Building A Site
Phil66
Jul 2 2017, 10:02 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello folks,

Firstly thanks to Kris for letting me mention the on his forum smile.gif I'm slowly building a web site such I hope will be useful. If you get five minutes please check it out and give me any tips.

At the moment I think I'm going to concentrate on the effects section as I think this will be what most people will want to look at most of the time, what do you think?

I don't get much time, I usually spend an hour or so while watching TV with my wife after my guitar practise, also I'm doing it on a laptop and is not quite as quick as a separate mouse and keyboard, I hate touchpads mad.gif laugh.gif

Anyway, if you click on the effects section the are a few links for the Boss DS1, also there is a link in the lessons section wink.gif

Any advice is appreciated, I'd rather make changes now before it gets too big to make changes easily.

www.toxicguitar.com

I'm hoping to get discreet advertising on there to generate revenue to at least cover costs but haven't a clue how to do that.

Cheers

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 2 2017, 10:05 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 2 2017, 05:58 PM
GMC:er
Congrats on your site!! smile.gif Looks cool. Driving traffic is one of the major mysteries of the modern age. Thankfully there are wads of resources on the web about it and there are good examples of guitar focused blogs/sites that manage to drive traffic that you can use as sources of inspiration. Sadly, a little "Click Bait" goes a long way, but it makes me feel dirty so I try to avoid it. sad.gif Here is a good example of a guitar site that manages to drive traffic, and has ads that don't get in the way.

I'd suggest avoiding just linking out to other sites if possible as that gets folks outside of your revenue window. You really want them to stay on your site so that they are exposed to your adsense ads or whatever ad platform you choose.

http://iheartguitarblog.com/

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 2 2017, 06:01 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 2 2017, 08:10 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 2 2017, 05:58 PM) *
I'd suggest avoiding just linking out to other sites if possible as that gets folks outside of your revenue window. You really want them to stay on your site so that they are exposed to your adsense ads or whatever ad platform you choose.

Thanks Todd, I don't really get what you mean by the bit above though wink.gif Also I've looked at adsense and I am supposed to copy and paste some html into the site but I can't see how to view the site in html.

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 2 2017, 08:26 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 2 2017, 10:17 PM
I'm with Todd on using external links, I feel its like competing with google and its a battle you can't win.

Why not make original content? so when people google they'll find your site, I know I bumped into GMC gear section on a google search even one that I created. You buy and sell many gear so it should be a nice starting point for you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 2 2017, 10:27 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 2 2017, 10:17 PM) *
I'm with Todd on using external links, I feel its like competing with google and its a battle you can't win.

Why not make original content? so when people google they'll find your site, I know I bumped into GMC gear section on a google search even one that I created. You buy and sell many gear so it should be a nice starting point for you.

Sorry buddy

I don't understand what you're saying. sad.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 2 2017, 10:42 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 2 2017, 09:27 PM) *
Sorry buddy

I don't understand what you're saying. sad.gif

I mean instead of sending users to other sites when they want to read a review of say an fx, why don't you write your own review?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 2 2017, 10:44 PM
GMC Founder
First - awesome initiative Phil!

You have started building this site from genuine love for the topic - and not from a monetizing perspective.

This shows in how you structured your content, and in the fact that you don't understand what Todd and Mertay are speaking about.

I would say just keep doing what you do and love. Also, relevant outgoing links in 'human' quantities has never really been a problem from a 'SEO' perspective either (and you really shouldn't care about this stuff anyway - so don't worry if you don't understand the discussion).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 2 2017, 10:50 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jul 2 2017, 10:44 PM) *
This shows in how you structured your content, and in the fact that you don't understand what Todd and Mertay are speaking about.

I would say just keep doing what you do and love. Also, relevant outgoing links in 'human' quantities has never really been a problem from a 'SEO' perspective either (and you really shouldn't care about this stuff anyway - so don't worry if you don't understand the discussion).

I'm completely lost mate lol.

I am thinking I should just cancel the project wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 2 2017, 10:53 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 2 2017, 11:50 PM) *
I'm completely lost mate lol.

I am thinking I should just cancel the project wink.gif

No just keep doing it it because you love it - that's how you build something good.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 3 2017, 09:03 AM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 2 2017, 10:42 PM) *
I mean instead of sending users to other sites when they want to read a review of say an fx, why don't you write your own review?

Because I would have to buy every single pedal and guitar out there. The database is going to be covering everything available eventually. smile.gif

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jul 2 2017, 10:53 PM) *
No just keep doing it it because you love it - that's how you build something good.

Thank Kris smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 3 2017, 01:02 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 3 2017, 08:03 AM) *
Because I would have to buy every single pedal and guitar out there. The database is going to be covering everything available eventually. smile.gif

Oh ok then, I didn't imagine you're aiming for such a large scale. I'll be following the progress smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 3 2017, 01:13 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 3 2017, 01:02 PM) *
Oh ok then, I didn't imagine you're aiming for such a large scale. I'll be following the progress smile.gif

biggrin.gif I'll probably burn out rolleyes.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 9 2017, 09:00 PM
Hardly had any time this weekend, made a small change to the Boss distortion pedal page though. wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 16 2017, 07:59 PM
Added a couple of DOD/Digitech distortion pedals.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 13 2017, 09:06 PM
Added a couple of Dunlop/MXR distortion pedals smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 13 2017, 09:17 PM
I"m just talking about providing various links that take the user outside of your site. That simple smile.gif Your goal is to try to keep them on your site for as long as possible and hopefully click on an add or two while they are there so you can generate some revenue smile.gif

The cut and paste thing just means you have to copy their HTML code and embed it in your site somewhere. I did it a while back I think they have pretty detailed instructions?

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 2 2017, 03:10 PM) *
Thanks Todd, I don't really get what you mean by the bit above though wink.gif Also I've looked at adsense and I am supposed to copy and paste some html into the site but I can't see how to view the site in html.

Cheers

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 13 2017, 09:38 PM
They have rejected my request for adverts because I don't have enough text!!!!!!!

I think the issue is that I've been using a "small heading" for the links. I'm starting to add text as a paragraph now, hopefully it will see that as proper text.

I've accidentally found the html view now, CTRL + U

I don't have the knowledge to create a site where people stay on it. I'm just trying to create something to make it easy to discover things. Everything opens in a new window so they'll hopefully go back to the Toxic site.

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 14 2017, 04:47 PM
You can do both as learn smile.gif On each page, make sure there is enough text to illustrate what the page is about. Not just a header and a collection of links. You can have the links as filler till you can create enough of your own content. By "your own content" i mean reviews of every bit of gear you own done as video reviews with a text synopsis below. Make sense?

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 13 2017, 04:38 PM) *
They have rejected my request for adverts because I don't have enough text!!!!!!!

I think the issue is that I've been using a "small heading" for the links. I'm starting to add text as a paragraph now, hopefully it will see that as proper text.

I've accidentally found the html view now, CTRL + U

I don't have the knowledge to create a site where people stay on it. I'm just trying to create something to make it easy to discover things. Everything opens in a new window so they'll hopefully go back to the Toxic site.

Cheers buddy.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 15 2017, 08:32 PM
Makes sense mate but, I don't think I can do the gear I own justice enough to do a review. I wouldn't really know how to narrate a review, I don't have much experience with gear to say things like, "You get that gorgeous Marshal growl" or, "Nice an creamy tone like a Fender Twin", in fact I don't think I've heard (not knowingly anyway) and classic amps etc.

Thanks for your interest though.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:41 AM