Learning Another Scale
Sofatso
Nov 27 2008, 09:10 PM
GMC:er
Most of my playing revolves around the blues, and for soloing I use the blues scale mixed, I guess, with some notes from the major pentatonic scale. What other scale would be most useful to know for situations when the blues scale just doesn't fit?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jesse
Nov 27 2008, 09:27 PM
Major scale and it' s modes:D

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Nov 27 2008, 09:32 PM
Instructor
The most common and useful scales for me (and Mark Levine tongue.gif)

- Major scale
- Melodic minor
- Whole-tone scale
- Diminished (8 note scale)
- Pentatonic

Obviously every mode in those scales.

biggrin.gif

Once you've mastered those I think your scale languaje is pretty good.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Jesse
Nov 27 2008, 09:36 PM
pretty good he says,. If youre into metal and neclassical, leanr the harmonic minor scales:D

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Nov 27 2008, 09:40 PM
Instructor
You're right I forgot the harmonic minor for the Yngwie fans biggrin.gif

By the way, I'm working on a series about different scales but I say no more I don't want to ruin the surprise tongue.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 27 2008, 10:48 PM
Instructor
Minor pentatonic and dorian mode should be good places to start mate. Also you should start learning all the modes gradually as well.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 28 2008, 12:01 AM
Instructor
It's all said. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 28 2008, 12:19 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 27 2008, 10:48 PM) *
Minor pentatonic and dorian mode should be good places to start mate. Also you should start learning all the modes gradually as well.

As far as minor pentatonic goes, I think phrygian and aeolian is also quite viable.

+Quote Post
Sofatso
Nov 28 2008, 04:54 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I asked the question because I’m pretty familiar with the first two boxes of the major scale, yet when I play the major scale in the right key up or down to simple country music, it doesn’t sound right. It sounds like a couple of notes should be eliminated. When I feel around and avoid a couple of notes, it sounds a lot better. Is there a pattern I‘m unaware of, are there some notes of the major scale that are normally avoided? I suppose I’ll continue learning all the boxes of the major scale and figure out why I’m doing that later.

Maybe it’s a function of the blues music native to my head, but when I play the minor pentatonic or blues scale up or down to appropriate backing tracks, it sounds right just as it is.

For bonus points, can someone please tell me what scale the guitar soloist is mixing in occasionally with the F# minor pentatonic about half way through Tracy Chapman’s Give Me One Reason? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEi068wMuHs

Thanks.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 28 2008, 02:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sofatso @ Nov 28 2008, 04:54 AM) *
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I asked the question because I’m pretty familiar with the first two boxes of the major scale, yet when I play the major scale in the right key up or down to simple country music, it doesn’t sound right. It sounds like a couple of notes should be eliminated. When I feel around and avoid a couple of notes, it sounds a lot better. Is there a pattern I‘m unaware of, are there some notes of the major scale that are normally avoided? I suppose I’ll continue learning all the boxes of the major scale and figure out why I’m doing that later.

Maybe it’s a function of the blues music native to my head, but when I play the minor pentatonic or blues scale up or down to appropriate backing tracks, it sounds right just as it is.

For bonus points, can someone please tell me what scale the guitar soloist is mixing in occasionally with the F# minor pentatonic about half way through Tracy Chapman’s Give Me One Reason? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEi068wMuHs

Thanks.

Yes,I believe it has to do with your relation with Blues and Country music
and very often use of Pentatonic scales there.
Major Pentatonic Scale is nothing but Major scale with few notes eliminated.
In Major Scale those notes are 4th and 7th,throw that out and you've got Major Pentatonic.
Same thing with Minor scale,different degrees tho,throw out 2nd and 6th
and you've got yourself Minor Pentatonic Scale.

But playing straight Pentatonic isn't enough,even for Blues and Country.
Good evidence for that is the link you posted,
guitar player is playing F# minor pentatonic but he's bending note A to note A# all the time,
it's some kind of blend between F# minor and F# major,since chord is F# major not minor.
So notes are F#,A,A#,B,C# and E.
Now,this scale maybe has its own name but I prefer to call it
minor pentatonic with extra added major 3rd.
This is very simple approach to whole matter tho.
You can add even note D#,it'll work nice over B chord in progression.

Let me know if I missed something. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Sofatso
Nov 29 2008, 05:52 AM
Thanks again.
You've kind of confirmed what I thought about the value of scales. Learn them well, then play around with them, then use what you've played around with in solos whenever it sounds right. Mix and match "what you've played around with" from the different scales whenever it sounds right.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 29 2008, 03:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sofatso @ Nov 29 2008, 05:52 AM) *
Thanks again.
You've kind of confirmed what I thought about the value of scales. Learn them well, then play around with them, then use what you've played around with in solos whenever it sounds right. Mix and match "what you've played around with" from the different scales whenever it sounds right.

Yes,if it sounds right then you've got it. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:39 AM