Introduction About Myself, Hello Everybody.
LWoodward92
Jan 9 2011, 04:11 PM
GMC:er
Hello everybody, I'm Luke and I'm from the UK. I'm 18 years old and finally plucked up the courage to actually attempt at learning the guitar. I got inspired by watching a few video's of people around my age and younger playing guitar on youtube and one of the members actually said he learnt from this site. So after much consideration I bought myself a starter guitar (Squire) and signed up on here! I checked out and learnt the very basics from a real nice guy on here (sorry forgot his name! tongue.gif) but he basically explained everything from how you carry it to playing Beatles - Hey Jude.

Anyway already over this Christmas I haven't had much time to play it so it's picking dust on it already just sat there! Yikes. Anyway as a new years resolution I want myself to learn and adapt more in playing such a fine instrument! The problem is I'm still an absolute beginner to it and I don't know how long I should spend on it and doing what. I love the video's on here, they are so thorough and informative but I would like to know how long I should spend doing it and what exactly?

I can play most basic chords apart from 1 or 2 where my finger seems to block out another string giving off a blunt sound. Then I gave changing chords a go but that seems impossible! tongue.gif I've got plenty of time to dedicate to it, I just don't know what I should be doing and how long for in order to improve?

By the way I'm into alot of Indie type music, british bands such as The Enemy, Kasabian, Oasis, The Beatles and abit of rock too such as Guns and Roses.

Thank you for such a user friendly site. Sorry if I've missed a few things out.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by LWoodward92: Jan 9 2011, 04:11 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jan 9 2011, 04:23 PM
well i think you spend as much as you need it depends from person to person, for example when i started i use to play between 1-3 hours/day.

and yah i recommend you dig the Beginner's Corner ( https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginners-Corner-1/ )till your finger bleed xD kidding

and also recommend this serie: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/lessonseries/First-Steps/

Welcome to GMC, anything just ask wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jan 9 2011, 04:28 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Fre
Jan 9 2011, 05:27 PM
Learning Rock Star
The time you should put in your instrument is totally up to you. Just play and keep motivated. Try to not make practise as a chore, but more as a relaxation. After long practise hours your fingers will get sore. Then stop and continue later. That's very normal in the beginning.
As for 'what to do', MonkeyDAthos said exactly as I would say.
So, good luck and welcome!!

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jan 9 2011, 05:37 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Welcome to GMC!
Another advice I can give you is: look for one (or a couple of) your favourite songs and learn how to play them. Not in every detail, yet, but so far that you can strum along to them.I think you'll find plenty of Oasis songs to start. This will keep you motivated, believe me.

Christian

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 9 2011, 05:48 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hello Luke! I'm really glad you made a resolution to start playing guitar. Check out First Steps series and Beginner's corner lessons to start with. Great thing is that you can always post here in the forum to ask for advice of any kind.

See you round,
Bogdan

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 9 2011, 06:49 PM
Instructor
Hi Luke and welcome to GMC smile.gif

That's great that you're deciding to really get into guitar. The brilliant thing is there is no wrong or right way to develop your playing. As long as it feels good to you and you're enjoying it, you will reap the benefits. It doesn't matter how long you practice as such, it's about giving your full attention to what you're doing when you are, if that makes sense smile.gif

We're all here to help as well... as the guys have said, check out Bear Rose's lessons... also, there are loads of lessons aimed at developing certain techniques for beginners... even if you're not necessarily into the heavier stuff or jazz, funk etc.. there's some great tips you can pick up to develop chords, timing and eventually things like vibrato and string bending. Enjoy ! smile.gif

Ben

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Jan 9 2011, 07:28 PM
Instructor
Hi Dogukan and welcome to GMC! My advice is to practice as much as you can, until you enjoy do it.
Bear's lessons are an awesome tools for beginners!

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 9 2011, 07:33 PM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC!

Pick lessons that interest you and suit your musical taste. And try them. You have the great advantage of having an instructor showing exactly how it's played. When I was learning I had to do everything by ear, which is also great, but having the instructors here will make the process go much quicker.

Maybe pick one song that you want to play and learn one lesson that's in the same style. That way you are doing similar work and progress steady.

Let us know of questions

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
LWoodward92
Jan 9 2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the reply's. I know lots of people have their own unique ways of learning and how they can see themselves improving or how long they spend on a certain thing. Regarding me though I'm just strumming chords feeling like I'm going nowhere. I know it requires patience and timing but sometimes I just think I'm not going to get as a far as changing chords. I just had myself a quick half hour and looking at Bear Rose's video's which are described brilliantly it still doesn't mention the best way to start changing chords. Is their a certain chord that your fingers can easily move onto? I know em only requires 2 fingers for example. Sorry if I seem a bit impatient, I'm trying not to be anyway! :-P I just need a certain router/timetable I could stick to. Thanks again guys, great community. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 11 2011, 11:45 PM
Instructor
Hey there mate, welcome to GMC! smile.gif

Regarding your progress, don't worry, it all seems impossible with guitar. Just play regularly, and you will spot results in weeks! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Jan 12 2011, 03:09 PM
Instructor
welcome to the site man, enjoy your stay! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 18 2011, 02:57 PM
Instructor
Hey and welcome to GMC! smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Mar 3 2011, 10:38 PM
GMC Coordinator & Instructor
Nice to have you around, man! smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

Check out my Personal Board

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:37 AM