Home Recording, My home recording woes
Stratman58
May 28 2007, 05:05 PM
GMC:er
Hey all smile.gif

This issue has been concerning my awhile. Apart from being the lead guitarist for my band, I'm also the recording dude. Can't say I've had much experience in multitrack recording software in the past, and I struggle a bit with it. First off, a little background in what I use...

Recording Hardware:

Omega Lexicon

and...

PodXt Live

record on a IBM thinkpad laptop (768mb ram, 40gb hard drive, centrino 1.6ghz... no latency really w/Asio)

A realistic mic for my drummer. I probably don't use the best method of making a track for him either, as I just kinda suspend the mic over his whole drumset. But my problem really is in the guitar/bass recordings.

software:
Cubase LE (came bundled with Omega Lexicon; a selling point for me when I bought it)

I often use my PodXt Live board to do direct digital recording now, since it is my new toy smile.gif . I just plug the guitars and bass through it and record away. I also like it because of the onboard effects that the lexicon Omega lacks; If I want effects when recording through the lexicon, I have to apply them via Cubase. This is messy, because there is a little latency if I want to monitor my effects as I record, which I prefer (even though there is an asio driver).

So my main problem is this: What my sound is like coming out of my amp, is not what it sounds like coming out after a cubase recording (everything sounds relatively muffled and the such. Nothing is really live or crisp). Granted, I don't do much in the software to try to fix this, as it's really beyond me at the moment; I'm good at pressing the red record button blink.gif .

So a good answer would be mic your amps! Can't. Don't really have a good place to record with mic. Garage is the best place, and can't say acoustics are all that great in there, especially when I get the occasional bird chirping in the background from micing in my drummer.

I'll probably post a cover tune of Hendrix - Angel sometime today so you can hear an example. Any help with this issue would be much appreciated!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Stratman58: May 28 2007, 05:06 PM

--------------------
God said "Let there be LIGHT"
and Chuck Norris said "Say Please"

Gear:
Ibanez RG Prestige 1570 Mirage Blue
Fender Mexican Strat HSS Arctic White
G&L Climax Marble body (Found my Gotoh trem bar!)
Crate GT1200H Half Stack
PodXTLive board
Ibanez delay and chorus tank pedals
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 28 2007, 08:05 PM
Moderation Policy Director
How do you make the connection from your guitar/amp to the Lexicon? Line out?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Stratman58
May 28 2007, 10:28 PM
I use the front lower-left quarter inch jack. So in that picture of it its at the bottom left. Parallel with the monitor input, on the right.

--------------------

Gear:
Crate GT1200H Half Stack
PodXTLive board

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 28 2007, 11:15 PM
QUOTE (Stratman58 @ May 28 2007, 05:28 PM) *
I use the front lower-left quarter inch jack. So in that picture of it its at the bottom left. Parallel with the monitor input, on the right.

Right, but what is at the other end? Your AMP? Your guitar directly? Output from some sort of mixer?

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Stratman58
May 28 2007, 11:38 PM
Sorry; misread. I plug my guitar in directly to the input

--------------------

Gear:
Crate GT1200H Half Stack
PodXTLive board

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 28 2007, 11:51 PM
QUOTE (Stratman58 @ May 28 2007, 06:38 PM) *
Sorry; misread. I plug my guitar in directly to the input

Ok, assuming you got the levels correct (those inputs often have instrument level and line level, you would need instrument level for the guitar), you then have a situation where you are recording the dry sound of the guitar with no effects. When you put it through your amp, the ampo itself is a kind of effect because it adds coloration to the sound that is characteristic of the amp, and is a big part of the sound you make. A guitar on its own by contrast will sound gutless and a little too clean. This is why your PodXT has AMP simulations - to generate that kind of character electronicaly to give you a better sound. You have a few possibilities:

1. Mic up your amp as you said
2. Use your pod to record your guitar, with some nice AMP modelling effect
3. Use an amp modelling plugin in Cubase - there are quite a few around.

Let me know if that makes sense or if I have misunderstood the question ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Stratman58
May 28 2007, 11:58 PM
Yeah, I never looked at it that way; that the amp is coloring the sound up. Makes sense.

I've been recording mostly through my Podxt live although, and the sound is still a little on the dull side when it has been recorded onto the computer (as opposed to headphones through the Podxt which sounds excellent). I guess its just a matter of tweaking around in cubase.

Also andrew... I see in your sig that you own all the model packs for the podxtl....how is the metal pack or more specifically, the JCM 900? I love the JCM 800, and I see that they threw in some more marshall's with that model pack smile.gif

--------------------

Gear:
Crate GT1200H Half Stack
PodXTLive board

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 29 2007, 02:16 AM
QUOTE (Stratman58 @ May 28 2007, 06:58 PM) *
Yeah, I never looked at it that way; that the amp is coloring the sound up. Makes sense.

I've been recording mostly through my Podxt live although, and the sound is still a little on the dull side when it has been recorded onto the computer (as opposed to headphones through the Podxt which sounds excellent). I guess its just a matter of tweaking around in cubase.

It should sound identical - are you playing it back through the Pod as well?

QUOTE (Stratman58 @ May 28 2007, 06:58 PM) *
Also andrew... I see in your sig that you own all the model packs for the podxtl....how is the metal pack or more specifically, the JCM 900? I love the JCM 800, and I see that they threw in some more marshall's with that model pack smile.gif

Nice - its like the 800 but with a little more attitude. Very up front sound, but not as heavy/distorted as say the Spinal Puppet model.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Igorrr
May 30 2007, 01:37 AM
It depends headphones and the line outputs can sound different. It depends what the output mode is set to. Headphones are ALWAYS in Studio mode, so check that. You should record using Studio Mode.

Concerning the drums one Mic will really sound bad!!! Right now also because we do not have the Room, the Mics the preamps we are using DFHS (Drumkit from Hell Superior / Toontrack) for the Drum recordings (using triggers on what the drummer played).
It's cheating ... hehehe ... but nobody has to know... But seriously if you can manage more microphones will make all the difference. At least 2 for overhead... if you could single out bass and snare you'll already have a much better sounds for drums.

+Quote Post
Stratman58
May 31 2007, 04:34 AM
Okay, this was probably the stupidest thing I've ever done...

Get this, Cubase was picking up what I was playing through the Mic in the laptop! I didn't even know my laptop had a mic! I could have swore when I was setting up devices I had select the PodXT Live....must not have saved.

So what I was hearing on the tracks that were recorded was the mic picking up my amp (used my amp as a monitor at the time).
DUR DAH DUR!

Go ahead and laugh at my stupidity. I did after I banged my head on the desk a couple of times smile.gif

--------------------

Gear:
Crate GT1200H Half Stack
PodXTLive board

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 31 2007, 01:10 PM
QUOTE (Stratman58 @ May 30 2007, 11:34 PM) *
Okay, this was probably the stupidest thing I've ever done...

Get this, Cubase was picking up what I was playing through the Mic in the laptop! I didn't even know my laptop had a mic! I could have swore when I was setting up devices I had select the PodXT Live....must not have saved.

So what I was hearing on the tracks that were recorded was the mic picking up my amp (used my amp as a monitor at the time).
DUR DAH DUR!

Go ahead and laugh at my stupidity. I did after I banged my head on the desk a couple of times smile.gif

I would never laugh, I'm extremely glad that you found a good explanation for the problem, makes a lot of sense, well done.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:48 PM