Guitarrero Mtp Thread, Mar-2010
Lian Gerbino
Mar 9 2010, 11:13 PM
Instructor
Hi Chris, this is your MTP thread for March.
we start working on rhythmic guitar. I've chosen this old but cool lesson to start, I think you can play it without big problems because it's lower than your current level, but I want to be sure about your palm muting and timing.
about timing: this is the most important thing in music man, no matter style, instrument, or if you are just singing alone on the road back home...
one thing I always said to my students, or even to my band's mates, is: "use the whole duration of every note before to play the next one"
so, pay attention on that while you're playing and don't run after the next notes.

no more to add here, let the Mtp begins!
feel free to ask for anything you need!

Auf Wiedersehen!

Assignment 1:
Epic Metal Rhythm

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Lian Gerbino: Mar 12 2010, 01:10 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Lian_Gerbino___Epic_Metal_BT.mp3 ( 815.82K ) Number of downloads: 5

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Gitarrero
Mar 10 2010, 08:51 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi Lian,
that's a great lesson! It's been in my bookmarks for a couple of weeks, but I never really started it. Wanna know why? I'm one of these poor guys who can't make a pinch harmonic!!
I have some free time this afternoon and will record this lesson. Which reminds me, can you send me the backing track please?
!Hasta luego!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Mar 10 2010, 10:07 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi Lian,
I've been practicing the lesson this afternoon, so when you send me the backing track I'll record it tomorrow. It gave me a few minoir problems plus the big problem that I still am unable to do pinch hamronics...but you'll see tomorrow.
Still, as I wanted to try my new webcam I decided to re-record the Slayer and the Rammstein lesson. I hope that at least the Slayer lesson is good enough for the REC program. What do you think?
See ya!
Christian

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Mar 12 2010, 01:26 AM
Instructor
awesome man, sorry for delay, my computer died yesterday so I had to format it.
I've added to the first post the BT for the assignment 1. don't worry about P.H. if you don't get it, you can just play the note without that P.H.
I'll watch these vids you uploaded and then I will comment what I think of them.

bye for now!

well man, both lessons are far better! about the Slayer one, I'd give an 8 or 9, no big problems in there, just some unwanted noises. about the Rammstein one, I'm still felling some notes out of tune, specially on the low E string. timing is much better, but from 00.37 to 00.51, that part needs a little bit more of work.

both are good enough for the Rec, I'd upload them. wink.gif

Lian!

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Mar 12 2010, 01:23 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi Lian,
I'm glad you liked the two re-recorded lessons. I'll upload the slayer lesson to the REC forum but will make another try at the Rammstein lesson. I think I'm pushing the strings to hard so they sound out of tune.
I recorded the Epic Metal lesson a few minutes ago and left the pinch harmonics, though I was finally able to produce one after some tries. But it distracted me too much so I messed up the follwing part wink.gif
I realised while watching the video that I mute with my left and right hand at the same time...hope that's not too bad.
So, here's the video, hope to hear from you soon!

This post has been edited by Gitarrero: Mar 12 2010, 01:23 PM

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Mar 16 2010, 12:20 PM
Instructor
well man, you did a great job on this one.
timing is great, and passages between powerchords sound really tight and powerful.
I'm still hearing some notes out of tune, specially while you are playing Bb5 or over the 1st fret. definitively, must be the fact you are pressing the strings so much in that place. pay attention on that.
also, I think your sound needs more drive/gain, for example: it's very difficult to get cool pinched harmonics without a heavy sound.
if you cannot get a better sound for recording, we can still focusing on your technique, timing, etc.
this first assignment is completed, beside this tiny details I've mentioned, you did I great job on this one and it let me see some of the things you need to work on.

so, I will start your second assignment.

Lian!

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Mar 16 2010, 02:16 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi Lian,
great to hear from you. I'm really glad you liked my take! Is it good enough for the REC-section?? I'm a bit frustrated right now because the new Slayer-take I submitted didn't pass either (maybe you've seen that).
As I use a V-amp 3 (should be quite similar to a POD) I have lots of options to get more gain, I'll look into that. I will also use another guitar (Ibanez) for the next assignment, as I have the feeling that it stays in tune much better, especially with a lower tuning. I also think the sound is a bit more powerful.
I'm really looking forward to the next assignment!
Christian

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Mar 22 2010, 08:50 PM
Instructor
well man, are you ready for the second assignment? I hope so!

this time we still continue in the line of the previous assignment, and we will still focusing of rhythm and timing mainly. In this one, we also got some interesting palm muting combination that I think will be very useful for your playing right now.

I'll upload the BT asap smile.gif

Assignment 2:
Folkish Rhapsody

This post has been edited by Lian Gerbino: Mar 25 2010, 09:08 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Lian_Gerbino___Folkish_Rhapsody_BT.mp3 ( 1006.02K ) Number of downloads: 4

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Mar 22 2010, 09:00 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
That's a very cool assignment, I never listened to folk metal before, but it sounds really amazing!
I think I'm gonna record this one on wednesday, this is usually my guitar day where I have a couple of hours time to not just practice but to record and mix stuff as well.
See ya!

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Mar 22 2010, 09:01 PM
Instructor
cool man, nice to hear you like it! have fun practising! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Mar 22 2010, 09:19 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
I'm checking out the most recent records of Ensiferum and Eluveitie right now, I'm gonna buy one of these for sure now! I think "Everything remains..." by Eluveitie is going to be the winner. Thanks for introducing me to this style!

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Mar 23 2010, 12:40 AM
Instructor
yeah, both are good albums, also, if you got some time, check Turisas albums out. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Mar 24 2010, 12:58 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hey Lian,
I'd love to record this lesson today, would be cool if you could uplaod the BT!
Thanks!

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Mar 25 2010, 09:27 PM
Instructor
well man, BT's up now. sorry for delay, I was so busy yesterday. hope to watch your take soon.

Lian!

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Mar 26 2010, 10:33 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi Lian, thanks for the BT.
I'm at my girlfriends place now for the weekend and I don't have a chance to make a decent record here...I'll try to record the sound and video with a digital camera, if this doesn't work I'll submit the take on monday.
By the way, I bought the latest albums of Eluveitie, Ensiferum and Turisas via iTunes. They are so great, thanks a lot for introducing me to this style!
I've also been practicing your Kamelot lesson this week, don't know if you have planned it for one of the next assignments, but I'd sure love to have the BT for this one. I'm going to see Kamelot live in two weeks, I'm so excited!
Another thing (since your my mentor wink.gif ): Do you have any suggestions on how I should practice? e.g. right now I start with some warm-up exercises from Marcus' lesson, then I play some lessons I already mastered, and then I work on one or two lessons I haven't masteres yet. Is this the right way to go?
Christian

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Mar 29 2010, 09:35 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
So, here is my take now, the guitar sounds out of tune in some parts, I'm gonna buy new strings tomorrow. By the wy, shall I take thicker ones (I've got 10 - 46 now)?
Here we go:

This post has been edited by Gitarrero: Mar 29 2010, 09:55 PM

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Mar 30 2010, 12:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Mar 26 2010, 06:33 AM) *
Hi Lian, thanks for the BT.
I'm at my girlfriends place now for the weekend and I don't have a chance to make a decent record here...I'll try to record the sound and video with a digital camera, if this doesn't work I'll submit the take on monday.
By the way, I bought the latest albums of Eluveitie, Ensiferum and Turisas via iTunes. They are so great, thanks a lot for introducing me to this style!
I've also been practicing your Kamelot lesson this week, don't know if you have planned it for one of the next assignments, but I'd sure love to have the BT for this one. I'm going to see Kamelot live in two weeks, I'm so excited!
Another thing (since your my mentor wink.gif ): Do you have any suggestions on how I should practice? e.g. right now I start with some warm-up exercises from Marcus' lesson, then I play some lessons I already mastered, and then I work on one or two lessons I haven't masteres yet. Is this the right way to go?
Christian

well, great to hear you bought these albums, and yes, they are great smile.gif

about practice:
Marcus' lesson for warming up is a very good choice. and all the way you go looks fine for me.
may you can add some specific etudes for an special day. that's what I do. for example:

Monday: I do some warming up, some lessons, and I focus meself on Legato.
Tuesday: the same but focusing on alternate picking stuff
and so on...
so, on this way you are letting your muscles rest, since each technique requires different muscles. so, like when you are at the gym (not my case I give u my word XD)

QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Mar 29 2010, 05:35 PM) *
So, here is my take now, the guitar sounds out of tune in some parts, I'm gonna buy new strings tomorrow. By the wy, shall I take thicker ones (I've got 10 - 46 now)?
Here we go:

I can't see it, is it deleted?

sorry, now it works! I am watching it right now.

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Mar 30 2010, 01:20 AM
Instructor
well, man, nice take! there are some things to put an eye on:
beside things you mentioned, timing on part from 00.33 can be better.
also, pay attention on your alternate picking. while you're playing downstrokes they sound very cool, but when you have to change to the A.P. part, you miss timing, and it doesn't sound good.
a new take tomorrow would be awesome.

about strings:
try if you want 0.11, but I use 0.10 from ernie ball and they are great.

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Mar 30 2010, 05:58 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi Lian,
thanks for your feedback! Here is a new take:

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Mar 30 2010, 07:26 PM
Instructor
well man!!! much much much better!!! congrats. smile.gif still some missing notes at the A.P. part, so we will be paying attention on this technique from now on. but let me tell you that you've improved a lot in this second try. less noise, more power, MORE METAL! so, congrats.

as you said before you were playing the Kamelot lesson, I think that lesson could be the 3º assignment and after that, we could start out with some etudes more focused on techniques. then, we can go back to the lessons based on bands or songs.

so, in the Kamelot lesson, we got some A.P. among powerchords, and a melodic solo line, that will help me to see how you are in that area. and then we got a riff or verse part a little bit complex than previous assignments.
so, if you are agree, this will be our next step.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:02 PM