Apprentice Bushido 37
Ben Higgins
Oct 12 2012, 11:04 AM
Instructor
Task 37: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=560112

Greetings disciples !! This week I'd like to invite you to work on this lick and combine your usual slow repetition work with occasional speed bursts. Maybe try both techniques in the same practise session or do one session with slower reps and maybe a shorter speed bursts session (say 5 or 10 mins) later the same day ? Or even alternate the different approaches on different days.

For anyone who missed my explanation of speed bursts, please see here:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=608693

Ok, so as usual, I don't mind about overall speed. It's more about making some progress and adding and adding to your overall hand co ordination abilities. Also, I'd really like this to help boost your 'outside picking' techniques too as I find that this technique often holds people back because of a psychological barrier. Speed bursts can force you to break through that barrier and abandon it which is important in overcoming hurdles smile.gif

Enjoy !!

Deadline is next Friday 19th October

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Oct 12 2012, 04:07 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zoom
Oct 12 2012, 02:53 PM
Learning Roadie
Are we doing lick 24. I've got a feeling we've done this a few months back? Task 19

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 12 2012, 03:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (zoom @ Oct 12 2012, 02:53 PM) *
Are we doing lick 24. I've got a feeling we've done this a few months back? Task 19

You're correct ! My mistake.... tongue.gif

I shall change it wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 12 2012, 04:11 PM
Instructor
Ok, please see the amended Task instead. smile.gif

+Quote Post
mad
Oct 17 2012, 08:39 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Here's my take. I worked the past 5 days on it as a post-warmup routine. At first I wasn't even able to remember the pattern tongue.gif

http://soundcloud.com/mad-gmc/bt37-82bpm

I hope that's what you had in mind with "speed" bursts?!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 18 2012, 09:34 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (mad @ Oct 17 2012, 08:39 PM) *
Here's my take. I worked the past 5 days on it as a post-warmup routine. At first I wasn't even able to remember the pattern tongue.gif

http://soundcloud.com/mad-gmc/bt37-82bpm

I hope that's what you had in mind with "speed" bursts?!

Greetings Mad ! Nice work, sounding quite clean smile.gif

Yes, you've got the idea although I would do it a little differently. These licks are in groups of six and are meant to be played in triplet fashion when doing it faster - 12,3,4,5,6 etc.. although you can do it as straight 8th notes or 16ths of course.

What I would do is set the drum beat slower so you can do the full triplet pace instead. Maybe 60-70bpm ? So for the first slower reps you can play it like straight 16th notes (so it would sound like it does when you did them faster on your take here) and then speed it up as triplets for the faster reps.

It's like our friend PG does here (but not as fast). Here the straight 4/4 feel of the 16th notes at first before he adds some fast 16th note triplets to it smile.gif

You've netted yourself a Donut, Sir ! cool.gif

+Quote Post
mad
Oct 18 2012, 01:10 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
njam, thank you!

here is another recording I just made, it should match that triplet fashion..

http://soundcloud.com/mad-gmc/bt37-115bpm-triplets

+Quote Post
zoom
Oct 19 2012, 01:44 PM
Learning Roadie
Hello - Found this really tricky this week and not sure I've delivered it well. I've played 16th notes and then 16th note triplets. I've always found triplets hard for some reason. And I had to really slow down and count the 16th notes cause they're in a 6 note pattern. I hope this is what was required.
slowing back down from the triplets was really hard also.

http://soundcloud.com/zoomify/speed-burst

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 19 2012, 02:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (zoom @ Oct 19 2012, 01:44 PM) *
Hello - Found this really tricky this week and not sure I've delivered it well. I've played 16th notes and then 16th note triplets. I've always found triplets hard for some reason. And I had to really slow down and count the 16th notes cause they're in a 6 note pattern. I hope this is what was required.
slowing back down from the triplets was really hard also.

http://soundcloud.com/zoomify/speed-burst

That's the idea Zoom. You also don't have to play the whole sequence through before adding triplets. You could just do 2 reps of straight 16ths and add one triplet rep at the end.. a bit like PG does in the video. Or as many triplet reps. You can do that with just one shape before moving to the shape on the B & G strings.

But yes, you guys have got the gist of it. I can still hear room for improvement with picking co ordination yet ! smile.gif

Well done, guys ! Dare you take a peak at what DeGroot has assigned you as the next Task ?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:24 PM