Natural Disaster Zones
Ben Higgins
Feb 12 2012, 11:59 AM
Instructor
Hey guys, I was watching a documentary last night about Pompeii, the Roman city that was wiped out by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in AD 79 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pompeii

It's a really fascinating story if you don't know about it already. However, today it got me thinking. Even though this disaster took place back in history, Mount Vesuvius is still there, sat in the background. In fact, people live all over the world with massive, intimidating volcanoes as part of the landscape where they live.

So, I just wondered if any of you live in an area which is in close proximity to either a volcano or somewhere that is prone to natural disaster. I know New Zealand has volcanoes, California has the San Andreas fault. Have these elements influenced or affected the way people live there ? Or is it just something that you're aware of but it doesn't really have any real emotional influence.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 12 2012, 02:04 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 12 2012, 11:59 AM) *
Hey guys, I was watching a documentary last night about Pompeii, the Roman city that was wiped out by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in AD 79 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pompeii

It's a really fascinating story if you don't know about it already. However, today it got me thinking. Even though this disaster took place back in history, Mount Vesuvius is still there, sat in the background. In fact, people live all over the world with massive, intimidating volcanoes as part of the landscape where they live.

So, I just wondered if any of you live in an area which is in close proximity to either a volcano or somewhere that is prone to natural disaster. I know New Zealand has volcanoes, California has the San Andreas fault. Have these elements influenced or affected the way people live there ? Or is it just something that you're aware of but it doesn't really have any real emotional influence.

tornado alley for me, I used to live in california and earth quakes are nothing compared to a force that will lick the concrete clean of the house
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF_fva-MCMw
make sure you see the stills at the end

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Feb 12 2012, 01:59 PM) *
tornado alley for me, I used to live in california and earth quakes are nothing compared to a force that will lick the concrete clean of the house
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF_fva-MCMw
make sure you see the stills at the end

here is another one ,whole town gone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yZbWO1QXRk

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Feb 12 2012, 02:14 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 12 2012, 10:59 AM) *

Cadiz is in an earthquake zone and we get a quite a few. It affects things like building regulations and construction directly- any new building has to be earthquake proof, and that means pretty much everything is built with heavy reinforced concrete. People though just get on with life though and you get pretty used to switching on the news to see some story of an old building that has collapsed in a tremor.

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Feb 12 2012, 01:04 PM) *

Not as bad as tornados where you are jstcrsn but the Cadiz coastline near Tarifa is well known for the winds they get - the Levanter. There's a lot of stories round here and even a couple of sayings about how that wind can drive you nuts.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 12 2012, 02:59 PM
Learning Roadie
I live in Arkansas of the USA. We have had tornadoes go all around us before. I am so thankful we have not been hit in our little town. But sadly other little towns around us have. sad.gif That is all we really deal with as far natural disasters go...unless you want to count the ice storms we have had.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 14 2012, 11:11 AM
Instructor
Wow, those tornados are extreme. I can't believe some people even step outside during that ! ohmy.gif

I never heard of those 'green flashes' before.. it sounds terrifying to be honest !

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Feb 12 2012, 01:14 PM) *
Not as bad as tornados where you are jstcrsn but the Cadiz coastline near Tarifa is well known for the winds they get - the Levanter. There's a lot of stories round here and even a couple of sayings about how that wind can drive you nuts.

The Levanter was mentioned in the book, The Alchemist. I always find it fascintating when people give a special name to a natural phenomenon. It gives it a legend and a degree of intimdation.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 15 2012, 05:41 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
Earthquakes and Volcanoes here as this part of Alaska is within the Pacific Ring of Fire. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Ring_of_Fire In the 25+ years I have lived here I have only witnessed ash fallout twice from volcanoes in the vicinity. Small earthquakes are a common occurance http://www.aeic.alaska.edu/seis/recenteqs/index.html and some years ago there was a 7.9 I believe it was, forunately this happened in a very remote part of the state so damage was limited. I was standing in my garage at the time with a friend and we were watching my car roll back and forth and looked up at the floor joists for the second story and noticed the whole house was swaying as well. We didnt take any chances and went outside but the rolling stopped soon after that thankfully.The quake was strong enough to bring down a sizable chunk of a couple mountainsides and spill it across and down a glacier. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqi...ew/DCP_0640.JPG
I used to live in tornado alley back when I was in Junior high School so I have witnessed tornadoes as well as awesome lightning storms. I was in Wichita Falls Texas on Terrible Tuesday April 10th 1979 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bKDQTPt22w Luckily no damage on the North side of town where we lived , We and a bunch of our neighbors went into our storm shelter which was a mostly burried concrete shelter. When we went down there was massive hail and the whole ordeal was pretty scary.But to this day I still miss the rolling thunderstorms of Texas, I used to sleep like a baby durring them.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 15 2012, 10:00 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 15 2012, 04:41 AM) *
Earthquakes and Volcanoes here as this part of Alaska is within the Pacific Ring of Fire. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Ring_of_Fire In the 25+ years I have lived here I have only witnessed ash fallout twice from volcanoes in the vicinity. Small earthquakes are a common occurance http://www.aeic.alaska.edu/seis/recenteqs/index.html and some years ago there was a 7.9 I believe it was, forunately this happened in a very remote part of the state so damage was limited. I was standing in my garage at the time with a friend and we were watching my car roll back and forth and looked up at the floor joists for the second story and noticed the whole house was swaying as well. We didnt take any chances and went outside but the rolling stopped soon after that thankfully.The quake was strong enough to bring down a sizable chunk of a couple mountainsides and spill it across and down a glacier. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqi...ew/DCP_0640.JPG
I used to live in tornado alley back when I was in Junior high School so I have witnessed tornadoes as well as awesome lightning storms. I was in Wichita Falls Texas on Terrible Tuesday April 10th 1979 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bKDQTPt22w Luckily no damage on the North side of town where we lived , We and a bunch of our neighbors went into our storm shelter which was a mostly burried concrete shelter. When we went down there was massive hail and the whole ordeal was pretty scary.But to this day I still miss the rolling thunderstorms of Texas, I used to sleep like a baby durring them.

Wow, I watched the video about '79 tornado. Can't imagine how that must have felt to people... scares the hell outta me just watching.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Feb 15 2012, 10:47 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 14 2012, 10:11 AM) *
Wow, those tornados are extreme. I can't believe some people even step outside during that ! ohmy.gif

I never heard of those 'green flashes' before.. it sounds terrifying to be honest !

The Levanter was mentioned in the book, The Alchemist. I always find it fascintating when people give a special name to a natural phenomenon. It gives it a legend and a degree of intimdation.

It's also mentioned in a song by the neuvo flamenco group Breed 77 and gets a few other name checks in Spanish books and stories smile.gif.

Calling things by a special name is a form of anthropomorphism, something which people do a lot of. I once had to refer/fail a PhD on Heidegger and Jean-Luc Nancy partly because of this - someone doing a PhD on this really needs to understand Presence, Being and being rolleyes.gif .

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 15 2012, 07:24 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 14 2012, 07:41 PM) *

I just wanted to add that to me it seems that where ever you may live ,there is something that can that Mother Nature can throw at you.
Whether it be Severe Storms, Eathquakes,Volcanoes,Floods, Fires or Famine, There really is no place that is 100% safe, After all it is a violent planet.

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Feb 16 2012, 12:52 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Germany is pretty much a safe place, though some floods can happen in the North and East. Not much real danger in the Southwest were I live now. There are always some rumors about big volcanoes deep under the surface that might go off one day, but it's not a real threat.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Bossie
Feb 19 2012, 11:18 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Feb 16 2012, 12:52 PM) *
Germany is pretty much a safe place, though some floods can happen in the North and East. Not much real danger in the Southwest were I live now. There are always some rumors about big volcanoes deep under the surface that might go off one day, but it's not a real threat.

Yes a couple of weeks i saw an article about the German volcano under the Lacher see ( lake)...it erupts every 12000 years and it's overdue now.. huh.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 20 2012, 05:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Feb 16 2012, 11:52 AM) *

Yeah I remember those insane floods down at Regensberg about a couple of years ago !

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:51 AM