Playing Along With Backing Track
nguyenc777
Apr 17 2013, 04:09 PM
GMC:er
Hi guys,

My name is Chris and I joined GMC about 2 months ago. I'm already seeing improvement in my playing which is amazing. Did all the lessons in absolute beginners and a few beginners lessons no problem. Now I'm emphasizing more on techniques that I want to master and they are jumping in difficulties which is not a problem as I can play slow and work my way up to play along with the instructor.

My problem is just playing with the backing track alone. When playing along to the video, I can follow the video just fine but I get lost with the backing track. Don't know what point of the song I'm at or when the notes should go together. I guess my solution may be work with a metronome more but it's still a bit tough to incorporate it to play along with the backing track itself.

I'm currently working on the lesson "Classical Ballad Bending Techniques" by Ivan Milenkovic

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Classi...ing_Techniques/

Any tips of how I can improve on playing along with backing tracks?

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 17 2013, 04:38 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! This is something that usually happens. Did you try using the slower backings? Do you have the same problem?

Once way to solve this problem would be to sing the guitar lines over the backing to incorporate the lesson in your mind, connected with the backing track. If you can sing it, you should be able to then play it. Try this method, starting with slower backings and let me know if it works!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
nguyenc777
Apr 17 2013, 06:52 PM
Thanks Gabriel,

I have tried the slower backing track but also have the same problem. I will try to singing the guitar part tonight and let you know.

+Quote Post
dcz702
Apr 17 2013, 08:56 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (nguyenc777 @ Apr 17 2013, 03:09 PM) *
Hi guys,

My name is Chris and I joined GMC about 2 months ago. I'm already seeing improvement in my playing which is amazing. Did all the lessons in absolute beginners and a few beginners lessons no problem. Now I'm emphasizing more on techniques that I want to master and they are jumping in difficulties which is not a problem as I can play slow and work my way up to play along with the instructor.

My problem is just playing with the backing track alone. When playing along to the video, I can follow the video just fine but I get lost with the backing track. Don't know what point of the song I'm at or when the notes should go together. I guess my solution may be work with a metronome more but it's still a bit tough to incorporate it to play along with the backing track itself.

I'm currently working on the lesson "Classical Ballad Bending Techniques" by Ivan Milenkovic

Thanks

hi thought id chime in since im pretty new myself.
before i joined GMC my practice routine would be to learn the songs i wanted and play along. or practicing scales using i simple drum beat from my loopstation.
wheni started playing with backtracks only, i found my self getting lost. just like gabe said i would sing the part that im trying to play in my head or outloud against the backing track. i found it easier to do this after i have memorized the part, and i alway try to think a bar or two ahead so i dont loose the groove i clear my mind and think of the sound of my part and it plays in my head while i play through my guitar.listen to whats being played in the backing track and use certain beats and 2nd guitar parts as queues to when you need to play your part, and try to follow it will get easier, i hope that makes sence and welcome to the coolest guitar site on the internet! smile.gif

This post has been edited by dcz702: Apr 17 2013, 09:15 PM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 18 2013, 03:45 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (nguyenc777 @ Apr 17 2013, 04:09 PM) *
Hi guys,

Thanks

if you have guitar pro( if not you can download tuxguitar for free) and open up the gtpro 5 file ( upper right hand corner of lesson), you can the slow the tempo down and turn on the metronome within tux
let me know if you need further help

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 18 2013, 06:52 AM
Dont feel bad man, this is just a normal part of learning the ropes wink.gif When you hit a stick point like this, it's a good idea to slow things down a bit. Back off the speed to the point where you can play the bit perfectly and yes working with a metronome isa GREAT idea. So many players say they "hate" working with a metronome and it's not hard to tell by listening which folks do and don't. I"m not saying to marry a metronome, but it's important to be able to play to a click and keep it clean. It prepares you to play with drummers and helps burn proper timing in to your head.

So yeah, try a metronome and slow down a bit, then work back up to speed and bingo!!!

Todd

QUOTE (nguyenc777 @ Apr 17 2013, 11:09 AM) *
Hi guys,

Thanks

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 18 2013, 09:15 AM
Instructor
Mate smile.gif I will come up with a video for ya. It's easier to explain things that way, so stay tuned a little bit later on today and I hope I will be able to clear things up.

Here ya go!

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Apr 18 2013, 04:29 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 18 2013, 02:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (nguyenc777 @ Apr 17 2013, 02:52 PM) *
Thanks Gabriel,

I have tried the slower backing track but also have the same problem. I will try to singing the guitar part tonight and let you know.

Ok, so try singing and as Todd said, start with slower tempos. Let me know how it evolves!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
nguyenc777
Apr 18 2013, 05:50 PM
Thanks for all the replies. All inputs are great suggestions and I will definitely give everyone one of them a shot this weekend when I have more time away from work to practice. I do have Guitar Pro but don't use it too much. I may start if it works out for me.

One thing I would like you guys input is the way I approach lessons.

1) Listen to the lesson
2) Play the provided tabs slowly to get the muscle memory.
3) Try to play along with the section of the lesson.
4) Play along with the backing track only.

Between step 3-4 is where I try to play with a metronome a bit to incorporated it with the backing track.

This could be my problem as I probably should play with a metronome at step 2.

Would you change anything about my practice routine for each lessons?

Thanks all.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 19 2013, 08:18 AM
Instructor
Mate, the plan of action sounds good, but at step 2, I would definitely implement the metronome practice.

First, pay attention to the note and rest durations in the GP file and after you have associated them with the actual melody/ riff/ chords/ whatever the part you are learning is made up of, play that part against the metronome at a slow speed.

After you will be able to play that part against the metronome in a perfect shape, you will play it against the backing as well smile.gif

At last night's video chat session I have discussed about the advantages and disadvantages of the backing track from different perspectives:

- Advantage: IF you know your parts well, it will give you support and help you interpret better
- Disadvantage: IF you don't know your parts well, it will confuse you and draw your attention to its elements making you feel lost really quickly

Let us know how the process goes for you after learning a lesson with the new routine. After that, record it and post it here. I'd like to help out further and see how it went smile.gif

+Quote Post
dcz702
Apr 19 2013, 11:42 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (nguyenc777 @ Apr 17 2013, 03:09 PM) *
Hi guys,

Thanks

As everyone here has said playing with a metronome helps a lot . I have got a loop station that I use as my metronome everytime I try to get something down at regular tempo and slowed down. It's really easy to use and you can also record yourself while you play, wich had help me pick out my problem areas. Check it out its my most used and favorite pedal on my board.

This post has been edited by dcz702: Apr 19 2013, 11:46 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 20 2013, 10:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (dcz702 @ Apr 19 2013, 10:42 PM) *
As everyone here has said playing with a metronome helps a lot . I have got a loop station that I use as my metronome everytime I try to get something down at regular tempo and slowed down. It's really easy to use and you can also record yourself while you play, wich had help me pick out my problem areas. Check it out its my most used and favorite pedal on my board.

Ah, nice tool man - I've tried this one:

...and at the moment I did, I found it amazing smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 20 2013, 04:48 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (nguyenc777 @ Apr 17 2013, 05:09 PM) *
Hi guys,

Thanks

This is completely normal when starting play along backing tracks. It takes some time to get used to playing against a full band (back track) time reference. Even if you always practice with a metronome, playing along a backing track and drums takes some practice to get used to.

What I would suggest is to start with really easy lessons, preferably rhythm focused ones and practice keeping time with the backing tracks. If you are having trouble with playing solos with correct timing that is normal as memorizing timing of the notes is as challenging as memorizing which notes to play. Practice along with the video until you get it internalized and then quickly (while you still remember the timings) turn on the backing track with no guitar in it and try to play it.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 21 2013, 02:57 PM
Instructor
And to support Bogdan's suggestion, I have made a little start-up selection for you:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...rumming-Rhythm/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...r-blues-rhythm/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...ds-rock-rhythm/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/rhythm..._for_beginners/

These are various styles and they will help in taking you through different types of backing tracks as well. Take each one at a time and try to be as precise in your rhythm playing as possible.

Compare yourself to the original recording, by playing over it. Record such a take and observe it - is it 100% accurate?

Let me know how it feels and we can discuss more after you take a look over these, ok?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
nguyenc777
Apr 21 2013, 08:17 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 18 2013, 08:15 AM) *
Mate smile.gif I will come up with a video for ya. It's easier to explain things that way, so stay tuned a little bit later on today and I hope I will be able to clear things up.

Here ya go!

Thanks for the video. Very helpful.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 21 2013, 01:57 PM) *
And to support Bogdan's suggestion, I have made a little start-up selection for you:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...rumming-Rhythm/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...ds-rock-rhythm/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/rhythm..._for_beginners/

These are various styles and they will help in taking you through different types of backing tracks as well. Take each one at a time and try to be as precise in your rhythm playing as possible.

Compare yourself to the original recording, by playing over it. Record such a take and observe it - is it 100% accurate?

Let me know how it feels and we can discuss more after you take a look over these, ok?

Cosmin

I did the video with Bear and have completed it not problem. I think my problem is I'm jumping grades too early and need to work on my rhythm more before tackling techniques for solos. Need to step back and practice the problems you've suggested. I currently don't have recording devices so I can't post videos. :-(

The two loop pedals that was introduced in the posts looks interesting. I may have to invest in one later on.

Thanks everyone for contributing. All very helpful comments and suggestions. :-)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 22 2013, 07:36 AM
Instructor
Hey man! Glad we could help smile.gif

Patience is another virtue which you have to develop - don't try to jump to a higher level of execution, without being sure that you can tackle the one you are currently at. Remember: clean playing, great timing, interpretation and great tone make a seasoned guitarist that plays simple sound amazing in comparison with a player that wants to impress the audience and plays a complicated piece, sloppy, with bad tone, no control, no interpretation and bad timing.

Easy does it, aye? smile.gif Let us know how things are going and I strongly recommend you to buy a video cam, so that you can record your playing and show us. Your progress will boost visibly!

All the best

Cosmin

+Quote Post
nguyenc777
Apr 25 2013, 05:45 PM
Got a chance to practice a bit last weekend and I must say that it was a good thing I dropped my current lesson and tried one of the lesson Cosmin suggested.

I usually didn't pull out the metronome till I can play along with the instructor in the video but I just used it from the beginning for this and boy can I tell the different in my playing when incorporating it with the backing track.

I believe that I was also skipping difficulties and trying lessons beyond my level and this got me to realize that and take a step back. I finished the lesson yesterday so I'm going to be looking for more lessons on rhythm before moving on to specific techniques for soloing so I can get a better grasp on timing.

dcz702 and Cosmin also posted two loop pedals which got me really interested. I've been doing some research on the two Boss rc-3 and rc-30 and decided to get one. My problem is I'm a little torn between the two. Can't decide which one I should get. Anyone own these loopers who can comments on the pros/cons and which one would you recommend?

Thanks

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Apr 25 2013, 06:11 PM
QUOTE (nguyenc777 @ Apr 25 2013, 12:45 PM) *
Got a chance to practice a bit last weekend and I must say that it was a good thing I dropped my current lesson and tried one of the lesson Cosmin suggested.

I usually didn't pull out the metronome till I can play along with the instructor in the video but I just used it from the beginning for this and boy can I tell the different in my playing when incorporating it with the backing track.

I believe that I was also skipping difficulties and trying lessons beyond my level and this got me to realize that and take a step back. I finished the lesson yesterday so I'm going to be looking for more lessons on rhythm before moving on to specific techniques for soloing so I can get a better grasp on timing.

dcz702 and Cosmin also posted two loop pedals which got me really interested. I've been doing some research on the two Boss rc-3 and rc-30 and decided to get one. My problem is I'm a little torn between the two. Can't decide which one I should get. Anyone own these loopers who can comments on the pros/cons and which one would you recommend?

Thanks

As a guy I work with always tells everyone when they get frustrated, "Don't sweat the small stuff". This is the truth, its a challenge each one as you continue this journey will continue to get harder as you go. But each time you reach out and grab the challenge and accomplish it, you also feel accomplished and gain a slight high for yourself. Oh man I did it, I didn't believe it at first but WOW! biggrin.gif But with the harder tasks at hand you become more familiar with what works for you in how to get better. Everyone learns different just always remember there is no stupid questions and feel free to post them! smile.gif

As for the loopers I can use this as an example because I've used something similar to both. I ran a JamMan that a single pedal, works great takes time to get use to as to how many clicks does what. Such as stop,play, erase, pause, record again. I also used a Pod HD500 shortly and to me it was easier to use because it relied on 2 pedals. 1 would record, stop, and start. The other would undo and delete. If the 100 is too much to justify the extra pedal maybe toss the DigiTech JML2 JamMan into the mix as it's priced between those 2 items.

Hope this may help answer the question upon the looper and happy plucking!

P.S. Beware when Cosmin pulls out all the strings and has you learn https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The-Vo...Of-Your-Guitar/.
I've played for years and this was a real kicker! tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
dcz702
Apr 26 2013, 07:56 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (nguyenc777 @ Apr 25 2013, 04:45 PM) *

Thanks

Hey man. The rc-3 is a very fun pedal to use and a great tool. Go to the shop and try it out I can't tell u about the rc30 because I haven't used it but I think it just has more features. The rc-3 records 3 hours has 5 patterns including just a click. Also has a input to plug in mp3 to play stuff through your amp wich comes in handy for laid back jammin to you fave songs. Sounds like the rc3 would be all you really need cause basically you want a metronome. The rc3 is that and more.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 26 2013, 11:45 AM
Instructor
I am very glad to see that you are already reaping the benefits of healthy practice smile.gif Please keep us updated and post recordings if you can, so that you and us as well, can monitor your progress. There will come a time for the lesson that SpaseMoonkey was talking about smile.gif No one escapes that biggrin.gif

About the loop stations, I will let the true users talk to you about them as I am not experienced enough in the field.

Have you tried all the lessons that I have suggested? Might be it would be a good idea to go through all of them smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:36 AM