2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Request To All Instructors:, The slowed down pieces.
kjutte
Nov 15 2008, 05:30 PM
GMC:er
Hi.

It is really, really hard to keep track of the real beat in the section, when the slowed videos start off with a slow, instead of the realtime example.

I'd like to hear other member's opinions, and if they agree, I hope that you (instructors) from now on, do the realtime part first, then slow it down.

Thanks in advance!

Edit:
Slow first isn't a problem if the slowed version is played with a metronome, but it usually isn't.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by kjutte: Nov 15 2008, 07:10 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Nov 15 2008, 06:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (kjutte @ Nov 15 2008, 11:30 AM) *
Hi.

It is really, really hard to keep track of the real beat in the section, when the slowed videos start off with a slow, instead of the realtime example.

I'd like to hear other member's opinions, and if they agree, I hope that you (instructors) from now on, do the realtime part first, then slow it down.

Thanks in advance!

That's a realy easy fix and good suggestion I think.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Kuba Szafran
Nov 15 2008, 06:12 PM
Instructor
No problem for me, I will remember about it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Nov 15 2008, 06:13 PM
I completely agree.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 15 2008, 06:39 PM
Great. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 15 2008, 06:47 PM
Instructor
Sounds like a good plan
It would be nice to put a voting poll on this and see how many students are for and against.
I personally prefer when you hear example slow and then hear it fast. That way you can play along with the slow one and build up to play fast one.
I have seen fast then slow one in lots of instructional dvd's but again its up to you guys. Voting would be cool though smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 15 2008, 06:58 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Nov 15 2008, 06:47 PM) *
Sounds like a good plan
It would be nice to put a voting poll on this and see how many students are for and against.
I personally prefer when you hear example slow and then hear it fast. That way you can play along with the slow one and build up to play fast one.
I have seen fast then slow one in lots of instructional dvd's but again its up to you guys. Voting would be cool though smile.gif

Slow is nice, but it makes you forget the rhythm unless the instructor is using a metronome, which few are.

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Nov 15 2008, 07:04 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
I think slow and than fast is better. Why? Because it is easier to go back to the beginning than searching the middle of the video for slower playing. And when I am learning the feel of the song, I work with the slower takes 90% of the time. After I know the feel/sound of the melody well, I don't need those videos that much - tabulature + backing tracks are good enough.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 15 2008, 07:05 PM
Order has never bothered me on the slows. However, I will mentioned the things that have in the past.

1) When the timing in the slow version is not that of the as the fast version. There are times when the instructor really does not try to capture the real timing much at all, or may play notes in an AP run as triplets when in fact, the beat is 4/4 in the real version.

2) I always have wanted a full length version without backing, as well as the one with the backing. Only O'Toole did that. It seems like an obvious thing, I can only conjecture why this has not been provided, there probably is some reason, either from Kris (to avoid people copying by ear rather than paying), or just that the guys are professionals, and want to sound as good as they can on something like that. Or something else, I don't know.

But I consider this far and away the best site on earth, with world class instructors, I don't expect anyone to walk on water.

edit: spelled "there" wrong.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Nov 15 2008, 07:06 PM

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 15 2008, 07:09 PM
QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Nov 15 2008, 07:04 PM) *
I think slow and than fast is better. Why? Because it is easier to go back to the beginning than searching the middle of the video for slower playing. And when I am learning the feel of the song, I work with the slower takes 90% of the time. After I know the feel/sound of the melody well, I don't need those videos that much - tabulature + backing tracks are good enough.

I agree if the slowed version is in time.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 15 2008, 07:15 PM
QUOTE (kjutte @ Nov 15 2008, 01:09 PM) *
I agree if the slowed version is in time.

I thought that was what you were getting at. I sensed a bit of frustration in your original post, which I have felt, when the timing was not correct on the slow version. That can cause the learner problems.

+Quote Post
Siggum
Nov 15 2008, 07:23 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Nov 15 2008, 07:15 PM) *
I thought that was what you were getting at. I sensed a bit of frustration in your original post, which I have felt, when the timing was not correct on the slow version. That can cause the learner problems.

Nice pic Fkalish, is that ur dog?

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 15 2008, 07:27 PM
GMC Founder
Personally - I prefer having the fast version first. Usually I just want to learn a section/lick - I'll click around the videos to find the one I am looking for, and it's a lot easier if I get to hear the fast one first!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
Nov 15 2008, 07:33 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Zizi Top)
QUOTE (kjutte @ Nov 15 2008, 05:30 PM) *
Hi.

Thanks in advance!

Edit:
Slow first isn't a problem if the slowed version is played with a metronome, but it usually isn't.

I just published my last lesson, it has real tempo then slow tempo and both with metronome, smile.gif

--------------------
I endorse Sp custom pickups

Check out some of my work :
Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 15 2008, 07:41 PM
QUOTE (Siggum @ Nov 15 2008, 01:23 PM) *
Nice pic Fkalish, is that ur dog?

no, just thought it was a cute dog. my dog is pretty cute. I highly recommend that young guys get a mutt like mine and walk him a lot. Cute girls always pay notice to my dog, smile and want to pet him. The picture does not capture it all. He has a big dog smile, walks with a waddle and wagging tail.

Attached Image

QUOTE (Jad Diab @ Nov 15 2008, 01:33 PM) *
I just published my last lesson, it has real tempo then slow tempo and both with metronome, smile.gif

Some instructors have been great about this, going back to the Ghost of Pavel. I think that there have been times when some just thought "show the notes, they can get the timing from the fast version". But a guy who is skilled can forget that a guy who is new at it, will have a hard time doing that.

This does not bother me anymore, because I know better what is going on. But it did in my first year, year and a half.

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Nov 15 2008, 07:46 PM
I agree with Kris, I prefer fast first - the lick sinks into my skull, then slow so I can practice it.

I must say I really cannot stand talking before each video, I personally think that's a mega waste of time. Really Davids setup is the most ideal, talk about the lesson for a few minutes before you delve into it. Reading the text that accompanies every video before the video starts is like going to a presentation and just having slides read off to you, it's boring, and can be avoided - we can read after all.

Anyways, I'm just happy to have the videos at all. Just my suggestion.

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 15 2008, 07:58 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 15 2008, 07:27 PM) *
Personally - I prefer having the fast version first. Usually I just want to learn a section/lick - I'll click around the videos to find the one I am looking for, and it's a lot easier if I get to hear the fast one first!

That too, without doubt! smile.gif

QUOTE (fatb0t @ Nov 15 2008, 07:46 PM) *
I agree with Kris, I prefer fast first - the lick sinks into my skull, then slow so I can practice it.

I must say I really cannot stand talking before each video, I personally think that's a mega waste of time. Really Davids setup is the most ideal, talk about the lesson for a few minutes before you delve into it. Reading the text that accompanies every video before the video starts is like going to a presentation and just having slides read off to you, it's boring, and can be avoided - we can read after all.

Anyways, I'm just happy to have the videos at all. Just my suggestion.

Talking is fine, but personally I always want to see the realtime play first, becuase of loading time.
For someone that knows his stuff, talking could be at end, but for someone that needs to know the facts, it's essential to have the walkthrough before the play I believe.

Off topic biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 15 2008, 08:33 PM
Instructor
Yes I do agree fast version is better to be first (I always put in first).

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Siggum
Nov 15 2008, 08:40 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Nov 15 2008, 07:41 PM) *
no, just thought it was a cute dog. my dog is pretty cute. I highly recommend that young guys get a mutt like mine and walk him a lot. Cute girls always pay notice to my dog, smile and want to pet him. The picture does not capture it all. He has a big dog smile, walks with a waddle and wagging tail.

Cool dog ya got there biggrin.gif

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 16 2008, 12:02 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I also agree that the fast version should be first,so you get an idea what you are going to learn and prepare for that..I always put the real tempo part first.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:02 PM