Locking Tuners
Matt23
Jul 22 2009, 04:06 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I've just found out what locking tuners actually are, but there's something I still want to know about them that I can't find anywhere.

If you have a guitar with a fixed bridge, and no locking tuners, and you tune it down half a step will it stay there on the first tuning, or will you have to keep tuning down several times before it settles into the new tuning. If it would need to be tuned down several times before it settled, would locking tuners fix the problem.

Matt smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jul 22 2009, 04:20 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Jul 22 2009, 04:06 PM) *
I've just found out what locking tuners actually are, but there's something I still want to know about them that I can't find anywhere.

If you have a guitar with a fixed bridge, and no locking tuners, and you tune it down half a step will it stay there on the first tuning, or will you have to keep tuning down several times before it settles into the new tuning. If it would need to be tuned down several times before it settled, would locking tuners fix the problem.

Matt smile.gif

If it has a fixed bridge it should just stay.....locking tuners or not. Locking tuners are more useful for a tremolo equipped guitar IMO.... smile.gif If the tremolo equipped guitar has a locking nut then locking tuners are overkill......IMO smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Toroso
Jul 22 2009, 04:23 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Jul 22 2009, 11:06 AM) *

Matt smile.gif

I would have to say it would help some. I think you will always have some string stretch from playing. What I know of locking tuners is that they lock the string to the post so that you don't have to make multiple wraps etc. At least that's the way my Sperzel locking tuners work. I had assumed that they would lock the post so that it would not turn. Other brands may do just that. IDK

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
berko
Jul 22 2009, 04:46 PM
On a fixed bridge guitar locking tuners only help when you change strings. You lock the strings, cut the loose end off and you tune up.

When doing alternate tunings you should ofc bare in mind that strings have to adjust to the new tension. So the answer is no, locking tuners won't help the guitar stay in tune when tuning down a half step. They still make retuning about 1/3 the time than average smile.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 22 2009, 04:48 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (berko @ Jul 22 2009, 04:46 PM) *
On a fixed bridge guitar locking tuners only help when you change strings. You lock the strings, cut the loose end off and you tune up.

When doing alternate tunings you should ofc bare in mind that strings have to adjust to the new tension. So the answer is no, locking tuners won't help the guitar stay in tune when tuning down a half step. They still make retuning about 1/3 the time than average smile.gif

So you'll be able to change tunings quicker with locking tuners than without?

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 22 2009, 04:49 PM
Learning Tone Master
They are just like any other tuners, they don't lock your current tuning; they lock your string so you don't need to wrap the string arround the peg a few times to get tuning stability, you just put the string in, lock, tune and cut of the rest!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
berko
Jul 22 2009, 04:52 PM
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Jul 22 2009, 05:48 PM) *
So you'll be able to change tunings quicker with locking tuners than without?

Oops, sorry for the confusion, in the last sentence I wanted to write restringing . On a fixed bridge guitar that's the only improvement. On a guitar with tremolo you won't need locks at the nut and the tuning is more stable. On a fixed bridge guitar the locking tuners don't affect tuning stability.

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Jul 22 2009, 08:17 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I'm really killing myself then. I have locking tuners on two guitars and I lock them down, but then still wrap. I use the locking tuner to keep the string from slipping when I am wrapping. **shrug**

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
sted
Jul 22 2009, 09:29 PM
Learning Rock Star
My LP has locking tuners, cant say i notice that it stays in tune any better than my other guitars, once the strings are starting to stretch it still goes out, and I still wrap too, I watched a Danny Gatton dvd and he said "Always wrap as much string as possible" if he says its the thing to do, thats reason enough for me!

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 23 2009, 12:19 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Locking tuners won't make downtuning any faster, but sure make changing strings a bit faster. I've got them on my strat, and love them. It rarely goes out of tune.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 23 2009, 12:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Jul 22 2009, 09:17 PM) *
I'm really killing myself then. I have locking tuners on two guitars and I lock them down, but then still wrap. I use the locking tuner to keep the string from slipping when I am wrapping. **shrug**

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jul 23 2009, 11:34 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Jul 22 2009, 08:17 PM) *

Hehe, I did the same thing too when I had my first locking tuners-equipped guitar biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Ivan Zecic
Jul 24 2009, 10:32 AM
There should be no difference when switching to a different tuning.

QUOTE (sted @ Jul 22 2009, 10:29 PM) *
I watched a Danny Gatton dvd and he said "Always wrap as much string as possible" if he says its the thing to do, thats reason enough for me!

I read a lot about it and I've never heard of that. When I had standard tuners on my strat I would wrap as little string as possible (like one and a half turn, sth crazy for standard tuners), so SOMETIMES it even slipped for a while (a couple of hours) before it settled in place, but when it settled, it stayed in tune perfectly!!! I couldn't make it go out of tune. A couple of months ago I got Wilkinson locking tuners, which are great, but I haven't noticed that they were any better than standard tuners I had, because standard ones were so good with only a couple of wrap arounds!

And I wrap as little as possible on my Les Paul (vintage tuners), and it really stays in tune no matter how hard I bend!

--------------------
Check out my lessons!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 26 2009, 01:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (sted @ Jul 22 2009, 10:29 PM) *
My LP has locking tuners, cant say i notice that it stays in tune any better than my other guitars, once the strings are starting to stretch it still goes out, and I still wrap too, I watched a Danny Gatton dvd and he said "Always wrap as much string as possible" if he says its the thing to do, thats reason enough for me!

Yeah, Danny has a point, more wraps do help with staying in tune
but you need to be aware of how you warp as well, not just how much.
If you warp sloppy with lots of overlapping it might causes you troubles. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Ivan Zecic
Jul 26 2009, 02:43 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jul 26 2009, 02:30 PM) *
Yeah, Danny has a point, more wraps do help with staying in tune
but you need to be aware of how you warp as well, not just how much.
If you warp sloppy with lots of overlapping it might causes you troubles. smile.gif

Then I guess it's not how many wraps you do, but HOW you wrap them...

--------------------
Check out my lessons!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 26 2009, 02:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Zecic @ Jul 26 2009, 03:43 PM) *
Then I guess it's not how many wraps you do, but HOW you wrap them...

I guess it's about how AND how many...

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Jul 26 2009, 03:33 PM
Instructor
On the other hand Dave Erlewine says the more wraps worse tunning as you are wrapping/unwrepping as you bend,
I got Locking tunner on my Carvin and it nevers go out of tune, even leaving the guitar for a week the tunning stays the same.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Zecic
Jul 26 2009, 10:07 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jul 26 2009, 03:52 PM) *
I guess it's about how AND how many...

Well, some guys say it's better to wind as much as possible and some guys say it's better to do the opposite. I wind it as little as possible, but I keep it as tight as possible all the time; while you wrap as much as possible, also keeping it tight and we get the same result! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:04 AM