. huh.gif I'm a bit OD'd on the anacronyms now smile.gif I wasn't sure what you meant by QA as questions and answers didn't quite fit the context very well laugh.gif , but I can see how complex something like this is.

thanks,
Christian

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
May 5 2010, 06:09 PM
Instructor
this is actually a pretty good idea, but teaming up with a marketing company would be a MUST here.
i totally support the idea, and if anything is needed count with me smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 5 2010, 06:20 PM
QA = Quality Assurance. When you send a CDA for replication at the plant it must be burnt to Red Book standards (that's all the technical requirements set by Philips and Sony some years ago for CDs. There are other standards that govern Data CDs, SACD, DVDs - Blue, Scarlet and Orange book etc). It must also pass the plant's own in house quality system - the majority use the Eclipse system to error check your CD. If it fails the Eclipse some plants will just reject your CD and ask for a reburn - some will charge you and ask for a reburn. All CDs contain errors - so there is never a 100% guarantee that a plant won't reject just because a cd was mastered professionally and has a BLER etc - but it is less likely to be rejected. A plant may (and some are more likely than others to do this) reject for 'interesting' reasons including the country bit flag not being set, and some may reject if it is set (depends on the plant) despite this not being an Eclipse type 'error'.

Also, reputable plants tend to want quite a bit more info from who ever sends them a CD for burning apart from what I've mentioned - there's also various things all to do with establishing copyright and origin.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:13 PM