Quick Licks #60 Blues Lick With Hammer/pulls
Todd Simpson
Dec 29 2018, 08:15 PM
GMC:er
Blues Scale Combined with Minor Scale with Bends and Hammer/Pulls!
This is a blues lick with some hammer on/pull off bits added in. Also we are combining the Blues scale and the Minor scale to create a bit of a hybrid type lick. This is something you can do with any scales that you like. You can blend parts of two scales together to come up with something that sounds unique and original instead of just playing the notes in the standard scale. It's all part of working toward your own "Style".Give this a shot!

Attached File  60fix.gp5 ( 1.64K ) Number of downloads: 10665

Attached Image

*NOTE: Keep it smooth and under control. If you find you are losing control, slow down just a pinch. If you want to add one take where you are pushing the edge for speed and get a bit wonky, that's perfectly fine.

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS: This is a great way to get used to combining both different scales and different techniques in to one lick.

Hit me up with any questions!
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 3 2019, 12:01 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Jan 6 2019, 07:09 PM
Learning Roadie

the link to this lick on the master thread is not working.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 7 2019, 08:19 PM
Nice!!! This one combines bending to pitch with hammer ons so it's an odd combo but it works well together. It does great for working on transitioning between techniques. Most drills focus on a single technique, it's important to try to create drills in your own practice that combine several techniques to allow you the chance to practice making the transition between them. It's being able to make this transition in a guitar solo that makes the solo sound smooth. Many times, folks get stuck on on technique, e.g. pinch harmonics, and require several beats before then lick to prepare and several after the lick to recover in a guitar solo. This can create odd gaps in ones soloing that don't always sound great. I'm not saying that you are guilty of this, just mentioning it as this is a combo lick and is great as preventing such things. Well played! You just..

LEVELED UP!!!

*Also you are still our TOP DAWG!!!! .... EVER..... In Quick Licks!

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (onetabmat @ Jan 6 2019, 02:09 PM) *

the link to this lick on the master thread is not working.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 7 2019, 08:20 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 19 2019, 07:47 PM
Learning Rock Star

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 1 2019, 06:54 AM
A great example of bending to tone. Bend is just right. You do it more than once to show that itt wasn't a fluke. Played smooth and in control the entire time. The switch from the bend to the scale bits was very slick. No pause for hand shift. Just slick as you please. Nice
You just...
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

Todd
[A great quote name='Caelumamittendum' date='Sep 19 2019, 02:47 PM' post='771345']
[/quote]

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 2 2019, 09:49 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Todd, I can see what you're doing in the video so it's not a big deal but the TAB and the GP5 file are incorrect unless I'm missing something.

The first note is bent on the 14th fret not the twelfth, also it sounds like a two fret not a two tone bend to my ears but my ears ain't that good so I could be blowing outta my ass rolleyes.gif . Maybe it's because the original note is A and not G that the error has occurred, ie the bend to B from G would be two whole tones as you obviously know, but as it's played in the video to B from A then it's only a single tone. Not complaining buddy, just a heads up wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 2 2019, 09:54 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 3 2019, 12:01 AM
Good eye and good ear Phil! Thanks for the heads up, take a look now.
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 2 2019, 04:49 PM) *
Todd, I can see what you're doing in the video so it's not a big deal but the TAB and the GP5 file are incorrect unless I'm missing something.

The first note is bent on the 14th fret not the twelfth, also it sounds like a two fret not a two tone bend to my ears but my ears ain't that good so I could be blowing outta my ass rolleyes.gif . Maybe it's because the original note is A and not G that the error has occurred, ie the bend to B from G would be two whole tones as you obviously know, but as it's played in the video to B from A then it's only a single tone. Not complaining buddy, just a heads up wink.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 3 2019, 09:40 PM
Take 1 Sarge, how would you describe my picking technique? Is it economy? I didn't think about it I just did it and when I watched the video it looked weird.

https://youtu.be/eknpKmvvf8Y

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 4 2019, 02:01 AM
I"d call it econ picking "Ish"! smile.gif Econ is just two up or down strikes in a row when it comes down to it. Soo any time you use the same pick direction on two ore more notes, you are doing a bit of ECON PICKING. It can be more than two of course, but two is all it really takes. This is really a classic blues lick with a bit extra thrown in on top to make it a bit more fun. smile.gif I like the sort of improv you do when you slow it down a bit. Cool stuff!! You've got this one. You are ready to move on and kick it where it counts!

You just...
LEVLELED UP!!
Attached Image

Todd

u describe my picking technique? Is it economy? I didn't think about it I just did it and when I watched the video it looked weird.

https://youtu.be/eknpKmvvf8Y

[/quote]

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 4 2019, 09:45 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 4 2019, 08:59 AM
Thanks Sarge,

Badge is number 75 now though not 77 wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Adam
Feb 12 2021, 12:13 AM
Learning Roadie

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 13 2021, 04:58 AM
BINGO! Good bend to pitch! That's the tricky part. It's very easy not to hit that pitch but you got it! Then the rest of it is far more complicated than the traditional lick on which it's based. It's a modern modification of a traditional blues lick that adds the minor scale in to things to create a Blues/Natrual Minor combo lick. I love to blend scales when possible. It adds a unique coloring to any solo when you are able to blend more than one scale in a single licks. I hope that this lick inspires you to try new things in your own solos! Actually, this lick works great in any solo that has a minor or blues progression in it! You got this down.

You just..

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Adam @ Feb 11 2021, 07:13 PM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:27 PM